Terraria Community Forums

Desucrate
Desucrate
The thing is, grammar and spelling go hand in hand. U wudn't liek et ef I taked liek dis, wud u?
what about this?
Akrasia
Akrasia
Grammar, Spelling and Punctuation are the three building blocks of proper language, of course I wouldn't like if one of the foundations were gone. However, if you're going to correct someone, at least know what you're correcting.
Desucrate
Desucrate
What I'm correcting is not if one of the foundations are gone, I'm correcting the fact that you're saying spelling is not applicable to Grammar Nazism.

Grammar Nazism doesn't require use of only grammar.
Akrasia
Akrasia
It does. The name "Grammar Nazi" is a highly exaggerated term for people who correct GRAMMAR. Had it been spelling as well, it would be called English Nazi or something. I've met many grammar nazis who thought that grammar and spelling are the same.
Kyouko Tsukino
Kyouko Tsukino
To be honest, in some cases the term does fit. Seen plenty of those "Grammar Nazi" who obviously don't even know how grammar works - they're just blindly following the crowd of GMs, imitating instead of learning, and thus failing at what they should be doing.

GG WP?
Desucrate
Desucrate
With that logic, you'd have to call a homophobe who only dislikes lesbians a lesbianphobe, because you can't use lesbian to describe a homosexual male.
Kyouko Tsukino
Kyouko Tsukino
I see you're familiar with the concept of nonsequiturs and red herrings, mostly refered to as "strawmen."
Akrasia
Akrasia
Not true. Homo reffers to both Lesbian and Gay, so it can be either or both. Grammar refers only to grammar, so it can't be spelling.
Desucrate
Desucrate
Well, the Purdue OWL includes spelling in it's grammar list. I don't know what to tell you.
Desucrate
Desucrate
Now let's stop this stupid little argument before we get any warning points. I already got one on the topic of grammar.
Kyouko Tsukino
Kyouko Tsukino
Thanks for admitting defeat, then - only reason to want an argument to stop when you're involved.
Desucrate
Desucrate
I'm not admitting defeat, I just want this argument to stop. I don't find it fun to have to argue about a subject which is most likely subject to opinion. And just to straighten things out, @Leinfors @Nike Leon @Tsuki @Matsu
Leinfors
Leinfors
Matsu
Matsu
I am of the camp that believes that grammar and spelling are different. While both fundamental, they are not intrinsically linked. In my mind at least. Also, as Leinfors said, you guys can have this discussion as long as you like. Just remember to keep it civil.
Akrasia
Akrasia
The discussion seems civil (To me, anyways), though calling it an 'argument' and 'admitting defeat' seems a bit immature - This is a discussion, not an argument ^^
@agent_alx Hmm, link? I am unfamiliar with this Purdue OWL, and I couldn't find the page you were talking about on their site.
Desucrate
Desucrate
Akrasia
Akrasia
"This resource covers common spelling errors including accept/except, ei/ie, noun plurals, and –ible/able." - In otherwords, rather than mispellings such as "Fight" and "Fite," it talks about using plurals correctly, switching the word you meant with a similar sounding word, and suffixes.
Akrasia
Akrasia
All of those are indeed part of grammar, but they did not mean spelling as a whole, just the branch that merges with grammar. Spelling, at it's core, is not correcting whether it's plural or not, a mistake like that is grammar, not spelling.
Desucrate
Desucrate
Wha- what? "All of those are indeed part of grammar" yet spelling doesn't count as grammar?

Anyway, I'm bored of this discussion. This matter is heavily subject to opinion, so, as such, it's just like trying to tell someone your opinion is right and their opinion is wrong.
It's like terrorism, but without the terrorism
Kyouko Tsukino
Kyouko Tsukino
And yet you fail to see the obvious. It's like the old saying "not all that shines is gold." Being a supposed expert in gold does not make you an expert in shinies, and you should thus not be calling yourself an expert in shinies, just in gold.

Hence, all the "Spelling Grammar Nazis" out there should stop mislabeling themselves twice.
Back
Top Bottom