Game Mechanics No more Zombies on our Roofs!

Hmm... Maybe make the screen size larger when you build?

this doesn't help with anything, the reason enemies don't spawn on screen is because the area they can spawn in is offscreen, yes, but this area doesn't actually change if you zoom out further. this is why you used to be able to see enemies spawning in if you used binoculars to move the center of the camera around; the spawn area used to be centered around your character, and now it's not. atleast it might've been changed, i can't seem to see enemies spawn onscreen anymore

I'm sorry, because what I'm about to say is going to sound dismissive and possibly even disrespectful
Oh, no, not at all! You are doing exactly what you should do when in disagreement. You are giving great constructive criticism, and I will always be thankful for all constructive criticism!
but nothing you say here changes my mind. I disagree on a fundamental level with this suggestion. Beyond all problems of how it would be implemented and whether or not it's immersive and everything else that I brought up, I think this is at its core a bad suggestion. I do not believe that this is a real problem that needs to be solved, and even if it were, reworking how the entire game spawns monsters is not the way to do it. Terraria is a combat game, and monsters will always be present. If you don't want to deal with them, you can put up walls, get some summons, move more NPCs in, play on Journey Mode... et cetera. The game is under no obligation to give you safety.
This is totally fine if you don't think this is a problem that needs to be solved, or even that this feature wouldn't yield any benefit to gameplay experience. We all have different views on what would make a game enjoyable, after all. :)

You are absolutely right that the game is not obligated to function in any particular way. Let's just say that we would enjoy a more noticeable contrast between feeling the safety of our buildings and castles and feeling the danger of the wilderness outside.

Aren't these the kind of things we want to improve on in the game of Terraria? Instead of adding even more weapons or bosses, etc., as you could always play mods that would satisfy your need for more extreme elements of this nature.
You definitely have no idea how the game's code works

to put it simply, there is no such thing as an "enemy jump height" you could use anywhere in the enemy spawning code. Jumping is a hardcoded behavior, manually written as one out of the many behaviors in each enemy AI.

Being more technical, there are different types of "jumps" too: The usual one is to simply add a certain amount of vertical velocity to the NPC in one tick, this causes the NPC to go up and then gravity takes away vertical velocity until it gets in the negatives and the enemy starts falling back down. In this case the only way to get "jump height" would be to calculate it using the deceleration and the increase to vertical velocity. But then we get to more complex behavior; like how some slimes occasionally have a higher jump or how not all enemies decelerate at the same rate. This means that the only way to get the maximum jump height for all enemies in the game is to literally dig into the code for every single enemy, carefully look into their AI to find all "jump behaviors" and manually write down the maximum height value for each of them.

Let me remind you: Enemy AI is all in one massive, messy file, with tens of thousands of lines of 10 year old code. To say this would be a nightmare is an understatement.

But let's say you decide to do it anyway: First you have to recode the enemy spawn system to actually allow for something like this in the first place, then you dig through old and messy code, look into each and every single NPC AI in the game, manually calculate "maximum jump height" by carefully analyzing their entire AI, and input this maximum height as a hardcoded value for every single NPC that can spawn.

After driving a programmer insane by making him spend days calculating and writing 10000 hardcoded values in what it's now an incredibly messy spawn system, you now have to spend even more time testing this extremely carefully and extensively, making absolutely sure you didn't :red: up enemy spawns outside of towns and making sure the system doesn't lead to any obvious exploits for enemy spawning.

And all of this because... you are bothered by zombies sometimes spawning on your roof. And you are adamant that you are not the only person in this entire thread that feels this way. Nope, not happening.
Thank you for giving constructive feedback, and I appreciate your insights here. But please, you don't have to be rude about it.

We don't have to go through every single AI in the game; we are not doing exact science here. We just need to approximate the jump height for the enemies that I've listed. We don't have to delve into the details of every type of zombie; the types of enemies here are quite a short list to make a rough estimation of their maximum jump height.

We don't need to go through everything in the messy file that you described here; we just need to observe some rough heights and make an estimated variable.

You are just spreading misconceptions here... This feature is obviously not made for the sole reason that I'm bothered by zombies on our roofs.

What is it made for then?
Another reason for this suggestion is to make your base or castle a more viable choice for defense against invasions. For example, in the current state of Terraria, it is much preferred to use an arena outside of your base or simply move away from your base when an invasion or event is happening. However, with this feature enabled, it could be seen as a viable choice to defend our ground at our castle, utilizing the defenses and mitigating the movement of certain invaders. This would prevent them from using your structures against you, as they can do now by spawning everywhere on the roofs, making it much messier than necessary, in my opinion. Of course, events should still be as dangerous. That's why it would be fitting if some enemies got alternative tools to navigate our structures. However this would just be an added bonus.

Another reason is to enhance the contrast between our buildings and the wilderness, creating a cozier feeling when defended properly.

As mentioned before, this would affect more enemies than just zombies, and I am not the only one bothered by walking enemies on the roofs. This feature would address every enemy listed in the post, and it would be effective in every biome, building, and structure. The only exception is towns in classic mode.

We don't need to go through everything in the messy file that you described here; we just need to observe some rough heights and make an estimated variable.
Even if you take a shortcut like that it's still possibly recoding the enemy spawn system and spending a lot of time QAing the entire thing looking for bugs or exploit

Too much work for a minor feature made for a minority

Another reason for this suggestion is to make your base or castle a more viable choice for defense against invasions. For example, in the current state of Terraria, it is much preferred to use an arena outside of your base or simply move away from your base when an invasion or event is happening. However, with this feature enabled, it could be seen as a viable choice to defend our ground at our castle, utilizing the defenses and mitigating the movement of certain invaders. This would prevent them from using your structures against you, as they can do now by spawning everywhere on the roofs, making it much messier than necessary, in my opinion. Of course, events should still be as dangerous. That's why it would be fitting if some enemies got alternative tools to navigate our structures. However this would just be an added bonus.

Another reason is to enhance the contrast between our buildings and the wilderness, creating a cozier feeling when defended properly.

As mentioned before, this would affect more enemies than just zombies, and I am not the only one bothered by walking enemies on the roofs. This feature would address every enemy listed in the post, and it would be effective in every biome, building, and structure. The only exception is towns in classic mode.
I don't see how making enemies not spawn on roofs suddenly makes your base viable.

The roof thing has nothing to do with defense against invasions. Also, a pretty good defense can simply be done by putting a dirt block in front of your doors.

For what its worth…mine will also spawn on balconies with fencing during invasions as well as the roof…quite often leaving doors open. Its annoying though they pose no danger to my 3 NPCs whose balcony doors are NOT openable.

this doesn't help with anything, the reason enemies don't spawn on screen is because the area they can spawn in is offscreen, yes, but this area doesn't actually change if you zoom out further. this is why you used to be able to see enemies spawning in if you used binoculars to move the center of the camera around; the spawn area used to be centered around your character, and now it's not. atleast it might've been changed, i can't seem to see enemies spawn onscreen anymore
Yeah, I didn't actually know that using binoculars, a sniper rifle, or a rifle scope actually changes the spawning area! That's a cool little detail.
Even if you take a shortcut like that it's still possibly recoding the enemy spawn system and spending a lot of time QAing the entire thing looking for bugs or exploit

Too much work for a minor feature made for a minority
There seems to be this misconception that the entire spawning system would have to be recoded. It's my belief that this addition could easily be achieved with just some extra steps when deciding if the mob in question would spawn or not. Nothing in this suggestion is asking for new ways of doing things; the current system already moves down to see what type of block is below. I see no reason to believe that adding another movement step would require a 'whole system rework.' But of course, the developers would have to fact-check us here...

What kind of bugs or exploits would arise from not having walking mobs spawn far above the surface line? Sure, you would have the ability to change the surface line in the game with ease, but this would just revert things to normal, changing the surface line downwards is equivalent to mining the entire surface. How could it possibly get worse than the already existing exploits in the game...

Alright, fair enough. I'm not saying that this would require less work than, let's say, adding a new weapon. However, I do believe this would be more appreciated. Yes, it would probably be appreciated mainly by players who enjoy building in their worlds, but I'm confident that this type of player base will grow over time. As more players complete the progression goals, more of them will be inclined to build additional structures. I believe there are already enough builders who would enjoy this feature to consider it worthwhile. Personally, I would prefer to see these kinds of changes in the game over the addition of more weapons, for example.
I don't see how making enemies not spawn on roofs suddenly makes your base viable.
Well, consider you have built a pretty wide castle with 4 different roofs and surrounded it with walls. Let's say a goblin invasion happens. Now, if you try to defend your castle, you will be disappointed by its ability to guard you, as goblin warriors will start jumping from the roofs and completely fill the castle before you know it. If this feature were enabled, all the walking goblins would stay outside the outer walls, and you would have a much easier time dealing with the invasion, as you would know the direction from which the walking enemies would come, even if they broke the doors. Of course, you would still have to deal with the sorcerer and summoners, and it would be interesting if more goblins had more tools at their disposal to deal with walls. But again, at least we would know where they would come from.

This is just one example build with one example event.
For what its worth…mine will also spawn on balconies with fencing during invasions as well as the roof…quite often leaving doors open. Its annoying though they pose no danger to my 3 NPCs whose balcony doors are NOT openable.
Yes, of course! when I say roofs, it should also be included that balconies fall under roughly the same category in the context of this feature. :)

Oh, no, not at all! You are doing exactly what you should do when in disagreement. You are giving great constructive criticism, and I will always be thankful for all constructive criticism!

This is totally fine if you don't think this is a problem that needs to be solved, or even that this feature wouldn't yield any benefit to gameplay experience. We all have different views on what would make a game enjoyable, after all. :)

You are absolutely right that the game is not obligated to function in any particular way. Let's just say that we would enjoy a more noticeable contrast between feeling the safety of our buildings and castles and feeling the danger of the wilderness outside.

Aren't these the kind of things we want to improve on in the game of Terraria? Instead of adding even more weapons or bosses, etc., as you could always play mods that would satisfy your need for more extreme elements of this nature.

Thank you for giving constructive feedback, and I appreciate your insights here. But please, you don't have to be rude about it.

We don't have to go through every single AI in the game; we are not doing exact science here. We just need to approximate the jump height for the enemies that I've listed. We don't have to delve into the details of every type of zombie; the types of enemies here are quite a short list to make a rough estimation of their maximum jump height.

You are just spreading misconceptions here... This feature is obviously not made for the sole reason that I'm bothered by zombies on our roofs.
no offense but bruh that is so shush are ua pro or noob just make a trap or make a rea they dont spawn think bug like when you do do with ur ideas lmao

Well, consider you have built a pretty wide castle with 4 different roofs and surrounded it with walls. Let's say a goblin invasion happens. Now, if you try to defend your castle, you will be disappointed by its ability to guard you, as goblin warriors will start jumping from the roofs and completely fill the castle before you know it. If this feature were enabled, all the walking goblins would stay outside the outer walls, and you would have a much easier time dealing with the invasion, as you would know the direction from which the walking enemies would come, even if they broke the doors. Of course, you would still have to deal with the sorcerer and summoners, and it would be interesting if more goblins had more tools at their disposal to deal with walls. But again, at least we would know where they would come from.
I don't really see how that's an issue, and makes it impossible to do events at your base.

I DONT SUPPORT THIS IT MAKES THE GAME HARD DONT MAKE THIS A CHANGE
Bruh ar u a pro zombies are east to kill so dont complain
no offense but bruh that is so shush are ua pro or noob just make a trap or make a rea they dont spawn think bug like when you do do with ur ideas lmao
Hello @benny5555 Could you please elaborate on what part of the game becomes more challenging with this feature? This aspect mainly stems from the frustration of the game being difficult in ways that we don't find fair or amusing.

With your other posts, I can't seem to understand what you are trying to say. Please try to be comprehensive so that we can more easily understand your meaning.
I don't really see how that's an issue, and makes it impossible to do events at your base.
Don't you want it to be a viable choice to defend your base, or castle in this example? Do you not think that goblin warriors spawning inside the castle, filling it up from various places, including the roofs, makes this castle a less viable place for defense?

Please explain how this makes events impossible inside the castle. All enemies will be able to spawn if you're even remotely close to a place with no player-placed walls (outside the castle). There is no event where there are only walking enemies. You would never experience the lack of an event because you are inside your base.

Outside the box idea…so instead of all that complicated coding what if post moonlord the steampunker sells an item called the door brace? Its a one block sized background object that prevents the door from opening on the side it is placed by mobs only not players or npcs.
Furniture items already do this by default.

Back
Top Bottom