PC Terraria 1.3.0.6 is Live!

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Cheesing" itself isn't bad. It's just the one of the big buzz words recently. The problems happen when mechanic exploits happen. Though, even then it only really becomes a problem if the developers take issue with it.

I'll give two examples of "cheesing."

The first one is an example of what I'd consider an ingenious use of mechanics.
http://forums.terraria.org/index.ph...farm-4-5-planteras-per-hour.8942/#post-256726

The second one not so much. He says it himself in the video, "it's really really simple."

Sadly, recent trap nerfs have broken a number of DicemanX's and Zerogravitas' farms. That just means new designs will have to be devised. It's an exciting time! I always build my own farms and contraptions, but I've used some of their ideas.

Speaking of farm and arena nerfs, my personal theory is that the Skeleton Merchant was added specifically to nerf farms. If you build a farm underground or in the cavern layer in 1.3, you'll quickly notice that he spawns constantly and prevents enemy spawns in a wide area. It's impossible to get rid of him without a nice trap setup.

Fortunately, I've done a great deal of Lihzahrd Temple raiding over the years and have a massive collection of traps, as well as the wiring know-how to create solid unending walls of darts and so on.

In 1.3.0.7, no doubt the Skeleton Merchant will be made immune to traps. ;)

Great idea, let's stop working insane hours to release free updates!
I want to say here that I am really impressed with the amount of patches since the update. Most other games I play don't patch their bugs for weeks and would never have such frequent hotfixes, and those are games that require monthly membership not just a one-time payment.
This is my favourite game and seeing how much the developers care about it makes me smile. I've been looking forward to 1.3 all year and I am not disappointed.
`:passionate:

Could you please add an option to hide accesories in vanity slots?
I'm usually wearing my Celestial Shell in vanity slot to save space and switch to it whenever I need. But I don't want to look like a werewolf just because of that `:cry:
I don't think this will be changed as vanity slots are probably not intended as a space saver, but I was using it like this too, so I agree but don't see it happening ~:sigh:

It's one thing to fix *bugs* and *exploits* because you care about your game. Retconning game nature for a single boss is very curious to me.

Except they aren't changing "game nature". Pretty sure the game is still like it always has been. Just because a tweak or adjustment is made doesn't mean the core of the game is being changed in any way. They've made many similar changes throughout Terraria's development, and heck, if I remember correctly potions didn't even used to have cooldowns back in the day. Tweaking something for a bit more challenge =/= changing "game nature". Potions still heal you, you just can't spam them to effectively become unkillable anymore, for example.

Even when it comes to Moon Lord, they won't rule out all possible means to beat him except a few. They're just trying to get rid of the blatantly obvious, unintended exploits. Like I said in a previous post of mine: Moon Lord has never truly been buffed. Any legit way to beat him still exists and still works.

AGain no one's managed to answer why spikes so desperately needed to be changed all of a sudden. That has always been a boss strategy, but no one cared to "fix" it until this Moon Lord boss...

Because the spikes weren't even supposed to work that way. It's the same reason why fire blocks were changed to deal massive amounts of damage over time. People weren't intended to just ignore boss damage like that. And it doesn't matter when something changes - the fire blocks weren't changed until some time later as well. The point is that if something is blatantly not working the way it's intended it can potentially be changed at some point down the road.

f you build a farm underground or in the cavern layer in 1.3, you'll quickly notice that he spawns constantly and prevents enemy spawns in a wide area. It's impossible to get rid of him without a nice trap setup.
Nah. Boney leaves after a while if he's not on screen. If he does come on-screen though.. better be ready to dunk him into water.

"Cheesing" itself isn't bad. It's just the one of the big buzz words recently. The problems happen when mechanic exploits happen. Though, even then it only really becomes a problem if the developers take issue with it.

http://forums.terraria.org/index.ph...farm-4-5-planteras-per-hour.8942/#post-256726

The second one not so much. He says it himself in the video, "it's really really simple."
So it's pretty much exploiting game mechanics?

So it's pretty much exploiting game mechanics?

Sort of. I don't think it has any one true meaning. Pretty much you can label anything you see as being odd/funny/unintended/game breaking/mechanic abusing as cheesy. It isn't a very good term :p

Except they aren't changing "game nature". Pretty sure the game is still like it always has been. Just because a tweak or adjustment is made doesn't mean the core of the game is being changed in any way. They've made many similar changes throughout Terraria's development, and heck, if I remember correctly potions didn't even used to have cooldowns back in the day. Tweaking something for a bit more challenge =/= changing "game nature". Potions still heal you, you just can't spam them to effectively become unkillable anymore, for example.

Even when it comes to Moon Lord, they won't rule out all possible means to beat him except a few. They're just trying to get rid of the blatantly obvious, unintended exploits. Like I said in a previous post of mine: Moon Lord has never truly been buffed. Any legit way to beat him still exists and still works.

Then I'm sure I will see this fix throughout the entire game and not just bosses?

@Krizz
@Soulstiger

A useful distinction can be made between cheesing, exploiting, and outright cheating, although the lines are always blurry.

Cheesy tactics use game mechanics in the way they were intended to be used, but clearly create a situation in which a boss fight (or farming, etc.) is very easy. A good example of cheesiness is my Expert Moon Lord farm:

797aecc3d4.png

All I really have to do is hold down the D key and LMB to farm Moon Lord with this setup. Note that Heart Statues were nerfed in 1.3 so that they can't produce six hearts simultaneously from six separate wire connections; they will only produce one each, no matter what. I've found 16 Heart Statues in my many hours of playing Terraria, so I'm able to thumb my nose at the new limitation. Despite how cheesy this farm is, the statues aren't being used in unintentional ways. Also, this isn't an ingenious setup by any means.

Exploiting tactics involve taking advantage of an unintentional glitch, flaw, or loophole in the game mechanics. Spike invulnerability, slime invulnerability, lava invulnerability, even hoiking and the old platform elevators are all examples of exploiting. They weren't intended by the developers and it's sensible that Re-Logic is trying (with mixed success) to eliminate these methods.

However, exploits are still often lumped in with cheesing, and indeed the line can be very blurry.

Cheating is when out-of-game, third-party methods are used to alter the game in a way favorable to the player, such as by duping world or character files (the simplest form of cheating, available to everyone), use of inventory editors, mods that confer an unfair or extraordinary advantage of some kind (wall hacks, etc.), and so on.

@Krizz
@Soulstiger

A useful distinction can be made between cheesing, exploiting, and outright cheating, although the lines are always blurry.

Cheesy tactics use game mechanics in the way they were intended to be used, but clearly create a situation in which a boss fight (or farming, etc.) is very easy. A good example of cheesiness is my Expert Moon Lord farm:

797aecc3d4.png

All I really have to do is hold down the D key and LMB to farm Moon Lord with this setup. Note that Heart Statues were nerfed in 1.3 so that they can't produce six hearts simultaneously from six separate wire connections; they will only produce one each, no matter what. I've found 16 Heart Statues in my many hours of playing Terraria, so I'm able to thumb my nose at the new limitation. Despite how cheesy this farm is, the statues aren't being used in unintentional ways. Also, this isn't an ingenious setup by any means.

Exploiting tactics involve taking advantage of an unintentional glitch, flaw, or loophole in the game mechanics. Spike invulnerability, slime invulnerability, lava invulnerability, even hoiking and the old platform elevators are all examples of exploiting. They weren't intended by the developers and it's sensible that Re-Logic is trying (with mixed success) to eliminate these methods.

However, exploits are still often lumped in with cheesing, and indeed the line can be very blurry.

Cheating is when out-of-game, third-party methods are used to alter the game in a way favorable to the player, such as by duping world or character files (the simplest form of cheating, available to everyone), use of inventory editors, mods that confer an unfair or extraordinary advantage of some kind (wall hacks, etc.), and so on.

I personally wouldn't nerf that. It's is all meant to work in that way :)

@Krizz
@Soulstiger

797aecc3d4.png

Eh, I've never really been the type of person to make farms like that, so I've never made a farm before, but I get what you're saying.

To be completely honest, I wouldn't call the first one "cheesing" at all.While it is AFK, I could argue you could probably take the time to kill over 100 Planteras instead of building that. Many people would argue that doing that, especially after you have beaten the boss several times, is fair game.

First time I've heard of any of these bugs. Phantasm works fine for me, as does the Clentaminator with every solution. I know some people were having trouble with cloud saving, but this is the first I've heard of auto saving causing crashing.

Ok I was confused about the Phantasm. I thought it it changed any arrow into a blue homing arrow. Which it does eventually once you keep the button held down and hit an enemy. I thought every arrow that came out of it would be blue. Like how the Shadowflame shoots shadowflame arrows. I just looked at the animation on the WIki and said "well mine isn't shooting fast blue arrows. Should have read further. I'll remove that part.

See basically 75% of the posts in this thread.

Last edited:
Yes, the enjoyment of building a thing in order to do a thing is important, especially for people like me who've been playing this game for way too long.

Exploiting
the old platform elevators
I am not exactly sure about the platform elevators being an exploit.
And if you want to argue that they are, They were a useful one that didn't hurt anything...

I loved it, when I got it finished woosh up to my next floor I went.

I really don't want to label this as an exploit. And if that's a case, then a lot of things in ALL GAMES are exploits, because people use them as they were not meant to be used.
2 Examples;
the Halo 3 map editor with the ability to merge items together (when set on different spawns.)

Using a door in Terraria with a grappling hook on it, launches you forward I am sure that wasn't intended.

Its up to the Devs to say what is "Fixable" in the end but was that really one of the ones that needed to be?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom