Official Announcement regarding changes to conversations (private messages)

I really don't mind this, me and my friends (whom I suspect were the main cause of this) already made multiple discord servers to replace the forums in case something like this happened.

Im pretty sure most of us can agree on this:
The best solution is to just use Discord or a similar app.
Is there one for the Nyanko union? (If there is can I get the invite?)

I really don't mind this, me and my friends (whom I suspect were the main cause of this) already made multiple discord servers to replace the forums in case something like this happened.

I mean you're not wrong, but...
Is there one for the Nyanko union? (If there is can I get the invite?)
I would DM it to you, but...

No singular member is the cause of this decision.

Actually, this makes me wonder, how come we didn't make an off-topic thread for it?
Don't tell me we tried and it got rejected again.
That's a good question. As far as I'm aware no thread was attempted to be made, its possible that it was rejected by accident but I don't see any hide nor hair of it.

I wasn't saying a single member, I was saying my entire friend group
"A small group of members" using Convos as a private chat is pretty much what we've been doing, so....
As the person with 100,000 messages, it was definitely not limited to just us.

Anyway, it was fun being in exclusive secret clubs but in retrospect I can see how that was... definitely unintended and I can live without that part.

(Deleted post made by me)
I've seen that a lot of people talk to their friends on the forums through conversations. However, this is not specifically the use of the forums. So, if you don't wish to talk to each other publicly on your profiles, here's a few sites to talk.

#1: Discord
#2: Gmail/Email
#3 Twitter (Dms)

There are more than this, but these are my personal recommendations.

think about this, you are out drinking coffee and talking to your friend, and 4 people surround you and are staring at you and listening to you
It's more accurate to think of the forum is a large cafe and a thread is the table that you're having coffee at, or a convention building. There's lot of different people all talking, most people aren't going to specifically single you out and listen.
Yes but then you want to talk to your own friends privately
Yes, and conversations are there for that to an extent but not to the level that we've seen. Conversations are not intended to be used in-place of apps like discord. I know that not everyone can access those but its not really an excuse. You can still talk privately within reasonable standards but we ask that you attempt to shift the majority of "non private" content to the public space OR use discord/steam if able.

Seems like a more appropriate analogy would be a restaurant that has had a reservation-only party room in the back since its establishment, and now, some of the oldest and most faithful patrons, who were the only ones who bothered using that room, have been told that its capacity has been reduced from 40 people to 4 and that instead they're free to take any table in the main dining area full of noisy people, screaming kids, TVs blaring stuff nobody wants to watch, etc. Otherwise, they'll have to go somewhere else.

Probably the biggest thing that would've made this an easier pill to swallow would have been a 30, 60, or even 90 day heads up that these changes were coming, which would've given users enough time to come up with plans on what to do in lieu of their massive group convos here on the forums. This whole change was handled pretty sloppily imo. Even though the most I do is lurk the game suggestion subforum and Red's activity, I can't help but feel a pinch of contempt towards this thing that's so far outside of my usual sphere of interaction. Even just avoiding the forum another day would've caused me to miss this lol.

Idk if it's possible, but I think coming up with a streamlined way to download/export the existing conversations would go a long way towards acceptence, as taking screenshots or cliking "Save Page As..." hundreds if not thousands of times is radically impractical.

Seems like a more appropriate analogy would be a restaurant that has had a reservation-only party room in the back since its establishment, and now, some of the oldest and most faithful patrons, who were the only ones who bothered using that room, have been told that its capacity has been reduced from 40 people to 4 and that instead they're free to take any table in the main dining area full of noisy people, screaming kids, TVs blaring stuff nobody wants to watch, etc. Otherwise, they'll have to go somewhere else.
A reservation-only room would be more akin to a closed, private section of the forum like a Beta section or by a reach the "Mature Discussions" section that was removed. Not a conversation.

Its true that we could have handled this differently, notifying users beforehand but I really don't think it would have changed anything. People would likely react exactly the same way, we would have these exact same discussions, perhaps even worse knowing that "only had 30 days" remained. I think just ripping off the bandaid is honestly kinder in that respect. However there's no telling if it really was the best decision as we can't very well wind back time, its been done.

Idk if it's possible, but I think coming up with a streamlined way to download/export the existing conversations would go a long way towards acceptence, as taking screenshots or cliking "Save Page As..." hundreds if not thousands of times is radically impractical.
Its certainly something we can look into.

Its true that we could have handled this differently, notifying users beforehand but I really don't think it would have changed anything. People would likely react exactly the same way, we would have these exact same discussions, perhaps even worse knowing that "only had 30 days" remained. I think just ripping off the bandaid is honestly kinder in that respect. However there's no telling if it really was the best decision as we can't very well wind back time, its been done.
I do get that, but I would like to mention though that if you're over the cap, don't want to delete a large conversation, and suddenly now need to exchange contact information in private, you can't. It's still not the most major thing, because people probably should've shared alternatives before, or they could just delete the conversations, but, it's still something that could've been avoided if there was a warning.

(Deleted post made by me)
I've seen that a lot of people talk to their friends on the forums through conversations. However, this is not specifically the use of the forums. So, if you don't wish to talk to each other publicly on your profiles, here's a few sites to talk.

#1: Discord
#2: Gmail/Email
#3 Twitter (Dms)

There are more than this, but these are my personal recommendations.
Gmail is the last place I want to talk with someone, it’s filled with a bunch of junk. I don’t use Twitter or discord and I can’t use Twitter or discord

If there was a method of downloading your old messages to archive them and then there was also advance warning, this probably would have stung far less for the users impacted. For those impacted, it basically is the same thing as just having users be entirely banned for effectively no reason, and then seeing primarily negative reasons for why it happened.

It's very possible to feel like you're "at fault" or "being blamed" for what feels like the removal of a feature. It's no surprise that some of the replies here are so passionate - they sound less accusatory and they sound defensive, as if people feel accused of doing something bad. The tone of the post makes them incredibly difficult to parse as anything other than frustration and lashing out, but that's extremely understandable behavior when an entire feature is removed.
THISSS^^^^^^^^^^^^

Back
Top Bottom