Weapons & Equip New Martian Saucer's weapon - Railgun

Is this a joke suggestion? 1000 base damage is ludicrously high.
It also has a 3-second charge time, which is ludircously long. This would give it 333 base dps, which is actually quite low for a Martian Drop; Xenopopper has 540, though it has different ammos to increase its damage and utility; Laser Machine Gun caps out at a whopping 1,200 base DPS. This weapon would mainly be for crowds and wall-piercing, as it would be outclassed in the damage department by almost everything else at the tier.

Edit: The suggestion also says the beam lasts for half a second; I'm wondering if that means it multi-hits, and if it does, how many iframes it inflicts. If it's the standard 10 iframes, then it would hit 3 times, resulting in 1000 base DPS, which  would be quite overpowered for destroying crowds.

Last edited:
It also has a 3-second charge time, which is ludircously long. This would give it 333 base dps, which is actually quite low for a Martian Drop; Xenopopper has 540, though it has different ammos to increase its damage and utility; Laser Machine Gun caps out at a whopping 1,200 base DPS. This weapon would mainly be for crowds and wall-piercing, as it would be outclassed in the damage department by almost everything else at the tier.

Edit: The suggestion also says the beam lasts for half a second; I'm wondering if that means it multi-hits, and if it does, how many iframes it inflicts. If it's the standard 10 iframes, then it would hit 3 times, resulting in 1000 base DPS, which  would be quite overpowered for a weapon focused on Crowd Control.
Huh... somehow, I missed the bit about the 3 second charge up time. My bad.

Edit: The suggestion also says the beam lasts for half a second; I'm wondering if that means it multi-hits, and if it does, how many iframes it inflicts. If it's the standard 10 iframes, then it would hit 3 times, resulting in 1000 base DPS, which  would be quite overpowered for a weapon focused on Crowd Control.
This weapon is actually pretty difficult to balance on a conceptual level as if you give it any higher than 10 iframes the dps drops from 1000 to 667, and there is no way to adjust it further without raising the iframes again to at least 16, which halves its dps from 667 to 333 and there is no way to adjust its dps using iframe values alone further.

This weapon is actually pretty difficult to balance on a conceptual level as if you give it any higher than 10 iframes the dps drops from 1000 to 667, and there is no way to adjust it further without raising the iframes again to at least 16, which halves its dps from 667 to 333 and there is no way to adjust its dps using iframe values alone further.
As far as I'm concerned, why would you ever want to? You can already adjust the damage or charge time if the weapon ends up overtuned. in my opinion, iframes should never be a balancing factor, and balancing around them tends to result in terrible weapon-feel and oftentimes major balance issues. Make the beam hit however many times you envisioned in your head and work from there.

Edit: The suggestion also says the beam lasts for half a second; I'm wondering if that means it multi-hits, and if it does, how many iframes it inflicts. If it's the standard 10 iframes, then it would hit 3 times, resulting in 1000 base DPS, which  would be quite overpowered for destroying crowds.
My idea was like that: Beam deals damage only once and then dissapear. Something like speed of the light.

Yes, I can icrease basic damage for it to be more balanced. How about 2000?

My idea was like that: Beam deals damage only once and then dissapear. Something like speed of the light.
If it only hits once, then what does "Beam lasts for half a second" mean, then? Does that just mean it fades with no effect?
Yes, I can increase basic damage for it to be more balanced. How about 2000?
That would give it an average of 666 Base DPS, which is very strong (Stake Launcher only has 500), but also considering that it takes 3 seconds to charge, it might still kill crowds a bit slower than its competition. You only get one shot per 3 seconds, and if any of them somehow survive the blast, they're going to survive another 3 seconds, whereas something with a bit less DPS but faster firerate (say, Stake Launcher) may have killed that thing within those additional 3 seconds, leading to a faster death. That said, I would be surprised if anything short of a boss survived a hit of 2000 base damage.

Another consideration is that if more enemies spawn during the charge time, they'll have a few uninterrupted seconds to approach you or fire upon you, which could be dangerous. You could charge it up while you approach a line of targets (such as falling down towards the trash mobs on the ground after fighting a Pumpking) and blast all of them away before switching to a different weapon for any new spawns or surviving enemies; I actually quite like that usecase, now that I think about it. I assume you can hold the charge for as long as you like before firing? If you can't, it would likely feel quite clumsy and unreliable to use effectively.

Last edited:
If it only hits once, then what does "Beam lasts for half a second" mean, then? Does that just mean it fades with no effect?

That would give it an average of 666 Base DPS, which is very strong (Stake Launcher only has 500), but also considering that it takes 3 seconds to charge, it might still kill crowds a bit slower than its competition. You only get one shot per 3 seconds, and if any of them somehow survive the blast, they're going to survive another 3 seconds, whereas something with a bit less DPS but faster firerate (say, Stake Launcher) may have killed that thing within those additional 3 seconds, leading to a faster death. That said, I would be surprised if anything short of a boss survived a hit of 2000 base damage.

Another consideration is that if more enemies spawn during the charge time, they'll have a few uninterrupted seconds to approach you or fire upon you, which could be dangerous. You could charge it up while you approach a line of targets (such as falling down towards the trash mobs on the ground after fighting a Pumpking) and blast all of them away before switching to a different weapon for any new spawns or surviving enemies; I actually quite like that usecase, now that I think about it. I assume you can hold the charge for as long as you like before firing? If you can't, it would likely feel quite clumsy and unreliable to use effectively.
You can hold it, yes. But after 3 sec of holding game will make 'Starfury cooldown sound' meaning that when you will release LMB Railgun will shoot.

Im immediately thinking it could work like sojourn's railgun (from overwat), having a regular shot function, but then building energy to unleash in a powerful beam whenever you want (alt fire)... which I suppose is almost exactly what the aforementioned charged blaster cannon does. If it was a ranged weapon instead of magic, and you could control when to use the beam, that could make it different enough?

For ammo, I suggested a power cell ammo that would used for all these types of space weapons, including reworking the laser machine gun etc all described in my space post. This would fit right in perfectly, so I'd love to include a link (but let me know if you dont I guess)

Back
Top Bottom