Terraria State of the Game - August 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
2023-09-01-091658_192x163_scrot.png

This looks like it might be from Dead Cells. A spear maybe? Or maybe it's a magic staff.

New stuff is cool and always welcome, but I'm glad that the Devs are improving on stuff that's already in the game and has needed love for quite some time! This game has an almost obnoxious amount of content, however, some of these updates have made old and ever newer additions kinda meh, by simply being too cool, or too interesting, to bother doing anything else [the now fixed Fledgling Wings for example]. I hope that aspect gets addressed more, because it's not quite power creep that's causing issues anymore, maybe something more along the lines of "spectacle creep"?

Anyway, the changes to Phaseblades/ sabers and the upgraded Yoyo Bag, seem like steps in the right direction. For what it's worth, Terraria has felt like a complete experience since version 1.4.0, and though the added features felt like the game started ballooning, things eventually worked themselves out in the end... for the most part. I honestly don't think that Terraria benefits very much from "new stuff", more than it does new experiences, or in more relatable terms, features added to the game such as the Special Seeds, that change the way Players approach and think about the game; that's where I feel Terraria is at its best!

Anyhow, I'm a fan of these new changes and adjustments, pulling back on the reigns a tad bit was a great call. It's odd that we're still asking for more content, in a game where Players are still discovering content they didn't know was already in the game, but I know that's just me, and will probably be a "just me thing" for as long as I'm here in the forums, heh. :) 🤷‍♀️

have made old and ever newer additions kinda meh, by simply being too cool, or too interesting, to bother doing anything else [the now fixed Fledgling Wings for example]
I don't usually agree with you on much, but I have to agree it's a good thing that Fledgling Wings got sorted out. I had someone who never played before 1.4 tell me that the change to the wings actively gave him a more fulfilling progression experience. Much better as a nice treat.

Do have to agree with the focus on spectacle though I do think there is a power creep element to it too. When the swords got tweaked it seems like they ended up being so flashy and powerful that there was never a reason to use anything else. Like when you get Terra Blade there is basically no other Post-Plantera item on its tier that even comes close to being as strong and bombastic other than like The Horseman's Blade which is still much worse in comparison. It just feels like I'd be playing the game wrong to even bother using an item like Golem Fist when Terra Blade exists.

Last edited:
I like the idea of a yo-yo revamp, the yo-yos have definitely needed some love.

Speaking of yo-yos, I had an idea for a new yo-yo. One that looks like a boulder, perhaps? And has a property where it doesn't bounce as much when it hits an enemy? Maybe found from a Dead Man's Chest in Pre-Hardmode, or drops from an underground desert enemy in hardmode? Just a thought.

All of the new tracks will be added to the Steam OST, Spotify, etc once 1.4.5 is released fwiw
Sorry to bother, but does that include the Aether theme?
I know it was part of the last update, but it's not really available to listen to, except for like on Steam. I would love for it to be released on streaming with all the new ones!

Sorry to bother, but does that include the Aether theme?
I know it was part of the last update, but it's not really available to listen to, except for like on Steam. I would love for it to be released on streaming with all the new ones!

My plan is to add them all at one time when they are all done and close to or at the same time as 1.4.5

You can fish in shimmer, all you catch is the Shimmered debuff. Shimmer Fishing would require an Aetherium Fishing Pole, like swimming in it requires Chromatic Cloak.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom