PC Terraria 1.3.0.6 is Live!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The one who's name is spelled just like that. :p

That said, NO one should be being rude in this thread.

Sorry for the incoming ramble. But. When it comes to me, if you are going to tell me you are working too much I will tell you that you should take a break on principal. But I have no control over what you do. I just don't understand the need to fix a bunch of random quirks in the game like the spikes and the lava *now* when it was always a thing. Why must the boss be immune to all quirks? You will work yourself to death trying to fix everything because more often than not fixes create more bugs. You know each update creates more bugs. Will you find them? Do you.. want to find them? Why?

I mean no disrespect but these are the kinds of things I wonder while laying in bed at night. I can understand fixing obvious exploits but changing the game's nature?

That's usually how game development works. Especially if you care about your creation. Do you think it is just these hotfixes that they worked insane hours on?

@Leinfors

Sorry, but I needed to get that out of my system and was just being honest about it. I also wasn't trying to insult him either, but if a "request" affects the community as a whole - I felt the need to give my opinion about it too.

I guess that I'll just stop following the thread because reading stuff like that just makes my stay on the forum a little less enjoyable.

Last edited:
AGain no one's managed to answer why spikes so desperately needed to be changed all of a sudden. That has always been a boss strategy, but no one cared to "fix" it until this Moon Lord boss...

AGain no one's managed to answer why spikes so desperately needed to be changed all of a sudden. That has always been a boss strategy, nut no one cared to "fix" it until this Moon Lord boss...

There has actually been some support for changing this within the Relogic team for a long time now (I've seen Loki post about it for years), but there are a great many things to do when updating to 1.3, and this was one that slipped through the cracks . . . until it was heavily advertised on the forums and youtube as being the easy way to threat-free beat the final boss. So the issue finally got enough priority to be worked on.

You clearly aren't reading my post carefully as I clearly said I WOULD HAVE said those stuffs if it weren't for that mod warning us not to be respectful. But on the topic of challenge, you can go play "I Wanna Be The Guy!" or impossible and and all the other "I wanna be the X" fangames if you want extreme challenge so badly.

And I do apologise for a bit of confusion. I was being sarcastic when I tell the devs to enjoy the groans.

Finally, I've discussed my secret boss approach (note: bosses in general, not just ML) with another user. He claimed that my so called semi cheese was not really a cheese as it still needs me to participate in the fighting of the boss itself, not just stand there and do nothing (I still refuse to disclose my method though publicly).

The only time I think an exploit should be fixed if it starts affecting another player's performance or give them unfair advantage over ANOTHER player. (like the infamous Archon Toilet in Starcraft II, a fix that even many protoss players applaused).

You literally said it. Saying, "I was going to say "insert thing I would say if the moderators hadn't posted a warning not to say it" but now I won't." Doesn't mean you didn't say it.

Well, apparently developers disagree with you, since they want to fix exploits that affect how the game is played in what they view as a negative way.

Sorry for the incoming ramble. But. When it comes to me, if you are going to tell me you are working too much I will tell you that you should take a break on principal. But I have no control over what you do. I just don't understand the need to fix a bunch of random quirks in the game like the spikes and the lava *now* when it was always a thing. Why must the boss be immune to all quirks? You will work yourself to death trying to fix everything because more often than not fixes create more bugs. You know each update creates more bugs. Will you find them? Do you.. want to find them? Why?

I mean no disrespect but these are the kinds of things I wonder while laying in bed at night. I can understand fixing obvious exploits but changing the game's nature?

It is hard to take a break when you have a certain level of dedication to a project. Terraria isn't just a job to our team and it means a lot to us...we don't work crazy hours because we have to, we work crazy hours because we want to. :p

In our eyes, the boss isn't immune to all quirks, there are still plenty of viable ways to beat him. Our programmers/artists/testers spent a ridiculous amount of time on Moon Lord and as the final boss we expect it to have a certain level of difficulty. To ensure this difficulty is met we adjusted a few things so that people actually have to try to defeat the boss. I understand that for some people this sucks but...it is the final boss. I don't expect everyone to agree with us, it is 100% impossible to please everyone. :)

Interesting timing on that, wouldn't you say? You can see how this comes off as "We're just mad the boss can be beat like this", whether that is the intention behind the fixes or not. Like I said, it's been a threat free way to beat anything for years, but only now is it a "prioroty".

That's usually how game development works. Especially if you care about your creation. Do you think it is just these hotfixes that they worked insane hours on?

It's one thing to fix *bugs* and *exploits* because you care about your game. Retconning game nature for a single boss is very curious to me.

AGain no one's managed to answer why spikes so desperately needed to be changed all of a sudden. That has always been a boss strategy, but no one cared to "fix" it until this Moon Lord boss...

I answered you. This isn't even the first time they have done a fix of this type. 1.2 brought about the end of standing on meteorite or hellstone and left clicking.

In addition to what @Leinfors said, standing on a spike wasn't nearly as big of a problem, because they do 40 damage. It was a whole lot less feasible to pull of at the time than standing on fireblocks.

It's one thing to fix *bugs* and *exploits* because you care about your game. Retconning game nature for a single boss is very curious to me.

What game nature was retconned? The separate damage timers was a long time coming and I hope that the Moon Lord is just the start. There has been discussion of it for a long time.

The amount of hours spent spriting the boss and programming the boss was enough to push any sane person to the brink. Luckily for us neither @Crowno or @Yoraiz0r are sane. ;)

Interesting timing on that, wouldn't you say? You can see how this comes off as "We're just mad the boss can be beat like this", whether that is the intention behind the fixes or not. Like I said, it's been a threat free way to beat anything for years, but only now is it a "prioroty".

The timing is pretty clear; it became very obvious that the issue had reached the point where it needed to be addressed. Nothing demonstrates that better than it being used to effortlessly defeat the final boss. And boy was it demonstrated.

And Soulstiger raises a good point; the damage being dealt by spikes was high enough that it was much harder to reach "1 damage status" than it is in 1.3, due both to the new post-Golem gear, as well as Expert mode's defensive buff. By definition, it was not as severe an issue before, because only the most tank-oriented of builds could use it.

It is hard to take a break when you have a certain level of dedication to a project. Terraria isn't just a job to our team and it means a lot to us...we don't work crazy hours because we have to, we work crazy hours because we want to. :p

In our eyes, the boss isn't immune to all quirks, there are still plenty of viable ways to beat him. Our programmers/artists/testers spent a ridiculous amount of time on Moon Lord and as the final boss we expect it to have a certain level of difficulty. To ensure this difficulty is met we adjusted a few things so that people actually have to try to defeat the boss. I understand that for some people this sucks but...it is the final boss. I don't expect everyone to agree with us, it is 100% impossible to please everyone. :)
Well what is "viable" and what isn't? A friend of mine and I beat it by digging a 15x20 pit and standing in a tunnel and we didn't even use statues, potions, anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom