• @Green_Metaknight

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • @Eye of Cthulhu🌳

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Pirate

Votes: 4 36.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I literally use all of those NPCs. In terms of technicality, I would say the Dye Trader because Dyes have no technical use for game progression other than using Shadow Dye for PvP. Also, @Green_Metaknight🐿️ isn't an NPC. And why include the Zoologist in the poll? She sells 3 mounts, 2 weapons, a minecart, a hook, a light source, the Universal Pylon, and the Guide to Critter Companionship (which is useful for everybody because it keeps critters alive so you can catch and possibly sell them).

Last edited:
I don't play on console, but where is the Pirate???
Basically all he sells is cannons that you probably will never use.

I don't mean any disrespect, but i just thought it would be funny to put Green_metaknight in here

The zoologist sells a whip that will be outclassed by almost anything else,
Her hook sucks, and the ability is annoying
Her mounts are worse than the Lava shark and the Slime mount, obtainable around that time
Nobody uses minecarts more than 5 minutes

And if anyone but you cares about the Guide to critter companionship, i should be an option on this list.

“Useless” is a very subjective term. NPCs like the Dye Trader and Painter could be considered useless because everything they sell is cosmetic. The Cyborg and Arms Dealer could be considered useless because the majority of their items are only helpful to rangers. The Guide could be considered useless by veteran players who have memorized most recipes.

The only objective way I can think of to compare the usefullness of NPCs is how often the average player visits that NPC. Going off this metric the Pirate, Golfer, Princess, Tax Collector, and Santa are the most useless NPCs.

I don't mean any disrespect, but i just thought it would be funny to put Green_metaknight in here

Her mounts are worse than the Lava shark and the Slime mount, obtainable around that time

And if anyone but you cares about the Guide to critter companionship, i should be an option on this list.
the guide to critter companionship is pretty useful for not being surprise-eol'd, and for catching baits early on. also i didn't see any (ANY) other whips prehardmode, so it's at least the easiest to find. and the bunny mount is super cute.

the guide to critter companionship is pretty useful for not being surprise-eol'd, and for catching baits early on. also i didn't see any (ANY) other whips prehardmode, so it's at least the easiest to find. and the bunny mount is super cute.
Snapthorn and spinal tap
I guess so, but ive just never wanted to waste an accessory slot and 4 defense for it

Lava Shark is incredible but only works in liquid, and is often not realistically obtainable around that time.
Slime mount is also incredible, but it has the same issue of being slow on land. The Zoologist's mounts aren't 'worse,' they just have different uses.
Or am I the only one who walks around with multiple mount items in my inventory
The zoologist minecart has a special use that no other minecart has, and it's actually somewhat useful.
I do think that it only becomes obtainable at a point where it loses a lot of that usefulness, though.

“Useless” is a very subjective term. NPCs like the Dye Trader and Painter could be considered useless because everything they sell is cosmetic. The Cyborg and Arms Dealer could be considered useless because the majority of their items are only helpful to rangers. The Guide could be considered useless by veteran players who have memorized most recipes.

The only objective way I can think of to compare the usefullness of NPCs is how often the average player visits that NPC. Going off this metric the Pirate, Golfer, Princess, Tax Collector, and Santa are the most useless NPCs.
You have a good point,
I was talking about practical usefulness
Me and cousin groan when they show up instead of the guide,nurse or demolitionist

Lava Shark is incredible but only works in liquid, and is often not realistically obtainable around that time.
Slime mount is also incredible, but it has the same issue of being slow on land. The Zoologist's mounts aren't 'worse,' they just have different uses.
Or am I the only one who walks around with multiple mount items in my inventory

The zoologist minecart has a special use that no other minecart has, and it's actually somewhat useful.
I do think that it only becomes obtainable at a point where it loses a lot of that usefulness, though.
You are the only one who does that
My cousin does that sometimes

Yeah, but ive rarely seen minecarts used more than
"Hey, a mineshaft. Im gonna ride down it and see if i can find anything interesting"
And then never look at it again

(anything other than the painter is wrong)
Call it a hunch, but you're not a builder, are you?

if anyone votes zoologist, meet me in the car park in an hour, im fully, 100% willing to throw hands over this.
I'll see in the car park in an hour. I want to throw hands over anyone who votes Zoologist too.

Guide to Critter Companionship, Town Pets, Critter Shampoo, Volt Bunny, Ears and Tails, Saplings, and Globes.
TL;DR Lots of cool stuff.

I voted @Green_Metaknight🐿️ (Sorry) because none of the options are useless. I spend way too much time on Vanity to vote for Dye Trader and the Party Girl's Bubble Blocks alone are enough to save her from my vote. My vote would go to Santa.

Edit: Changed vote to Pirate when he was added

Last edited:
While the whip isn't very good, it's still another early-game whip. There aren't many of those.

If you don't like the function, don't use the hook. I find it very handy for surface exploration in the first half of pre-hardmode.

Slime mount is for vertical acceleration, the horses have a different purpose (and they're cool). And Lava shark requires lava fishing, and it's super slow on land.

@Green_Metaknight🐿️ loves using minecarts. You should know, he uses them to fight you.

i should be an option on this list.

Call it a hunch, but you're not a builder, are you?

I'll see in the car park in an hour. I want to throw hands over anyone who votes Zoologist too.

Guide to Critter Companionship, Town Pets, Critter Shampoo, Volt Bunny, Ears and Tails, Saplings, and Globes.
TL;DR Lots of cool stuff.

I voted @Green_Metaknight🐿️ (Sorry) because none of the options are useless. I spend way too much time on Vanity to vote for Dye Trader and the Party Girl's Bubble Blocks alone are enough to save her from my vote. My vote would go to Santa.
1. Wooden box house...?

2. Cool, i guess.

3. Vanity, Cosmetics, vanity, accessory that wates a slot for a minor convenience, axe of regrowth.

4. I put these here because me and my cousin NEVER use them, so its really up to what you do.
Some may be useful for some people, others may hate them.
Lots of people make minecart boss arenas, ask @Green_Metaknight🐿️ how he killed you tbh
We don't cheese bosses here.

While the whip isn't very good, it's still another early-game whip. There aren't many of those.
Were getting more of those, but the Snapthorn is obtainable earlier, and VASTLY outclasses the Leather whip
If you don't like the function, don't use the hook. I find it very handy for surface exploration in the first half of pre-hardmode.
Grappling to trees? You can go faster with Hermes boots than a grapple
Slime mount is for vertical acceleration, the horses have a different purpose (and they're cool). And Lava shark requires lava fishing, and it's super slow on land.
Yeah, we've used the horses before
(As in, once for WoF)
@Green_Metaknight🐿️ loves using minecarts. You should know, he uses them to fight you.
Thanks for removing the context of my statement

Back