Items Aperture Intensifier: Boost laser magic weapons today!

TheGuideIsEvil

Terrarian
The Aperture Intensifier is an accessory that can be dropped from Eye of Cthulhu at a 1 in 20 chance. It resembles a special red antenna.

The Aperture Intensifier gives all laser magic weapons (e.g. the Space Gun, Laser Rifle, etc) a 10 percent damage boost, and a 6 percent higher chance of critical hits. Critical hits also create an small explosive energy burst that deals minor damage to enemies nearby. With piercing weapons, the burst would happen each time. This boost of damage is scaled on your laser/energy gun, and it depends on the laser magic weapon you have. The burst deals 1/3 the damage of the laser weapon to surrounding enemies.

That means if you have a Space Gun, then the burst is not that great. However, if you have something like the Laser Machinegun, it's a decent area of effect damage that can do chaotic chain reactions.

There is a flaw with this accessory: mana costs are about 12 percent higher with the laser gun weapons.

Last edited:
Why does this drop from Eye of Cthulhu? You fight that boss before you can even get any laser magic weapon, and the boss has nothing to do with lasers or similar technology. This is also a really, really specific accessory. Realistically, it would affect only 6 or 7 weapons, depending on your definition of laser.

I like the idea of doing mini-classes like this, it needs a better obtainment method and i think you can make it less similar to a Sorcerer emblem in stats, and focus more on the special effect

This really doesnt need a drawback either, the drawback is being locked to very specific weapons

I like the idea of doing mini-classes like this, it needs a better obtainment method and i think you can make it less similar to a Sorcerer emblem in stats, and focus more on the special effect

This really doesnt need a drawback either, the drawback is being locked to very specific weapons
Thanks!

New update:

Critical hits with laser weapons create explosive energy bursts that provide a 1/3 extra damage and the Atomized debuff, which causes enemies to lose slight defense (weaker than Ichor, of course).

Aperture Intensifier could probably be crafted with Meteorite Bars, Fallen Stars, and Iron/Lead Bars, instead of dropping from Eye of Cthulhu.

Tooltip: Increases the aperture of your laser beam weapons
Critical hits create unstable bursts of energy

In my opinion, Terraria does not have enough conditional damage bonuses, and this a  perfect item to help fill the void. I love the idea!

I do wonder how it would be coded, though; "Lasers" isn't a category that currently exists in the code. I doubt it'd be all that difficult to add one, though, and then manually add that tag to each "laser" weapon. A definitive list of qualifying projectiles would be nice, since what a Laser is can be pretty vague. Do Luminite arrows count? They kinda look like a Laser to me. What about Pulse Bow? A specific list is in order, I think.

In the tooltips I would also write out exactly what it does, since I'm not at all a fan of vague tooltips. How about:

"Laser weapon damage increased by 10%"
"Lasers will critically strike 6% more often"
"Critical Strikes create a burst of energy, dealing 33% of the damage to nearby enemies"

I don't think the debuff is all that necessary; this thing is already quite good.

Last edited:
In my opinion, Terraria does not have enough conditional damage bonuses, and this a  perfect item to help fill the void. I love the idea!

I do wonder how it would be coded, though; "Lasers" isn't a category that currently exists in the code. I doubt it'd be all that difficult to add one, though, and then manually add that tag to each "laser" weapon. A definitive list of qualifying projectiles would be nice, since what a Laser is can be pretty vague. Do Luminite arrows count? They kinda look like a Laser to me. What about Pulse Bow? A specific list is in order, I think.

In the tooltips I would also write out exactly what it does, since I'm not at all a fan of vague tooltips. How about:

"Laser weapon damage increased by 10%"
"Lasers will critically strike 6% more often"
"Critical Strikes create a burst of energy, dealing 33% of the damage to nearby enemies"

I don't think the debuff is all that necessary; this thing is already quite good.

Qualifying weapons:

Most of them are laser based firearms that consume mana.

Space Gun
Laser Rifle
Both Zapinators
Rainbow Gun
Heat Ray
Laser Machinegun
Charged Blaster Cannon
Last Prism

It could maybe affect the Pulse Bow like you said, so it could be a general booster to beam based weapons across classes.

Qualifying weapons:

Most of them are laser based firearms that consume mana.

Space Gun
Laser Rifle
Both Zapinators
Rainbow Gun
Heat Ray
Laser Machinegun
Charged Blaster Cannon
Last Prism

It could maybe affect the Pulse Bow like you said, so it could be a general booster to beam based weapons across classes.
I can think of a few more that are missing, namely Magnet Sphere and Shadowbeam Staff, but this also got me thinking: several  minions also shoot lasers too, such as Retinazer and UFOs; I think it would be really cool if those counted too, though I'm not sure how the crit chance would affect them (and yes, I think Pulse Bow should count too, definitely).

Last edited:
I can think of a few more that are missing such as Magnet Sphere and Shadowbeam Staff, but this also got me thinking: several  minions also shoot lasers though, such as Retinazer and UFOs; I think it would be really cool if those counted too, though I'm not sure how the crit chance would affect them (and yes, I think Pulse Bow should count too, definitely).
Sure..

And to save code, the energy burst is just a random color.

Back
Top Bottom