Terraria Community Forums

neoselket
neoselket
Preferably python, as that's the language i'm most used to, but others would be ok too. I've been wanting to learn to make computer games for some time now, but the internet hasn't been much help and i feel I'd benefit from having someone i could talk to as i learn so i could ask questions and stuff.
neoselket
neoselket
Basically i want to learn as much of the base commands and stuff as possible and how to use them, so i could make stuff without having to ask "how do i make a window" or "how do i make a menu".
Akrasia
Akrasia
The thing about coding is that you need to learn the concepts first and foremost - the rest tends to be rather easy to learn.

As for game programming, i'd recommend java rather than python. I personally use c# but it's not very good for non-windows apps. If you choose c# I can help you along the way, and if it's java i can help you generally (it's similar to c#)
Akrasia
Akrasia
Python is a very powerful language, but it's not oriented towards game-dev. I don't think I've ever seen a published python game
neoselket
neoselket
If you could help me learn the basic concepts of java, i would be extremely grateful.
Kazzymodus
Kazzymodus
I would advise you to use C# over Java. It's the main language used by Unity and XNA (and its extensions such as MonoGame) and improves on Java on many fronts (especially if you're new to coding). It's true that it's rather limited in its portability, but that shouldn't be an issue when starting out (unless you are working on iOS or Linux yourself)..
Akrasia
Akrasia
I actually don't know java, (hence why I can only help 'generally'), but it's very similar to C# from what I've seen - if there's a specific question you have or problem you're stuggling with, just message me :D

The game I'm coding (the gif i posted on status a while back) was coded in Monogame C#, by the way
neoselket
neoselket
In that case, C# is fine. What programs do i need?
Kazzymodus
Kazzymodus
You should get Visual Studio 2017 (completely free) as your IDE. I recommend first making some simple non-game applications (e.g. a branching story): immediately jumping into games, even something as (deceptively) simple as, say, Pong, can be very overwhelming.
Kazzymodus
Kazzymodus
After you get the hang of the basics, it really depends on the kind of games you want to make. Unity allows you to make (relatively) complex games quite quickly, but also involves a lot of non-programming stuff you need to take care of. MonoGame is substantially more complicated when starting out, and requires more work to get something decent running, but on the other hand is a lot more instructive.
Akrasia
Akrasia
Personally, Unity2D was just a headache to work with. Monogame is a lot more simpler, but it relies a lot more heavily on the abilities of the programmer.
Akrasia
Akrasia
As Kazzy said, you should first learn basic concepts such as recursion, or data types such as nodes, stacks, queues, etc. before attempting a game. Data types are relatively easy to learn (although important to practice with in order to ensure comprehension). Concepts are *very* important, but also harder to tackle. Coding concepts exist regardless of language thankfully
neoselket
neoselket
Can you teach me those?
Akrasia
Akrasia
I can help try. add me on discord Akrasia#7355
Back
Top Bottom