Spear discussion thread (Best subclass in the game!)

Lancer of hatred

The Destroyer
Talk about everything related to spears.
Discuss the state of spears in Vanilla Terraria or Modded Terraria.
Post kill times using spears.
Comment on mods related to spears.
Talk about videos related to spears.
Make guides on how to use the spear subclass.
Talk about modded spears.
Think of adding more spears.

Spread the love for spears!

Please don't come here to hate, mock or insult spears :c

Spears are quote a uncommon class but still can be usful im not a spear fan myself but i can say there is alot of ouportunity for them

Hello, I am currently doing a spears only playthrough to identify progression gaps in the spear subclass. I have discovered that the Storm spear is broken, that the Dark lance is better than the Titanium trident, and that it's really hard to fight Queen Slime and the Twins using spears. I have fought Queen Slime and I managed to kill her after around 3 deaths with the Dark Lance, but I still haven't defeated the Twins with pre mech spears on Master mode after fighting them for 7 hours straight.

I should also mention that I found an interesting mod related to spears. I might or might not make a video reviewing that mod.
Steam Workshop::Ore Spears

Spears peak with the north-pole, and even then it is much more of a crowd control weapon (An amazing one at that). For damage, a Melee player would always have flails and swords to complete the task

Spears peak with the north-pole, and even then it is much more of a crowd control weapon (An amazing one at that). For damage, a Melee player would always have flails and swords to complete the task
WRONG!!
I mean, flails and swords are good, but spears are no pushover either. The mushroom spear might be one of the best spears for the mechanical bosses and Plantera. The Gungnir is not only cool but good too. The Storm spear might be the second best pre-boss melee weapon after the Star fury. The Rotted fork is one of the best melee weapons you can get at the start. With one bomb to get, it performs better than all the ore swords.

Spears are also just cooler.

1713942324947.png

Pre-Mech spears need a buff. The Twins were too hard and too long.

The Storm spear might be the second best pre-boss melee weapon after the Star fury. The Rotted fork is one of the best melee weapons you can get at the start. With one bomb to get, it performs better than all the ore swords.
Blade of Grass/ Thorn Chakram for pre-boss

Fiery Greatsword/ Sunfury for post evil biome boss

Night's edge past skeletron

and past the wall you can use the drippler crippler, and hang with your night's edge

Of course, no weapon will win the fight for you

Blade of Grass/ Thorn Chakram for pre-boss

Fiery Greatsword/ Sunfury for post evil biome boss

Night's edge past skeletron

and past the wall you can use the drippler crippler, and hang with your night's edge

Of course, no weapon will win the fight for you
Sunfury isn't post evil biome bosses, it's post skeletron

The Storm spear deals more damage than the Blade of grass and Thorn chakram. You just need to hit true melee attacks, which is quite easy to do.

Basically, this mod adds spears that are very balanced and have good sprites. They look like vanilla weapons.

The spears added are spear counterparts to the early game ore swords ranging from copper and tin to gold and platinum.

Fun Fact:
The only reason the spell tome Apostheosis exists in calamity is spears. It was a reward to one of the devs for winning a spear-only DoG speedrun race. The dark knowledge of the prodigal knight, Darth Revan, will have more fun facts later.

Fun Fact:
The only reason the spell tome Apostheosis exists in calamity is spears. It was a reward to one of the devs for winning a spear-only DoG speedrun race. The dark knowledge of the prodigal knight, Darth Revan, will have more fun facts later.
Why is it a spell tome and not a spear?

oh hey! i did a spears only run as well,in expertmode(it was shortswords only at first but i realized VERY quickly that that was too tedious),and can confirm, they are really good。

some highlights were:
- rotten fork being so insanely good (and sadly highly slept on) i beat the brain first try ... 3 times。
- storm spear sub 3 minutes skeletron fight,its relatively fast attack rate makes it great for killing the hands quickly,but its damage is pretty low,so you really only deal all the hits during the headspin。
- titanium spear annihilating 1/3 of the destroyer's hp with a few stabs to the coil
- north pole wiping out the lunar events and moonlord way better than i expected, a good alternative if you are tired of using the pillar weapons!

some lowlights were:
- dying repeatedly to torch god in earlygame but thats unrelated
- having to come into kissing range with the wall of flesh in order to attack it with the dark lance (took a few attemps,but i eventually got it)
- fighting the frost moon with gungnir (you can probably imagine how that goes ...)

it is a shame the great majority of spears are uninteresting,copy and paste versions of themself that are almost functionally identical。 i wish that,one day,the game will make them a little more unique (maybe some spear alt attack where you throw it,or can use it to dash?),so it does not get overshadowed by its neighboring melee subclasses。

Back
Top Bottom