Game Mechanics Remove the angler once-a-day rule.

while grinding for the cell phone might be annoying, I think there might be some reason why the angler quests are limited to one quest a day. I might be wrong, but my idea is, it's to try to discourage players from trying to do things like marathoning the 200 fishing quest achievements. fishing is useful, but usually not very amusing. if a player decides to focus on going back-and-forth 200 times in a row between lakes and the angler, it could just outright kill any zeal the player had for the game. or so I think. because that would be just crazy boring and monotonous.

but if you spread out fishing quests more, they're much less bad. and the fishing quest achievements counter carries over to other playthroughs, so if you spread it out to multiple, even the 200 quests can be done eventually, without being all that boring. but if you try to marathon it... ...well, there are people who try it, it is up to them how they play. so, from that regards, it -could- be enabled to do as many quests a day the player wants, but I would be afraid it would increase the amount of people complaining about "fishing is super boring" because they tried to marathon the 200 quests.

while grinding for the cell phone might be annoying, I think there might be some reason why the angler quests are limited to one quest a day. I might be wrong, but my idea is, it's to try to discourage players from trying to do things like marathoning the 200 fishing quest achievements. fishing is useful, but usually not very amusing. if a player decides to focus on going back-and-forth 200 times in a row between lakes and the angler, it could just outright kill any zeal the player had for the game. or so I think. because that would be just crazy boring and monotonous.

but if you spread out fishing quests more, they're much less bad. and the fishing quest achievements counter carries over to other playthroughs, so if you spread it out to multiple, even the 200 quests can be done eventually, without being all that boring. but if you try to marathon it... ...well, there are people who try it, it is up to them how they play. so, from that regards, it -could- be enabled to do as many quests a day the player wants, but I would be afraid it would increase the amount of people complaining about "fishing is super boring" because they tried to marathon the 200 quests.
The problem is that i have nothing to do in between right now except go into hard mode, which I don’t really want to yet

if a player decides to focus on going back-and-forth 200 times in a row between lakes and the angler, it could just outright kill any zeal the player had for the game. or so I think. because that would be just crazy boring and monotonous.
I think that most players just sleep in a bed while waiting for the next quest, which is more boring.

The problem is that i have nothing to do in between right now except go into hard mode, which I don’t really want to yet
this can happen though, I agree that's annoying. that is about cell phone components grind, right?
I think that most players just sleep in a bed while waiting for the next quest, which is more boring.
this is also true. assumption is that creators expected that doing nothing just sleeping and fishing for several in game months is so boring that it will discourage the player from doing so after doing that for a few in-game days.

this actually looks like a tricky question...
how to make in more convenient for people looking for certain angler rewards, but still try to discourage people from trying to marathon the 200 quests? I mean, again, it is up to them how they do that, but we gain nothing from people getting bored of/disliking Terraria because they were so focused getting a certain ridicolous achievement, that they completely forgot about having fun in the game.

This is also true. Assumption is that creators expected that doing nothing just sleeping and fishing for several in game months is so boring that it will discourage the player from doing so after doing that for a few in-game days.
I don't think there was any intent behind it at all, Re-Logic has a habit of adding cool things first and then dealing with its repercussions on the game later (often quite a while later).

Fishing Quests, Fishing Achievements, and Cell Phone were all added before beds were able to speed up time; back when these things were added, you couldn't skip time to speed up these quests, and Fishing Quests were something that you did (if you wanted) once per day as a sidequest or sorts, and you slowly gathered the components for a Cell Phone over the course of the playthrough. Beds were given their time-speedup without consideration of what it would do to Fishing Quests.

My personal fix would be to increase the bed time speedup, not only because it would make the process of getting these components much faster for those who want to grind for them, but also because I don't think it's currently fast enough anyway considering the gameplay is  literally sleeping. I think 10x-12x would probably be enough. It would make it painless for people who want to grind out all the cell phone parts at once, while still keeping it structured as a sort of "daily mission." You could potentially add the current 6x speedup to a different piece of furniture for those who prefer the slower speedup. Perhaps couches?

Last edited:
maybe beds would have a menu that shows up when you sleep(maybe like a thought bubble?)
either you type in the time
or there would be 3 buttons:
1. day
2. night
3. cancel
but that is an idea because it would probably make sundils useless
so never mind just make the time faster like 2 minutes

this can happen though, I agree that's annoying. that is about cell phone components grind, right?
If they don't remove the once a day limitation maybe they could at least make the cell phone part drop chance a bit higher, it takes so long to get right now. If the limit is still there people can't just grind fish to get resources, that might be kinda overpowered, but I don't think you should have to spend like 20 hours of your time to get one cell phone part.

If you don't want to wait a long time between Angler quests, just do other things in the game. The quests aren't designed to be marathoned, they're just a short distraction. You do one each day and then continue with the rest of the game.
If they don't remove the once a day limitation maybe they could at least make the cell phone part drop chance a bit higher, it takes so long to get right now. If the limit is still there people can't just grind fish to get resources, that might be kinda overpowered, but I don't think you should have to spend like 20 hours of your time to get one cell phone part.
They already did this. If you have one of the Fish Finder ingredients in your inventory, the Angler won't give you that one, so all you have to do is have the ones you already have in your inventory when collecting your rewards and your chances go up. You can also throw any of the Fish Finder ingredients into the Shimmer to cycle them to the next one.

If you don't want to wait a long time between Angler quests, just do other things in the game. The quests aren't designed to be marathoned, they're just a short distraction. You do one each day and then continue with the rest of the game.

They already did this. If you have one of the Fish Finder ingredients in your inventory, the Angler won't give you that one, so all you have to do is have the ones you already have in your inventory when collecting your rewards and your chances go up. You can also throw any of the Fish Finder ingredients into the Shimmer to cycle them to the next one.
i have nothing else to do right now, and I was doing other stuff in between fishing but I ran out. I don't want to go into hard mode yet, so I have nothing to do.
and I knew that you couldn't get the same one you have, but the chance is still too low in my opinion. even just a little higher chance would make it a lot less annoying

Fishing quests are a simple task that take a short time to complete. It's slow to get rewards but if you keep doing them every day eventually you'll have everything you need, it's a long term investment (not even that long, by hardmode you wont need anything else)

This change will lead to people trying to do 30 fishing quests in a row, realizing how much that sucks, and hating Angler even more as a result

I think the people that will hate this the most are ironically the same asking for it right now, because if you ask for something like this its evident you dont understand fishing quests and just want everything to fall in your lap in 2 minutes

I think the people that will hate this the most are ironically the same asking for it right now, because if you ask for something like this its evident you dont understand fishing quests and just want everything to fall in your lap in 2 minutes
exactly

the chance to get a cell phone component is 1 in 34 or just under 3%. That means to get one it’s fishing about 34 times, and the once a day means that it would take 34*24 minutes for an in game day, or 816 minutes/13.6 hours. Since you can’t get the same component twice, it goes down to 1/33 and 1/32 chance when you get components, but the total approximate time to get all 3 is 39.6 hours, and if you run out of things to do in the meantime (besides go into hard mode) it gets really boring. Beds can speed up the time it takes to only 9.9 hours, but then you can’t do anything in between because you’re in a bed. Keeping the limit is fine, but I think that increasing the drop chance would be helpful in making it less tedious, even if it’s only increased by a little bit.

As someone who likes fishing quests a lot, I do think there is sometimes an issue with how slow it is to get what you actually want cough bottomless honey bucket but removing the limit altogether doesn't seem like a great way to make fishing quests less of a chore. I actually enjoy doing one little fishing trip each morning in pre-hm, personally.

One suggestion I've seen is the option to pay coins to do another quest in the same day, and the price rises for each extra quest until resetting the next day. I kind of like that one because it doesn't really put a lot of pressure on most ordinary playthroughs, but gives people who really want to speedrun a specific item the option to do it if they so desire.

As someone who likes fishing quests a lot, I do think there is sometimes an issue with how slow it is to get what you actually want cough bottomless honey bucket but removing the limit altogether doesn't seem like a great way to make fishing quests less of a chore. I actually enjoy doing one little fishing trip each morning in pre-hm, personally.

One suggestion I've seen is the option to pay coins to do another quest in the same day, and the price rises for each extra quest until resetting the next day. I kind of like that one because it doesn't really put a lot of pressure on most ordinary playthroughs, but gives people who really want to speedrun a specific item the option to do it if they so desire.
good idea. that way most people could only do a couple quest a day, but it won’t take so long to get the angler to drop stuff.

This might could work. pretty interesting idea.
Wonder how would the angler react though? XD
"You pay me to be my errand monkey, huh? Well, thanks I guess." ? XD

that's actually a super valid argument, they could also limit it to like 3 or 5 a day perhaps if thats the case

It literally just makes the grind for the cellphone and other things more annoying. Why can I only do it once every 24 minutes (4 minutes if you sleep, but still)?
IMO it has no point in existing. I don't think anyobdy would argue with that.
That is just fact and you're telling the truth. I don't even fish. However it is simple fact.

I know when I tested it in journey mode I had to keep, changing the time of day just to get him to move on to the next thing. That was a bit annoying. Big deal.

Would be neat as well if you actually ran into a fish during the quest where you would have to fish for the angler, so the the angler would actually be the prey. The next one you get would actually have a better attitude. LOL

Back
Top Bottom