Official Announcement regarding changes to conversations (private messages)

Man I love how the mods made ONE change and have made me hate this site
i wouldn't go so far as to say i hate it now but it's definitely a rough change
Sorry for it inconveniencing you but as we've said many times already it was unintended for users to use conversations quite as heavily as yourself and others have. Its absolutely fine to chat privately with friends but using it as essentially an instant-messenger (like discord) substitute is a no-go.
The good thing is, it's not like your friends have went anywhere. You can figure things out with them, if other options aren't available then you can talk with them and others in a thread and simply tone down the private chat significantly - You absolutely still can talk to your friends in private, but in a more limited capacity.

I'm not sure what you mean, I can confirm that absolutely no chat concerning limiting the roleplay section has taken place so I'm at a complete loss as to why people think that we're going to make changes? If you've got concerns, i'll gladly answer them.

Unit One and myself have been active in providing answers here regarding our logic behind this decision and why we made it, while I can certainly repeat myself its best that you find those posts and give them a read.
However I will say it clearly that we have no plans to revert this, the limit will remain in place however the table is still open to discuss potential changes that could be made.

We didn't expect users to be happy about this, nobody would when something they used actively is limited and the unrest is completely expected. We can only apologise, but it was something we deemed necessary to do.
honestly i understand the reasoning behind it and i do respect your decisions, but i feel that at least raising the limit to say 25k would be a fair way to balance it out a bit

I want to say that I'm with the moderators considering the reasons they've given but I just can't, it's a terrible downgrade and nobody likes it. That being said, we still do have normal threads to use, so there's no point effectively banning yourself because of it.
Thank you for saying this.
Please stop acting like this is the end of TCF, it's just not, threads are still a thing!

literally feels like TCF is trying to go down the path twitter went
i would like to clarify THIS IS NOT A GOOD THING
I must admit, it is making me wonder deep down if replacing original users with the Twitter migrants (which I am not one of, I just happened to join at the same time unfortunately) is what the mods have been trying to do for a while.

literally feels like TCF is trying to go down the path twitter went
i would like to clarify THIS IS NOT A GOOD THING
It is not a good thing for a forum when a portion of the active userbase is beginning to abandon the public forum and move to private communication. For TCF to continue forward a policy had to be introduced to encourage users to treat the forum as one again. Do remember that this forum is paid entirely out of pocket by the developers and have made the intentional decision to not monetise the forum with ads. It is run in good faith for the community and interested individuals to use and enjoy.

Man I love how the mods made ONE change and have made me hate this site
If that's all it took for you to hate this site then I'm sorry, I believe that we've been more than understanding of the effect this has had on several people but it has only confirmed our discussions on the matter; people have been using the forum as a convenient tool for talking to their friends. I repeat again that forums are a community space, not a private server on discord or a steam group. We probably should have made this change long ago or perhaps even when we launched the forum in the first place but we didn't and the blame that people have been using conversations like this in the first place rests partly on us.

You can still chat privately and we won't be reducing the limit further than we already have as 15,000 really is quite acceptable from the data we used.
It's the end for me probably
If they don't remove it I'm most likely gonna keep going till I reach the cap again
Then I'm gonna leave
Nobody is making you stay if you don't enjoy your time here. Obviously we'd prefer if people stayed as everyone here is a valued member of the community but we're hardly going to chain people down. If the conversation limits your enjoyment of the forum so much that you decide to leave that's okay by us and we hope that you have a change of heart and come back some day. Ideally it would be great if you could simply engage in the forum more and use the forum as less of a private chat client.

I must admit, it is making me wonder deep down if replacing original users with the Twitter migrants (which I am not one of, I just happened to join at the same time unfortunately) is what the mods have been trying to do for a while.
No need for the tinfoil hat, I personally forgot all about the twitter thing until just recently. This is simply a change that needed to happen, one we had been putting off or didn't give as much attention as we should have. We're certainly not trying to "cycle out" old members for new ones.

. We're certainly not trying to "cycle out" old members for new ones.
It certainly feels like your trying to
Nobody is making you stay if you don't enjoy your time here. Obviously we'd prefer if people stayed as everyone here is a valued member of the community but we're hardly going to chain people down. If the conversation limits your enjoyment of the forum so much that you decide to leave that's okay by us and we hope that you have a change of heart and come back some day. Ideally it would be great if you could simply engage in the forum more and use the forum as less of a private chat client.
I genuinely don't like the forum part of the forums
Mostly because 90% of it is people requesting really badly thought out ideas or the decent threads are active when I'm asleep or I'm banned from them and I don't like having to read 300+ pages of RP to join

No need for the tinfoil hat, I personally forgot all about the twitter thing until just recently. This is simply a change that needed to happen, one we had been putting off or didn't give as much attention as we should have. We're certainly not trying to "cycle out" old members for new ones.
Even if it's not intentional (which I do doubt it is just because that'd be weird), the fact that it nukes existing conversations but wouldn't affect newer members who would plan to abuse the conversation feature anyway (I mean they'd probably be able to work with the 5-person limit and figure out workarounds like just deleting old conversations and stuff) does make it appear that way.

Sorry for it inconveniencing you but as we've said many times already it was unintended for users to use conversations quite as heavily as yourself and others have. Its absolutely fine to chat privately with friends but using it as essentially an instant-messenger (like discord) substitute is a no-go.
Welp, the solution ain't fixing the idea that some people would be willing to make it an instant-messenger, just with memory limits.

It certainly feels like your trying to
Everyone is a valued member. Doesn't matter if they've been here since the beginning or a week or if they've butted-heads with the staff. This change wasn't made to make people leave but to correct an issue.
I genuinely don't like the forum part of the forums
Mostly because 90% of it is people requesting really badly thought out ideas or the decent threads are active when I'm asleep or I'm banned from them and I don't like having to read 300+ pages of RP to join
If I'm to be blunt, that is one of the largest concerns and a main reason as to why we've done this. Many (though not all!) of the people unhappy with this change either don't like the public part of the forum or feel uncomfortable posting in it and whether this is due to "having too much of a good thing" with conversations and growing uncomfortable with the forum or if they've never liked it in the first is a hazards guess but one in the same problem. By introducing this limit we hope to at least push them in the right direction of forum usage.

Obviously some people who use the forum and conversations extensively have been hit in the crossfire with this, we apologise for that but it was unavoidable.

Everyone is a valued member. Doesn't matter if they've been here since the beginning or a week or if they've butted-heads with the staff. This change wasn't made to make people leave but to correct an issue.

If I'm to be blunt, that is one of the largest concerns and a main reason as to why we've done this. Many (though not all!) of the people unhappy with this change either don't like the public part of the forum or feel uncomfortable posting in it and whether this is due to "having too much of a good thing" with conversations and growing uncomfortable with the forum or if they've never liked it in the first is a hazards guess but one in the same problem. By introducing this limit we hope to at least push them in the right direction of forum usage.

Obviously some people who use the forum and conversations extensively have been hit in the crossfire with this, we apologise for that but it was unavoidable.
ALRIGHT
:red: IT
GOOD :red:ING BYE TCF
GOOD
:red:IN
BYE

By introducing this limit we hope to at least push them in the right direction of forum usage.
I might be dropping an atomic bomb of controversional ideas, but... the conversation feature should've been made mod-only instead (as in only mods can create new conversations, and only conversations with moderators would be active.) Sure it'd also suck, but frankly it would be fairer than simply putting a limit.

I might be dropping an atomic bomb of controversional ideas, but... the conversation feature should've been made mod-only instead (as in only mods can create new conversations, and only conversations with moderators would be active.) Sure it'd also suck, but frankly it would be fairer than simply putting a limit.
That's overkill, at least maybe a change could be made to make reports in conversations... actually work..

I don't really understand this, while yes staff do make use of conversations it is not their only intended use. Conversations do exist for private chat, be it chatting with friends (to a reasonable magnitude) or organising game sessions etc but it shouldn't ever really reach the extent of doubling or even quadrupiling your public post count; at that point the question arises if you're using the forum as its intended purpose (To find and engage with people who have similar interests) or just using it to enclose your self in a comfy room with all your best friends.
Its obviously not wrong to talk to your friends and we're never going to take that right away from people, but there has to be some sort of balance.

Back
Top Bottom