PC 1.3 changes

Praise Zeus, I finally downed Skeletron in expert mode - the boss is pretty ridiculous! Now I will get access to wires, and since I already have mob statues and tons of dart traps, I can *finally* start some engineering :). I decided to farm Queen Bee for the beenades, since the beenades allow you to focus on dodging instead of aiming. Took 300 beenades to take skeletron down, and I had the nurse nearby just in case. Queen Bee is a breeze by comparison! I built a surface arena just for Queen Bee, and farmed her over and over.

Finally tried 1.3! I dont have much time, so stopped after defeatind EoC. It was so much easier compared to what I was expecting after reading forums. I had 220hp, full silver armor, golden bow with frostburn arrows, ironskin and health regen potions, plus made an arena with minecart rails. Killed 2 eyes in one night, first attempt)). I also don't understand why people complain about expert mode, and dont say anything about hardmode characters - its waay harder to play like that even on normal.

About the changes - being able to sit in the minecart and build rails... damn, I love it, even on this early stage I have a cheap railway skybridge reaching ocean (on big map)!
We also need to study what npc abilities are, for example driad is giving +8 defence, so now we should try to add npc's to new farms.
Banners seem to affect enemies quite strong, I've added one against cave bats in my cavern fishing pool, decreased damage from 10 to 1.

So I put my 1.3 expert playthrough on hold and returned to my old 1.2.4 worlds to try a lot of the new content. I was a bit surprised how the 1.2.4 endgame gear can annihilate the lead-up to the final boss and the new event. Managed to get all the 1.3 endgame gear for all 4 classes, and they are just way too strong now. For instance, the ranger can kill all 3 mech bosses in expert mode in 15-20 seconds; individually they go down in seconds. The golem takes a few seconds to kill on expert. This will have some impact on how to build the boss and event farms, since they compete with superfast kills using endgame weapons. There is also the fact that a single dungeon spike completely trivializes the final boss, since the final boss doesn't do contact damage, so there is little point to an arena. Instead, you can load up on super-buffed endgame minions and turrets (there's like 7-8 turrets you can put up now - it's pretty ridiculous), plop onto a spike, and come back a couple of minutes later.

I think of greater value will be finding a good way of farming the entire moon event, not just the final boss. I will probably design an entire 1.3 world around that. I noticed that the relative positions of the pillars in the world doesn't change all that much (they seem to always appear within a certain radius at 4 locations), but the pillars rotate among those positions each time the moon event is initiated. It might be possible to create a semi-automated Horseman's Blade farm so that the pumpkins can track down and kill the pillars once the shield goes down. The minion approach is good too (and my god the minions and turrets are so incredibly powerful in 1.3) but has a more limited range.

I am currently doing an expert playthrough, and have managed to kill Plantera and the Golem. Before I get to the
lunar events or Martian invasion
, I would like to collect some stuff from the Pumpkin moon and Christmas wave events. Is it even worth doing these on Expert? And if so has anyone managed to get far in them?

I have a few ideas that have been made possible in this update for a possible arena for these waves, not sure how viable they are yet though as I haven't tested them:

• The Golem's expert drop is an accessory that regeneratess health quickly when stood still. If this were to be used it could help keep the player alive if they were to use low defence armour in favour of damage, or survivability in expert mode, for if the player can't maintain life points otherwise.
  • The mechanical cart crafted from the 3 mechanical boss expert drops is very quick, and it appears to be able to fire lasers. Maybe it would be possible to separate the smaller monsters from the larger ones, and have them moved onto a track which the player would run over. The fast minecart might be able to dodge some attacks too.

Again, not tested these ideas (I am too busy playing to find out!).

I am currently doing an expert playthrough, and have managed to kill Plantera and the Golem. Before I get to the
lunar events or Martian invasion
, I would like to collect some stuff from the Pumpkin moon and Christmas wave events. Is it even worth doing these on Expert? And if so has anyone managed to get far in them?

Pumpkin Moon can be very useful for the summoner drops - you get 2 powerful accessories and the Ravens are still good until you get the cells from the pillar. However, it's probably better to trigger the end game event first since after beating a couple of the pillars (which is inevitable, since they don't go away even if you die) you gain some beastly weapons without needing to beat the final boss. Of course that's only if you can survive the first mini-boss :). I don't think there's really anything that useful in the Frost Moon event, and Frost Moon is such a pain to farm anyways.

As a side note, I tried the Psycho Knife but unfortunately when you're in stealth the pillar mobs still target you :(. Not sure about Pumpkin/Frost Moon mobs though. Since the Solar Eclipse can now be triggered it's easier to farm for the knife.

I have a few ideas that have been made possible in this update for a possible arena for these waves, not sure how viable they are yet though as I haven't tested them:

• The Golem's expert drop is an accessory that regeneratess health quickly when stood still. If this were to be used it could help keep the player alive if they were to use low defence armour in favour of damage, or survivability in expert mode, for if the player can't maintain life points otherwise.
  • The mechanical cart crafted from the 3 mechanical boss expert drops is very quick, and it appears to be able to fire lasers. Maybe it would be possible to separate the smaller monsters from the larger ones, and have them moved onto a track which the player would run over. The fast minecart might be able to dodge some attacks too.

Again, not tested these ideas (I am too busy playing to find out!).

The golem expert item isn't really that great, since you'd need some sort of damage mitigator (mob statue mainly, since the spike doesn't block all contact damage) to survive in expert mode if you plan to stand still. If you're using a mitigator, then there's really no need for the golem item since you can offset all the damage with pre-1.3 items. Better to save that accessory slot for a damage booster.

I'd really like to see you test the cart though! I haven't even used it once yet since I haven't built any minecart tracks in the 1.3 worlds, so I'm really curious just how strong it is. Ramming damage is supposed to be based on speed, so if this expert mode cart can reach much faster speeds, it could perhaps do some serious damage to trash mobs - maybe even 1-shot them?

I'll be working on a massive new 1.3 world designed primarily around farming the entire moon event. I have a number of ideas already, but I need to test out a few things first. I really want to avoid resorting to the spike trick against the final boss though, since I prefer to avoid exploits even in the farms whenever possible. Using the spike and summoner gear makes it too easy :).

Check the minecart its really great, now all of my arenas use rails. I've killed EoW doing about 60% of damage just riding through him.
Preparing for skeleton now, already had one sad attempt =)

With Meowmere doing Moon event i got to 15th wave so fast and even managed to get 58 Pumpkin trophies in one night, rip my farm builds X).

I tested the idea of teleporting smaller mobs onto a rail for me to run over with a fast minecart. I activated the pumpkin moon and waited to see what would happen. Unfortunately, since I put the teleporters that the monsters would be arriving into underneath my minecart track I got teleported as well. After a couple of minutes of messing around with the design a bit I just gave up and proceeded to do the event without a proper arena and got to wave 15 no problem with a phantasm and ichor arrows.

I highly doubt an arena for pumpkin moon is even needed, unless you want to AFK it or aren't very good at fighting. Frost moon on the other hand might be a different story.

In case you still want to try I'd propose to use deactivated teleporters several tiles above rails, so the monsters fall down. Use a teleporter placement glitch so the wont have anything under them.

Crab engines are broken. They no longer jump higher than the height of the statue, meaning you can't get a pressure plate low enough for them to access. The workaround - luring them into a second chamber - is obvious, but I just figured I'd let everyone know.

Also, new temple generation?

5va1uRh.png

I have never seen more than a few fire traps in an entire temple, much less a stack of five. This temple also had zero spear traps.

Last edited:
Damn - plantera is difficult now! I don't like to fly around and shoot so it took me quite some time to defeat it my way.

Got about 110 defense (turtle armor, warding accessories, all buffs), added two heart statues and a dryad house close to me. Than trapped myself in a chamber from spikes with honey and killed it in less than a minute with Fetid Baghnakhs. Long time to prepare but no skill needed to kill it =)

Two things about traps after 1.3.0.4 update :
* They seem to count for banner, if you kill monsters with (not 100% sure...)
* Spike balls traps won't generate others balls if the previous ones are still there. (bug ?)

Others things :
* Lava doesn't count for banners.
* Banners bonuses are GREAT. +50% dmg and 0.75 dmg received in normal mode, +100% dmg and 0.5 dmg received in expert mode.

Hey. I played a couple hours of early game, the other day, and the took a quick wonder around my old laboratory worlds, just now. The two big wiring changes are: to statues (as mentioned), taking maximum monster/item output down by a factor of 6, with only one input now (making individual heart statues virtually useless). But also something I've not seen mentioned: cool-down times on all traps seem to have been tweaked to be deliberately out of line with the simple 1, 3, 5 second timers.
  • Dart, super dart, flame now just over 3s (3.5s? Can anyone verify, exactly?)
  • Spikey ball > 5s (5.5s?).
  • Spear trap < 2s (1.5s?).
This has broken broken my rapid fire dart trap batteries, potentially halving output by inserting a gap in the firing pattern. Notes will be needed on various guides, etc (sigh), and I'll try to update the "trap characteristics" thread once the exact information is nailed down. This does, however, give clever engineers more scope for trap design improvements over those using simplistic triggering set-ups (so time to get designing)!

Other changes I've seen:
  • Minecart - slower default cart (tops at ~37tile/s) provides a new range of precise trigger timings.
  • Minecart Track - can not be actuated.
  • Liquids - move speed (carts) in lava now 1/2, in line with water (was it 1/3 before?).
  • 'Bleed zone' (inaccessible map boarder) increased by 8 tiles, on edge of world. [Edit: please disregard me fooling myself.]
  • Bunny behaviour seems different (didn't move when I spawned some). Not noticed any other statue mob changes.
  • Teleporting doesn't black the screen (much better for rapid teleporting applications; less epilepsy/headache inducing).
  • Laying rails (and using weapons) while in minecart is convenient, but kind of overpowered. e.g. ugly sky rails straight to anywhere. Ultimate for arena mobility now, surely (untested)? Fishron, etc.
Unchanged:
  • Hoiks all tested out with same functionality so far.
  • Ghost walls (stairs against sides of blocks letting you pass through). @Pseudoname's 'bubble walls' sound like they might be a prettier alternative to some applications of this.
  • Teleporter float glitch.
  • Spawn ranges and limits aren't obviously different (in wild or for statue mobs). Needs proper testing though.
Additions (I like, so far):
  • Trap doors
    • Good for various contraptions in place of actuated blocks, but...
    • Can be wired so a signal always closes them (like doors).
    • Could be used for direction switching in hoiktronics (instantaneous opening, like doors), which might look more elegant.
  • Gates - (oversized slide doors), again more elegant than actuated blocks, for cart access, large monsters, etc...?
Do you guys think 1.3.0.4 will be it for the hot-fixes, for now? But...
Almost no changes in wiring for this update, but planned for the next one. (Source Cenx)
.... So 1.3.1 in several months time? Like the sequential 1.2 updates? (Thought this might have just been it. Hah.) Also, should we make this thread sticky, perhaps, or start a new one of confirmed changes, implications and uses?...

Last edited:
I'd really like to see you test the cart though! I haven't even used it once yet since I haven't built any minecart tracks in the 1.3 worlds, so I'm really curious just how strong it is. Ramming damage is supposed to be based on speed, so if this expert mode cart can reach much faster speeds, it could perhaps do some serious damage to trash mobs - maybe even 1-shot them?
Tried the minecart, it shot lasers in expert mode that seems to deal around 51-71 damage without accounting armor, giving invulnerability ticks.

But also something I've not seen mentioned: cool-down times on all traps seem to have been tweaked to be deliberately out of line with the simple 1, 3, 5 second timers.
  • Dart, super dart, flame now just over 3s (3.5s? Can anyone verify, exactly?)
  • Spikey ball > 5s (5.5s?).
  • Spear trap < 2s (1.5s?).

Spiky ball traps seemed to work fine with 5 second timers for me, so I looked into it. After a bit of digging around I found that the use times for them are as follows:
  • Dart, super dart, flame - 200
  • Spiky ball - 300
  • Spear trap - 90
Taking into account what I assume is a 60 tickrate, it means that the Dart/Flame traps cooldown is ~3.3s, Spiky ball trap cooldown is 5s, and the Spear trap cooldown is 1.5s.. I think..?

Unchanged:
  • Hoiks all tested out with same functionality so far.
Hoiks are unchanged, but the modified town NPC behaviors are having an impact on some hoik set-ups. For instance:

iGM0yU6.jpg

This NPC got stuck at the end of a track instead of being teleported away. For some reason the NPCs no longer consistently activate pressure plates when they are ejected horizontally onto them by a hoik. Fortunately the fix is really easy (avoid ejecting NPCs onto pressure plates and instead put the pressure plates under/above the hoik teeth).

The majority of my hoiktronics builds broke because of this, so I've been waiting for TEdit to update for 1.3 to make the changes.

The majority of my hoiktronics builds broke because of this, so I've been waiting for TEdit to update for 1.3 to make the changes.

There is an experimental version of tEdit that works for 1.3.0.4. I've used it to fix / move a few things in one of my 1.3 worlds and it seems to work fine for the most part. I found how to get it on a Reddit post earlier this week https://www.reddit.com/r/Terraria/comments/3cjurf.

There is an experimental version of tEdit that works for 1.3.0.4. I've used it to fix / move a few things in one of my 1.3 worlds and it seems to work fine for the most part. I found how to get it on a Reddit post earlier this week https://www.reddit.com/r/Terraria/comments/3cjurf.

I was a bit hesitant to try at first it but I'll now have a look since it worked fine for you (thanks for the heads-up!). I have a back-up of every world anyways so there's no harm in trying :).

Back
Top Bottom