Terraria Community Forums

Granger
Granger
If they didnt catch this in all of their highschool life, please do tell me how they went trough any of it? Also, by your logic, any answers ARE correct, because you neednt to follow the etablished rules -> Insane Troll logic. (Not calling you a Troll, of course)
Leinfors
Leinfors
Maybe they didn't go to high school? High school completion rates in the US alone is only 80%.

Not to mention, its plenty common to forget things you learned if you don't use them. As a non-mathematician, I virtually never use any of my high school, or even middle school, mathematics on even an annual basis. Lack of use, along with a personal lack of aptitude, and I've forgotten tons of it by now.
Kazzymodus
Kazzymodus
I think this is also a strong case of group pressure: if quite a few people say 2, you're pretty likely to say 2 as well, even if you're pretty sure they're wrong.

The Asch Experiment comes to mind.
Leinfors
Leinfors
When I say they are correct, what I meant was they "added and subtracted and multiplied numbers and came out to a correct answer by the order they followed". Obviously that order was wrong, but order of operations is an arbitrary rule, rather than an intuitive one, and so I don't have a ton of respect for it as a measure of intelligence.
Granger
Granger
Yes, that i can relate to... but basic addition, substraction, division and multiplication is something you do daily. Hell, purcasing things requires you to do this.

Speaking of which, this gives me a great example why the order isnt as arbitary as you might think: Grab 1 bag of chips (2$), 4 Bottles of Coke (1$ Each), have a rebate of 3$. Results in 2+1x4-3. Not so uninutive now, right?
Granger
Granger
You aint buying 4 bags of chips after all, yeah?
Kazzymodus
Kazzymodus
As someone who was terrible at math, I promise you that applied maths (purchasing) and textbook math (operations) are not equally simple to understand. Try and explain to someone why multiplications come first without using a real life example, for instance.
Granger
Granger
Its faster to compute. Personally i multiply whenever applicable when im shopping.
Leinfors
Leinfors
Basic addition and subtraction, I learned in 1st grade. Multiplication and division, through 3rd and 4th. But I wasn't taught order of operations until High School. I wouldn't consider that basic.

Purchasing items isn't quite the same, as you can't have negatives. :p I'm pretty sure the mathematicians who established these rules weren't doing it to prevent people from cheesing their rebates!
Granger
Granger
Derp, didnt read your comment correctly... why do you want me to explain it without irl examples if the reason for doing it this way comes exactly from there. x_x But okay, ill try to come up with an example, gimme a bit.
Aesir
Aesir
I'm back from my math practice. You guys spoke of the devil so much he came knocking on my door. Hehe, it was fun. Trigonometric circle is quite fun.
Leinfors
Leinfors
I'd be more interested to see a history of who decided the order of operations and why. But I doubt its a IRL reasoning for it.
Kazzymodus
Kazzymodus
Because you are implying it's logical that multiplications come first in textbook math because they do so in real life, and I'm saying that such a link is not that straightforward.
Granger
Granger
Capital management: You have various costs (rent, food for 4 people), and incomes (work). (as examples) Same thing basically, but you can have negatives.
The Ice Cube
The Ice Cube
thats it im disabling alerts
Rokas
Rokas
it's -17
Granger
Granger
Welp, some digging later : http://mathforum.org/library/drmath/view/52582.html

It seems the ruling came about pretty much naturally, manmade, but without much disagreement. My theory for that is that it just simply doesnt make sense or work with property. Where would that excess property come from if you add before you multiply?
Granger
Granger
That said, i cant come up with any abstract reasoning why we muliply first. Lets do it religiously: God said so because i said so. (Dont hurt me pls, religious people. Its jokingly meant.)
Ori
Ori
You'd have to go really deep to find that out. Since there is sooo much math that is widely used that are based upon this rule among others it has to be this way. I think out of the possible outcomes when trying to come up with a rule, this one was the easiest one to create when you have an addition/subtraction & multiplication/division system created for the decimal system it all comes down to logic.
MinerTurtle45
MinerTurtle45
how do i stop getting alerts from this
Back
Top Bottom