Spear discussion thread (Best subclass in the game!)

oh hey! i did a spears only run as well,in expertmode(it was shortswords only at first but i realized VERY quickly that that was too tedious),and can confirm, they are really good。

some highlights were:
- rotten fork being so insanely good (and sadly highly slept on) i beat the brain first try ... 3 times。
- storm spear sub 3 minutes skeletron fight,its relatively fast attack rate makes it great for killing the hands quickly,but its damage is pretty low,so you really only deal all the hits during the headspin。
- titanium spear annihilating 1/3 of the destroyer's hp with a few stabs to the coil
- north pole wiping out the lunar events and moonlord way better than i expected, a good alternative if you are tired of using the pillar weapons!

some lowlights were:
- dying repeatedly to torch god in earlygame but thats unrelated
- having to come into kissing range with the wall of flesh in order to attack it with the dark lance (took a few attemps,but i eventually got it)
- fighting the frost moon with gungnir (you can probably imagine how that goes ...)

it is a shame the great majority of spears are uninteresting,copy and paste versions of themself that are almost functionally identical。 i wish that,one day,the game will make them a little more unique (maybe some spear alt attack where you throw it,or can use it to dash?),so it does not get overshadowed by its neighboring melee subclasses。
You can beat Skeletron even faster if you hit him with true melee hits. Dash towards him and get into true melee range. It is way better than using the projectile only. Though that is risky and requires skills. I managed to kill Master mode Skeletron in under 2 minutes with the Storm spear.

WOF can be done even in Master mode with the Dark lance. You just need the golf cart and the slow fall potion. Avoid the hungries at all costs, and you'll eventually kill enough hungries to get close. When getting close, try moving around to avoid the lasers. I moved in a C pattern and it worked. Or go for a tanking set up since defense is the best for true melee against WOF.

Not many people know this, but the Storm spear with its true melee attack is extremely op, second only to the Star fury.

1714097504589.png

Post One Mechanical boss spears vs Skeletron Prime

1714097535446.png

Post One Mechanical boss spears vs The Twins

I hate the Frost Moon sooooo much. Why is the strongest spear in the game locked behind such an annoying event??? Ugh. I am not dealing with it. I will just go to a world where I had the North Pole and steal it.

The one thing about spears that makes me sad is that they lack a unique projectile type. Sure north pole and others have a projectile but they're derivatives of other projectiles, while the swords get their wave attacks now. Makes them feel not as cool or fun to use, since spears never really change from "be near the enemy and poke them"

An idea i've had for awhile now is an afterimage-projectile. At the apex of a spear's thrust, an afterimage of the spear would be created that lingers in that spot for awhile. Enemies that make contact with the afterimage take continuous damage, or the afterimage blows up, etc. It would give spears a unique spin on how they fight, where they get the most damage when staying in front of the enemy's movement trajectory.

Take for instance duke fishron. If you poked him from the side of his dash, you'd hit him once with the afterimage. If you poked him right in front of his face while he's dashing, he'll get hit multiple times by the afterimage, rewarding the player with extra damage if they understand boss movements well. This effect would also translate extremely well against plantera, golem, anyone that stands still a lot or is very easy to predict, giving an edge to spears in these instances.

I would probably give this effect to a hypothetical "True Gungnir" and Spectre-Spear.

The one thing about spears that makes me sad is that they lack a unique projectile type. Sure north pole and others have a projectile but they're derivatives of other projectiles, while the swords get their wave attacks now. Makes them feel not as cool or fun to use, since spears never really change from "be near the enemy and poke them"

An idea i've had for awhile now is an afterimage-projectile. At the apex of a spear's thrust, an afterimage of the spear would be created that lingers in that spot for awhile. Enemies that make contact with the afterimage take continuous damage, or the afterimage blows up, etc. It would give spears a unique spin on how they fight, where they get the most damage when staying in front of the enemy's movement trajectory.

Take for instance duke fishron. If you poked him from the side of his dash, you'd hit him once with the afterimage. If you poked him right in front of his face while he's dashing, he'll get hit multiple times by the afterimage, rewarding the player with extra damage if they understand boss movements well. This effect would also translate extremely well against plantera, golem, anyone that stands still a lot or is very easy to predict, giving an edge to spears in these instances.

I would probably give this effect to a hypothetical "True Gungnir" and Spectre-Spear.
I like that idea.

Honestly, to fix spears, I think they just need more range. But once you go post-Plantera and afterwards, you absolutely just need projectiles. A pre-mech bosses spear would be good too, something that can actually reach Skeletron Prime and The Twins. Your idea would work. It sounds a lot like how the projectiles of the Mushroom Spear work like.

1714191087941.png

It is FINALLY OVER, MASTER MODE SPEARS ONLY

Honestly, it wasn't as fun as I thought it would be. The subclass have a lot of progression gaps, and even the weapons you're supposed to use on tier are bad. I might make a rant about this later.

But basically

Pre-Mech spears have a lot of progression gaps, you don't get enough range or uptime to damage bosses. You need to tank, which literally every class can do.

The Gungnir and Mushroom spear are at least good for the mechanical bosses.

The Titanium trident straight up can't kill Queen Slime if you're an average player. You need the Adamantite glaive or Dark lance to even damage Queen Slime. Spears at those point should have more range. Or maybe Queen Slime is just a horrible boss. Projectile spam that's almost impossible to fight at close range without cheesing with pure better range.

Golem is extremely hard to do without a tanking gear because you can't reach him without getting damaged by his punches or lasers. Every other subclass has way better options.

Getting the North Pole is pure pain with spears only. I have never suffered so much before.

The North pole is good for Duke fishron and Empress of light, mediocre against the Lunatic cultist and very bad against Moon Lord. It's sad that that's how the spear that acts the least like a spear and acts more like a magic wand is the most broken one. Either way, there should probably be a spear that's good for Lunatic cultist and Moon Lord.

Vanilla spears aren't as good as I thought NGL.

True spears would be cooler if they had more spears and unique effects per spear

It is a spear, but it does not function like the others, so it doesnt unfortunately.
Wiki classifies Zenith and Starlight as "other" instead of swords. Cant really trust the wiki on everything tbh
the wiki classifies weapons by their code rather than name or functionality。 the daybreak and starlight are not really similar in code compared to other swords and spears, instead, falling into the broader "projectile melee" category (different from projectile swords! it means any melee weapon that is only the projectile, like the flying knife or arkhalis。) they are just in the "other" section because the wiki splits weapons into the stricter subclass categories, but they are not technically considered part of one。 although the game calls them swords/spears and they function similarly to them, they are grouped in the wiki by commonalities in code, probably to avoid confusion and/or the need to add too many weapon subgroups。

Back
Top Bottom