Standalone [1.3] tModLoader - A Modding API

Hey guys, I have a question. I'm really new to this modding thing with Terraria. I am currently playing modded with one of my friends. We have gotten past Moon Lord so far. Before we started that playthrough I discovered some sort of glitch that made my world have invisible blocks such as trees and my buildings. I believe this is because I added or got rid of a mod or two that I had enabled. I'm not sure if this is just a common bug or if it's really rare. I am bringing this up because I wish to add more mods to my multiplayer world but am very scared of corrupting it again and having to restart. Does anyone know if it is truly safe for me to add more mods or delete them?
If you create a new world with a mod enabled, and that mod changes how the world is generated (for instance, it adds a special ore), then you should always have that mod enabled when you play that particular mod; if you disable it, any blocks (and items) originating from that mod will become blank, because they their reference is now missing. This is not a bug, it's just how tModLoader works.

So if you generate a world with a mod that modifies world generation enabled (I assume those are labeled as such in your mod list), you should always have that mod enabled when you use that world. Generally, you can freely enable and disable new mods after world gen, although as soon as you place tiles in your world belonging to a certain mod, you need to keep that mod enabled, or the tiles will go blank.

If you create a new world with a mod enabled, and that mod changes how the world is generated (for instance, it adds a special ore), then you should always have that mod enabled when you play that particular mod; if you disable it, any blocks (and items) originating from that mod will become blank, because they their reference is now missing. This is not a bug, it's just how tModLoader works.

So if you generate a world with a mod that modifies world generation enabled (I assume those are labeled as such in your mod list), you should always have that mod enabled when you use that world. Generally, you can freely enable and disable new mods after world gen, although as soon as you place tiles in your world belonging to a certain mod, you need to keep that mod enabled, or the tiles will go blank.

Oh, that makes sense. What happened with my old world though is that I just built a simple house with like vanilla Terraria items. Nothing modded. And I changed some mods I had on there and it glitched everything in a small area. I just updated tModLoader and it said one of my mods SpiritMod hasn't been updated. I understand that the creators of that mod need to update it. The only thing that mod changes is it adds a new biome. Should I wait to relaunch my world until they update the mod? Also what would happen if I add a mod that creates new ores and blocks in the world? Or should I just not do that? Thank you for your response.

Oh, that makes sense. What happened with my old world though is that I just built a simple house with like vanilla Terraria items. Nothing modded. And I changed some mods I had on there and it glitched everything in a small area. I just updated tModLoader and it said one of my mods SpiritMod hasn't been updated. I understand that the creators of that mod need to update it. The only thing that mod changes is it adds a new biome. Should I wait to relaunch my world until they update the mod? Also what would happen if I add a mod that creates new ores and blocks in the world? Or should I just not do that? Thank you for your response.
Probably best to wait until the mods are updated.

As for adding mods that creates new ores and blocks, if they add those blocks during world gen, they won't do anything with already existing worlds, so you can safely toggle them. If they add those blocks afterwards, you might want to keep them enabled.

Probably best to wait until the mods are updated.

As for adding mods that creates new ores and blocks, if they add those blocks during world gen, they won't do anything with already existing worlds, so you can safely toggle them. If they add those blocks afterwards, you might want to keep them enabled.
Alright thank you soo much for your help! I really appreciate it :)

(repost because nobody answered)

I have 3 questions.

1. What is the new hook and its variables for armor effects(the trail, pulse, etc)

Code:
                public override void ArmorSetShadows(Player player, ref bool longTrail, ref bool smallPulse, ref bool largePulse, ref bool shortTrail)
                {
                        longTrail = true;
                }
doesn't work anymore

2. How do i make a biome akin to the Hallow?
by that i mean how do i make it generate in the world after the WoF is defeated

3. How do i make biome specific NPCs for the biome mentioned above

Last edited:
It seems in v 0.10.0.2, the current version, that if I reload mods that are already enabled, by disabling them and reenabling them the amount of memory my game uses increase until it crashes. I've got 8 gb installed and I noticed my game crashed when it was using over 3gb. That is a lot for Terraria. I've got about 8 mods installed so that could be an issue, but on previous versions I've never had this issue.

It's a huge issue for me because I'm currently in the middle of play through I've been waiting to record more episodes for and all the mods I'm using have finally been updated for the current verions and I can't get a consistent framerate. I can't even get 60 for that matter, it just hovers around 57-58. It's annoying and I don't know how to fix it. My PC can handle the game just fine at 1080, probably even 1440p or 4k.

i5 6500
rx 480 4gb
8gb ram

Game is running on an SSD as well and I'm recording to an HDD.

EDIT: A fix, althought it may only be temporary, was simply uninstalling Terraria and reinstalling it and tmodloader. Game is still using over 2gb of ram, but isn't laggy or using any more ram than it has been for the past 5 minutes.
When you uninstalled Terraria, did you completely wipe terraria's directory, or just uninstall through Steam leaving behind any tModLoader files?

There's been several people who have had problems that unistall/reinstall didn't fix, and I wonder if a clean wipe is what they need.

i dont know why but items are failing to load when loading mods this and alot of other files just fail to load any idea for a fix?
WcwOypx.png

When you uninstalled Terraria, did you completely wipe terraria's directory, or just uninstall through Steam leaving behind any tModLoader files?

There's been several people who have had problems that unistall/reinstall didn't fix, and I wonder if a clean wipe is what they need.
I completely reinstalled everything.

I completely reinstalled everything.
That could be it then. People are just uninstalling when they also need to clear the games directory. There may be some depreciated files left over from older versions of tModLoader that need to be removed.

Question is there an easy way to create recipes that require normal anvils, hardmode anvils, and hardmode forges? Like one of each, but any of them?

Question is there an easy way to create recipes that require normal anvils, hardmode anvils, and hardmode forges? Like one of each, but any of them?
For that, you would create three ModRecipes, each requiring a different tile but with the same result and ingredients.

For that, you would create three ModRecipes, each requiring a different tile but with the same result and ingredients.

I actually need 8 recipes, and that's assuming I'm not missing something:

public override void AddRecipes()
{
AddRecipes(ItemID.IronAnvil, ItemID.MythrilAnvil, ItemID.AdamantiteForge);
AddRecipes(ItemID.IronAnvil, ItemID.MythrilAnvil, ItemID.TitaniumForge);
AddRecipes(ItemID.IronAnvil, ItemID.OrichalcumAnvil, ItemID.AdamantiteForge);
AddRecipes(ItemID.IronAnvil, ItemID.OrichalcumAnvil, ItemID.TitaniumForge);
AddRecipes(ItemID.LeadAnvil, ItemID.MythrilAnvil, ItemID.AdamantiteForge);
AddRecipes(ItemID.LeadAnvil, ItemID.MythrilAnvil, ItemID.TitaniumForge);
AddRecipes(ItemID.LeadAnvil, ItemID.OrichalcumAnvil, ItemID.AdamantiteForge);
AddRecipes(ItemID.LeadAnvil, ItemID.OrichalcumAnvil, ItemID.TitaniumForge);
}

That's my current solution. I wish there was a more elegant way to do it but it doesn't look like we have access to any bools that allow interchangeability between the different items, if they even exist.

EDIT: Just to be clear, I'm not looking to create recipes that use one of each tile. I'm talking about making recipes that consume those items.

Last edited:
EDIT: Just to be clear, I'm not looking to create recipes that use one of each tile. I'm talking about making recipes that consume those items.
Oh, I misunderstood you then. There would be more elegant solutions for this, but I think their complexity will be too high for you. It would involve permutation sets and such.

Oh, I misunderstood you then. There would be more elegant solutions for this, but I think their complexity will be too high for you. It would involve permutation sets and such.

Well more importantly than that, the result I'm going for really doesn't need such an elegant solution if it would be too complex. Also, I forgot to realize that the lead/iron anvils are made obsolete by the existence of the mythril/orichalcum anvils. So I'm down to only 4 different recipes.

I'm just trying to create a crafting station that combines all the different vanilla crafting stations. I realize Thorium and Fargo already have this, but I prefer a solution that doesn't include all the overhead of those mods if I do not wish to use them. :)

With that being said, if anyone is willing to volunteer their spriting abilities to this project, help would be more than welcome!

I'm just trying to create a crafting station that combines all the different vanilla crafting stations. I realize Thorium and Fargo already have this, but I prefer a solution that doesn't include all the overhead of those mods if I do not wish to use them. :)
This is a good way of thought. Besides, competition is healthy.

Back
Top Bottom