NPCs & Enemies [1.3] Crawltepede's Spawn rate should be lowered.

Do you agree? Should Crawltepede's Spawn rate Decrease?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I thought Solar was the worst. Until I realized that staying on the ground makes them go away.
Also, please don't use the "I use this class" excuse.
I was playing DPS Beetle with Possessed Hatchet and an Influx Waver, my friend was playing full Shroomite with Xeno Popper and Sniper.
He died less than me.
Also as a general tip, you can die in this, there is no down side. Just bring some wood, a bed, and make it so you spawn right outside the biome.

My terrain was full of hills you have to jump over, so it was hell for us, but we still managed. I actually really like that there's a strategy for each pillar, Solar being that you must stay on the ground.

I initially struggled with the crawltipedes, as i used the same strategy as i had on the other pillars, fly up high, and shoot down, but the crawlitpedes made it a challenge. I find that the best solution is to stay close to the ground (not on it), as the crawltipedes will always stay up in the air.
I still agree though, they're very annoying, even with endgame armor i still die at the solar pillar far to often.

Dont stay on the ground, and if you have it, use the north pole. Im not there yet, i wouldnt know, i just read this on the wiki. im not even in hardmode.:sigh:

I found a super easy way to deal with them. Get the Stardust dragon staff, it latches on to the back of them and kills them really quickly. Then all you need to do is dodge a couple of times.

I would suggest for first timers to save Nebula for last to get through Solar. I did them in this order for my Expert mode play-through.
1- Vortex (Vortex Beater)
2- Stardust (Stardust Dragon Staff)
3- Solar (Solar Eruption)
4- Nebula (Going into it tomorrow after preparing for the Moon lord)

For the Crawltepede I would suggest only doing single jumps to avoid enemies so these guys will ignore you (while I let the Stardust Dragon deal with them, quickly at that). Blast the others with the Vortex Beater (whilst entering and exiting to control the crowd or find a water pool as most of the enemies become harmless in water) which I used cursed bullets for. While I did have Beetle armor with all accessories with Warding (also removed my wings and triple balloon, just to remove the chances) I was able to keep most enemies out of reach. Eventually I noticed the shield was down and easily destroyed the tower in seconds. With the strategy I did I almost didn't notice the Crawltepedes, but instead found difficulty with the Corites as they travel through walls, are nearly unaffected by knockback, and fairly fast.

It's not a matter of training, I've already beaten Expert Mode, it's that, you need to fly away from Corites, which then aggros Crawltipedes, which then chain you and your friends and kill 1/2 of your party because you're playing as a Mage or a Summoner. While yes, you can outrun them, it's awkward when projectiles, Crawltepedes, Corites, Selenians, Srollers, Drakanians, and Drakomires all take a huge chunk of your HP and to avoid the Corites, Selenians, Srollers, Drakanians, and Drakomires, one needs to fly, which then aggros Crawltipedes. If I (as a summoner) don't fly, I die in seconds, if I fly, I still die in seconds. Players shouldn't be punished for having extra mobility.

This. So much this. Even as a Warrior. Crawltepedes would be no issue if I could stay on the ground. However I cannot knock back Corites worth beans. They're my only problem. They pierce right through my attacks and bash right into me. The moment I jump into the air.. BAM! A Crawltepede. They just wombo combo ya.

It's not a matter of training, I've already beaten Expert Mode, it's that, you need to fly away from Corites, which then aggros Crawltipedes, which then chain you and your friends and kill 1/2 of your party because you're playing as a Mage or a Summoner. While yes, you can outrun them, it's awkward when projectiles, Crawltepedes, Corites, Selenians, Srollers, Drakanians, and Drakomires all take a huge chunk of your HP and to avoid the Corites, Selenians, Srollers, Drakanians, and Drakomires, one needs to fly, which then aggros Crawltipedes. If I (as a summoner) don't fly, I die in seconds, if I fly, I still die in seconds. Players shouldn't be punished for having extra mobility.

Yes, I'm sure that's what they thought when making Dark Souls.
The difference is being beatable, and shoe-horning in a poorly balanced enemy that requires you to play a specific class.

Please refrain from one sentence responses. Shouldn't what?

I beat the Solar solo with Spooky Armor on. That's 27 defense. I used full summoning accessories and menacing. So, no you don't need to use melee. Starcells, a 1 segment dragon, nimbus rods, and clinger staff work great for crowd control. This was solo. As far as I am aware, mobs don't scale to player numbers stat wise and player firepower increases a lot more than mob numbers.

Crawltipedes were made so you can't just cheese the poor melee mobs by flying above them. They should stay, and they don't need to be nerfed in anyway.

Also, Toris was, kind of obviously, responding to the OP. They didn't quote anyone and their response is basically one of the poll options.

Guys, no offence, but damn you suck, it's really easy to kill and it doesn't even target you unless you fly (you can still jump, it won't target you unless you take more than 1.5 sec to reach to floor).

I don't think they need a nerf at all. Just take down the Stardust pillar before you take on the Solar pillar, get the Stardust Dragon Staff and it'll take care of the rest.

Before anything else: My entired findings and opinions are based on normal mode. I haven't played expert this far.

That being said: I also don't think they need a nerf. Granted, the first two times I was playing Lunar (solo Ranger) I got my :red: wrecked by Crawlies, but that's just because I was flying around like a lunatic, trying to dodge them. After I found out that they leave me alone if I stay to the ground or not take to the air for longer than a few seconds (and let's be honest, with good wings it's quite easy to get pretty far in just a second or two to reposition yourself) I didn't really had that much of a problem with the Solar Pillar anymore. Granted, I still sometimes die from the other enemies, but it's not like death during the pillar stage is much of a deal (unless you play Medium- and Hardcore of course). I don't want to sound like the 'git gud, noob fegget' guy, but if you can't deal with specific enemies with your setup, you have to look at the less obvious variables and try to change those around. For summoners, positioning is as vital as the minion you chose. You are getting swarmed? Try to get to a position where you're only vulnerable from one side. Stardust dragon doesn't work? Try the Starcell or even some 'older' minions (just because their damage is lower doesn't mean their behaviour can't help). Don't blame it just on the gear or the enemy. I can't even imagine how horrendous Nebula must be for pure Yoyo-Users, for example.

Besides: As a summoner, you probably won't get around the fact that you need some kind of backup weapon for emergencies. 'Relying mostly on his minions...' is how I pretty much imagine every description for a summoner. 'Mostly'. That does not mean 'entirely'.

In terms of Mages: There are pretty good magic weapons (Razorblade, Razorpine, Bubblegun) that should easily allow you to survive when combined with a Spectre Hood. Granted, it might take longer to kill your enemies, but you should be able to outheal them, no?

Personally, I suggest doing them in the order of Stardust, Vortex and then flip a coin for Nebula and Solar or go for the one where you want the gear most.

The only problem with lowering the Crawltipede's spawn rate is that they really don't have one. A Crawltipede will spawn when one isn't there, it's as simple as that. Their sole purpose is to keep the player on the ground and in melee range of the melee-only Solar enemies. If you do stay on the ground, you should have very little problems with the Solar Pillar as Crawltipedes stop targeting you when you stand on a tile. In fact, you can even outsmart the Crawltipedes by putting a random tile midair and standing on it-- they won't target you.

If anything they should nerf the spawn rate for Corites; those guys are the bane of my existence!

Back
Top Bottom