Official Announcement regarding changes to conversations (private messages)

If you read my other post then you know that I can’t. And a lot of others can’t. Not every has nice parents that let them do anything
I really do understand that it's hard for people - like yourself and the others you mention - not to be able to have conversations with their friends to the extent that they have because of outside restrictions, but ultimately it's tangential to this discussion: we are not a private messaging service, we don't intend to function as a private messaging service, and we have no moral obligation to function as a private messaging service for people that do not have access to one. The fact that people have been using these forums as a private messaging service despite that - obviously, in my opinion - not being the intended use of a video game forum is not something we reasonably have to consider - it'd miss the point of the change to begin with.

If these forums had launched with this inbox limit of 15000 messages, I am confident there would never have been vocal opposition to it. I think that alone shows a limit is reasonable.

If these forums had launched with this inbox limit of 15000 messages, I am confident there would never have been vocal opposition to it. I think that alone shows a limit is reasonable.
If it had been there from the beginning, then yes, it could theoretically be considered reasonable.
However, as that has not been the case, and for all this time, nearly 10 years, there has not been such a limit, suddenly deciding to set a limit like that, is unreasonable.

If it had been there from the beginning, then yes, it could theoretically be considered reasonable.
However, as that has not been the case, and for all this time, nearly 10 years, there has not been such a limit, suddenly deciding to set a limit like that, is unreasonable.
Could you elaborate on why you feel that's unreasonable?

Could you elaborate on why you feel that's unreasonable?
I think it's just the sudden shift. That's probably what it is for me.
From unlimited messages down to 15,000.
Even if having an amount largely over that wasn't what conversations were intended for, it's really quite the contrast and feels like an enormous jump regardless of 15,000 being a large number.

I think it's just the sudden shift. That's probably what it is for me.
From unlimited messages down to 15,000.
Even if having an amount largely over that wasn't what conversations were intended for, it's really quite the contrast and feels like an enormous jump regardless of 15,000 being a large number.
I'm comparing it to a road without a speed limit. It's clearly not designed for driving at unbounded speeds, so when we see people driving at speeds we see are far above what is reasonable, we impose a limit, set to what we consider is a reasonable speed. It wouldn't make sense to say "well, this road is designed for 50 mph, people have been driving well over 100 mph, so as a compromise, let's settle for 75.".

The forums were never intended to allow members to have more than 15000 private conversation messages, we're seeing members that are going well over that amount, so now we're imposing a limit on what we think is reasonable. You can certainly fault us for not having that limit to begin with, but it's not an argument against the limit itself.

I'm comparing it to a road without a speed limit. It's clearly not designed for driving at unbounded speeds, so when we see people driving at speeds we see are far above what is reasonable, we impose a limit, set to what we consider is a reasonable speed. It wouldn't make sense to say "well, this road is designed for 50 mph, people have been driving well over 100 mph, so as a compromise, let's settle for 75.".
Yeah that's a pretty good analogy. I get what you mean.
The forums were never intended to allow members to have more than 15000 private conversation messages, we're seeing members that are going well over that amount, so now we're imposing a limit on what we think is reasonable. You can certainly fault us for not having that limit to begin with, but it's not an argument against the limit itself.
Ive certainly gone quite far over the limit, but Im not saying not that it's your guy's fault for not having an initial limit, it's just a lighting jarring.
I get where it's all coming from.
Personally I'd be perfectly fine with the limit so long that I could still have access to back at my old conversations.

To those using the forums conversation feature, I suggest using something like discord instead. No real opinions on this change, seems reasonable enough to me.
The problem is not everyone can or wants to use Discord or things like that.
I essentially quit Discord because it's too fast for me, isn't usable as an image storage anymore (leaving me with... this site alone because Imgur needs an account now and I'm not doing that), and is just annoying in general for me (I'm probably going to hop on once I get started on something for Sky, but only to post those things on that server), and I'm not touching the majority of social media with a 50 kilometer pole, limiting me to other communities (pet sites, mainly) and E-Mail (which, considering I only have one address, may become awkward once I finally develop a habit of checking my inbox often).

Discord because it's too fast for me, isn't usable as an image storage anymore (leaving me with... this site alone because Imgur needs an account now and I'm not doing that)
This isn't intended to be an image storage/archival storage site either, and quite frankly, that is becoming of concern here and has some bearing on why we made this change.

Sites like Imgur ARE intended for image storage; if you don't want to use them, we're not the substitute you should be looking for.

This isn't intended to be an image storage/archival storage site either, and quite frankly, that is becoming of concern here and has some bearing on why we made this change.

Sites like Imgur ARE intended for image storage; if you don't want to use them, we're not the substitute you should be looking for.
I'm aware. I only post images that are on-topic, not random things that make no sense.
If there's any image hosts left that are trusted and don't require an account that I'll otherwise never use, let me know so I can move my random image posting there. I did use Imgur a few times in the past but when they decided account is required my reaction was "okayyy, bye then. Not making an account I'll use three times a year."

I essentially quit Discord because it's too fast for me, isn't usable as an image storage anymore (leaving me with... this site alone because Imgur needs an account now and I'm not doing that), and is just annoying in general for me (I'm probably going to hop on once I get started on something for Sky, but only to post those things on that server), and I'm not touching the majority of social media with a 50 kilometer pole, limiting me to other communities (pet sites, mainly) and E-Mail (which, considering I only have one address, may become awkward once I finally develop a habit of checking my inbox often).
EDIT: ninja'd by TK.

The forum is definitely not designed to be used for your private image storage needs, and you should not have been doing that regardless of any changes to how conversations work here. You also need an account to post images here, so I'm not sure what the difference between that and Imgur is for you.

To those who say that they choose not to use other sites for messaging, you're of course welcome to make that decision. But that doesn't mean that we have any obligations to change how the site is run. For example, we aren't suddenly going to become a Stardew Valley forum just because some members decided that they didn't want to use that site.

If you're not allowed to use other messaging sites due to parental restrictions, that's something you need to discuss with them, not us. I'd also question whether you should even be using DMs here if you're a minor and your parents have said you can't use other chat applications, but really that's beside the point and something you need to discuss with them, not us.

You can say that is a problem, but it isn't their problem. If you impose/have restrictions on where you need to go that's fine but that doesn't have anything to do with the forums. I should also note you should get in the habit of checking your email since that is really important for many different reasons.

leaving me with... this site alone because Imgur needs an account now and I'm not doing that
For uploading images imgur does not require an account, that is one of the main reasons that it is recommended when in the Terraria Discord for those who do not have the Terrarian role. If you're on mobile you would have to unless you go into your browser settings and turn on "Desktop site" then it would allow you to upload images freely without an account.

For uploading images imgur does not require an account, that is one of the main reasons that it is recommended when in the Terraria Discord for those who do not have the Terrarian role. If you're on mobile you would have to unless you go into your browser settings and turn on "Desktop site" then it would allow you to upload images freely without an account.
If uploading without an account they now delete images if they're, according to the wikipedia page: "old, unused, and inactive content that is not tied to a user account". Which, considering the fact I'd probably almost never use it, I'd get nuked probably every other month by the unused and inactive part of that.

If uploading without an account they now delete images if they're, according to the wikipedia page: "old, unused, and inactive content that is not tied to a user account". Which, considering the fact I'd probably almost never use it, I'd get nuked probably every other month by the unused and inactive part of that.
Then make an account. It's not very difficult to make one.

Then make an account. It's not very difficult to make one.
"okayyy, bye then. Not making an account I'll use three times a year."
I generally dislike making accounts I'll almost never use. Most of the accounts I have are for things I at least USE, or are older accounts from before I decided to only make accounts if I know I'll use that site at least somewhat often (Roblox and Fandom are in this category, the latter to my extreme annoyance). There's only really one account that I can say I rarely use but still need, my Big Fish Games account, and that's because BFG has some of my childhood games while Steam doesn't (Emerald Tale, mainly).
Imgur is simply something I would almost never use, let alone something I'd have a tab open for more than a few times a year, compared to things like PFQ where that's a tab open on my laptop and phone almost all the time.
Heck, I rarely even make accounts for wikis, even if it's a wiki I would make edits to, simply because the only edits I'd be confident in making is fixing typos, which to me isn't enough of a reason.

It seems you would be using the (Imgur) account whenever you store these images.

Why not store them on your personal computer/storage space? The way you are doing it now, only YOU (and select friends perhaps) can ever see these "on topic" images, and you're making Re-Logic pay to store them.

This site is not free to run and maintain - Re-Logic pays a goodly sum out every month for server rental, software licenses and maintenance, all out of their pocket and without trackers or ads to offset it. Maybe keep that in mind.

Back
Top Bottom