Weapons & Equip Add a Class setting to character creation

Conjo344

Queen Slime
When creating a character, you should be given the option to choose between Melee, Mage, Ranger, or Summoner. Selecting one of these options would:

• Remove your character's ability to equip, use, or craft weapons, armor, or consumables related to any other classes. (Throwables not affected)
  • Guarantee that every boss and enemy killed will drop a weapon for your class instead of others
  • Buff the respective class in some way
Of course there would be the option to play the default way if you don't touch any of these settings, but I feel like this would be a fun challenge and also a great way to learn each class individually. There could also be some achievements related to it as well, maybe something along the lines of having 4 players of each class beat the moon lord in master mode? Idk, I feel like a feature like this would have a lot of potential.

Too overcomplicated. Terraria would not implement something like this that is extremely specific. Random drops would also not be altered. An achievement for playing multiplayer would also be something Terraria wouldn't add.
There's more than enough weapon variety now for something like this to work, it's not that complicated at all. All it would do is basically remove your ability to multiclass and force you to learn new strats both early and late game, as well as reward you for restricting yourself. Also introduces the idea of classes to a new player much earlier and in a more digestible way imo.

Last edited:
When creating a character, you should be given the option to choose between Melee, Mage, Ranger, or Summoner. Selecting one of these options would:

• Remove your character's ability to equip, use, or craft weapons, armor, or consumables related to any other classes. (Throwables not affected)
  • Guarantee that every boss and enemy killed will drop a weapon for your class instead of others
  • Buff the respective class in some way
Of course there would be the option to play the default way if you don't touch any of these settings, but I feel like this would be a fun challenge and also a great way to learn each class individually. There could also be some achievements related to it as well, maybe something along the lines of having 4 players of each class beat the moon lord in master mode? Idk, I feel like a feature like this would have a lot of potential.
This would make for a cool mod, but probably shouldn't be in the actual game

I can never get behind the idea of "you can only use 1 class throughout the entire playthrough" it's not hard enough to be a challenge, it doesn't add any uniqueness to the game, it is less fun than using multiple classes, and it can lock you out of certain things like Old One's Army

I can never get behind the idea of "you can only use 1 class throughout the entire playthrough" it's not hard enough to be a challenge, it doesn't add any uniqueness to the game, it is less fun than using multiple classes, and it can lock you out of certain things like Old One's Army
Using only one class isn't ment to be a challenge. Playing as one class is optimal because most armor and accessories increase the stats of only one class.

Using only one class isn't ment to be a challenge.
but I feel like this would be a fun challenge
they said themselves it would be a fun challenge

Playing as one class is optimal because most armor and accessories increase the stats of only one class.
you can use a main class where the source of most of your damage will be from, but restricting yourself to a single class definitely isn't optimal

Also, you forgot about pickaxes. Those are melee weapons.
Har har. Tools wouldn't count
It is actually kind of a challenge, especially earlygame where people are used to multiclassing regardless. Later on it matters less since class-based weapons and armor become more frequent and more powerful, but you're still locked out of using backup weapons from other classes that would otherwise be helpful.

It is actually kind of a challenge, especially earlygame where people are used to multiclassing regardless. Later on it matters less since class-based weapons and armor become more frequent and more powerful, but you're still locked out of using backup weapons from other classes that would otherwise be helpful.
I wouldn't really call it a challenge at all if it's just a minor hindrance early game then irrelevant late game, If you want you can just self impose these rules onto yourself. It also wouldn't be fair to newer players who see a class based system at their character creator and think they're forced to create a class then they're locked into a class for their entire playthrough

I don't see the purpose of this suggestion. Instead of choosing to play as certain classes as you progress, you just choose it at the beginning, and then you can't backtrack if you want to? That doesn't sound very fun to me. And guaranteeing class-relevant boss drops and providing buffs to the class you chose just makes the game easier and shorter.

Har har. Tools wouldn't count
What would deerclops drop in melee runs then? Lucy the axe is balanced around being a melee weapon except it also happens to be a tool.

Also, sawtooth shark is an effective enough weapon that it outclasses some pre-boss weapons particularly if you’re a mage or summoner.

What would deerclops drop in melee runs then? Lucy the axe is balanced around being a melee weapon except it also happens to be a tool.

Also, sawtooth shark is an effective enough weapon that it outclasses some pre-boss weapons particularly if you’re a mage or summoner.
Lucy is a viable melee weapon? That makes no sense considering that in DST she's the worst weapon in the game

Lucy is a viable melee weapon? That makes no sense considering that in DST she's the worst weapon in the game
But she's silly :(

She also has one of the highest Axe powers in the game. If you can't find the Staff of Regrowth to make the Axe, she's a pretty good alternative. I also remember her being somewhat reliable as a melee.

(This applies to Terraria. I never had a single interaction with the DS series.)

Back
Top Bottom