Game Mechanics Change player name for the sake of trans people!

Lexi_Luther

Official Terrarian
I've been playing terraria since 2015 and since then I have come out as transgender, with this my name has gone from Zachary Luther to Lexi Luther... I seriously doubt this will gain any kind of traction but basically it kind of feels like my favorite game of all time is dead naming me which doesn't exactly feel great I'll tell you what. Yes I could make a new character and just drop all my old gear onto them but the problem with that is it unmaps everything! which makes sense new character means NEW character which is why I think the ability to change your name would be a really nice addition especially for people like me who no longer identify with their old name. I really hope this reaches someone who can help out the transgender community!

with love;
Lexi

trans flag.jpg

you should be able to do this with terrasavr.
It's actually really strange, some of my characters dont appear in documents -> my games -> terraria -> players I think it might have something to do with the age of my character? Idk I made them in 2015 so they old af

maybe they're tmodloader characters? that's a separate directory (My Games/Terraria/Modloader).
in any case, try searching your drive for .plr files.

Firstly, I agree that renaming a character should be available, at least at a Dresser.

That said, outside of Journey Mode Research, very little is actually tied to a character: Dump everything in a chest, gather up some Life Crystals and Mana Crystals (Maybe Life Fruit too), and you have all the same progression with a fresh name and appearance.

It's actually something of a balance issue, because some stuff is tied to character names. At least Angler quests per the wiki, and I'd guess that hardcore bans and a few similar things are too.

As a fellow Transgender person, I also dislike getting dead named on my own Terraria worlds. Except that's only on my 3DS version, which we all know will never recieve a new update. I think a lot of people agree that renaming your character should be an option without having to change the files of the game.

The other thing is that I don't think I've ever named a game character after my real name.... I will say that not being able to rename characters is at least a hole in the UI.

Hmm. I haven't done multiplayer, but could the mapping issue be handled by opening the world to multiplayer and then putting old and new characters onto a common team?

I agree, why is it so weirdly common to not be able to rename saves?
Terraria fixed it by now, at least on PC, but there are still games that don't allow it...
And, it can't be that hard to implement, right?

I mean, just fixing a spelling mistake is already a problem, not to mention situations like OP's where they simply don't like to be called by that name anymore.
Anyway, to all trans people who read this, I hope games are the only ones still dead naming you, and that people around you are more accepting!

Guys, about the renamining thing I know 1.4.2 added that feature but the consoles are currently 1.4.0.5, i know the feeling though i was gonna rename a world and couldn't find the button cause there wasn't then I remembered oh that was added in 1.4.2, but that feature will come eventually i believe during the parity update but i think they want to get Console(Switch) up to 1.4.0.5 before that begins, as for the trans thing well thats fine, I respect you for who you are, don't worry.

Back
Top Bottom