Standalone [1.4.0.5] Terraria Leveled RPG mod

I've reached level 100!
That said, I've run into a balance problem. Mana Shield has proven itself to be pretty useless later in the game. I took my mage into the Celestial Towers, and was consistently taking enough damage to one-shot the Shield. I had enough mana regen from Nebula Armor, MP Rage, and dropped stars to fight unhindered.
I had 1014 Defense and 429 MP when I switched all my Abilities to boosting Mana Shield, but it still dropped on the first hit.

Generally, it seemed to be significantly less effective once I hit Hardmode, quickly becoming a hindrance.

I'll add my own two cents in that it seems that the other basic non-magic builds are the ones that benefit the most from Mana Shield. Like say a physical build can use their small mana pool to buffer some of the damage, seeing has they probably won't be using mana consuming weapons.

I've reached level 100!
That said, I've run into a balance problem. Mana Shield has proven itself to be pretty useless later in the game. I took my mage into the Celestial Towers, and was consistently taking enough damage to one-shot the Shield. I had enough mana regen from Nebula Armor, MP Rage, and dropped stars to fight unhindered.
I had 1014 Defense and 429 MP when I switched all my Abilities to boosting Mana Shield, but it still dropped on the first hit.

Generally, it seemed to be significantly less effective once I hit Hardmode, quickly becoming a hindrance.

We are fully aware of this and well.. mana shield would mostly be good prehard mode till late game where it more acts like a kinda dodge a single attack ability its not fully useless lategame in that sense.. cause it would be too overpowered when you can pretty much become invincible otherwise. me and gotest were tinkering with this during alpha and well there were a MAJOR balance issue with this as added with a more upgraded version of the mana shield you would take no damage what so ever.

I'll add my own two cents in that it seems that the other basic non-magic builds are the ones that benefit the most from Mana Shield. Like say a physical build can use their small mana pool to buffer some of the damage, seeing has they probably won't be using mana consuming weapons.

I had thought of that, but it takes a total of 17 levels in the casting stats to get Mana Shield, which is a fairly sizable investment for a single usable ability. You'd probably get more out of putting the points into Fortitude.

We are fully aware of this and well.. mana shield would mostly be good prehard mode till late game where it more acts like a kinda dodge a single attack ability its not fully useless lategame in that sense..

Hmm, it is more appealing if I think of it as more along the lines of Titanium Armor. I had just formed high expectations of it due to its prehardmode performance, where it was a pretty significant addition to my survivability.

I had thought of that, but it takes a total of 17 levels in the casting stats to get Mana Shield, which is a fairly sizable investment for a single usable ability. You'd probably get more out of putting the points into Fortitude.

Hmm, it is more appealing if I think of it as more along the lines of Titanium Armor. I had just formed high expectations of it due to its prehardmode performance, where it was a pretty significant addition to my survivability.
Mana shield was something I came up with to help out early magic users. I heard they can have it pretty rough early on, so I offered something to give them some survivability early game.

Barrier was made for endgame, as it creates a shield that absorbs damage by how much damage you do. In a sense, it could make you invincible if you can put out enough dps. (Destroyer lol)

By the way, grats on 100! I'm glad you enjoyed it enough to play it that far!

I also just realized something. The mod will be SLIGHTLY more difficult, as the player health pool doesn't scale as high as the damage pool does. (1400% hp vs 2000% damage/defense at around lv 100) we would see hp around 12000 if I scaled it evenly.

Also, if anyone wants to supply some Screenshots of the new update for the main post, that would be great!
I would do it, but I'm currently too lazy and don't really know what to show to catch the eye.

Last edited:
I'll try to get one with one of my many magic-centric characters roasting a marshmallow over a fire during a blizzard with the stat flower open.

I hope this works. Never uploaded a pic directly. Not recently anyway.

Screenshot TLeveled.png

Mana shield was something I came up with to help out early magic users. I heard they can have it pretty rough early on, so I offered something to give them some survivability early game.

In my experience, mage's biggest early problems tend to come more from lack of good weapons. Mana Shield was definitely useful in boss fights though, especially with a Mana Regeneration Band + Mana Regeneration Potion.

Barrier was made for endgame, as it creates a shield that absorbs damage by how much damage you do. In a sense, it could make you invincible if you can put out enough dps. (Destroyer lol)

That didn't make it out of playtesting, right? Because if it did, I might have to grind up the 98 platinum the Wizard wants for a stat reset.

By the way, grats on 100! I'm glad you enjoyed it enough to play it that far!

Thanks! Though admittedly the last ~15 or so levels came from grinding the Golem, and later fighting the Moon Lord.

Also, if anyone wants to supply some Screenshots of the new update for the main post, that would be great!
I would do it, but I'm currently too lazy and don't really know what to show to catch the eye.

I took a few to show off the kind of numbers you can get at high levels.

20170215135342_1.jpg
20170215134750_1.jpg
20170215132946_1.jpg

Here's another one using the Zelda 2 lifebar.

Screenshot TLeveled 2.png

EDIT: Here's another three I took after seeing Alaron's screenshots of his endgame character. Used the Sun/Moon lifebar here.

Screenshot TLeveled 3.png

Screenshot TLeveled 3.png

Screenshot TLeveled 4.png

Last edited:
Hey,i got a problem,in the server i make by hosting and play,i play with my friend but when i run and i shoot a demon with my undertaker, my game crash,i don't know why ill send you an error log whe i found it

EDIT:here it is
System.InvalidOperationException: Cannot call Present when a render target is active.
à Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics.GraphicsDevice.Present(tagRECT* pSource, tagRECT* pDest, HWND__* hOverride)
à Microsoft.Xna.Framework.GraphicsDeviceManager.Microsoft.Xna.Framework.IGraphicsDeviceManager.EndDraw()
à Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.EndDraw()
à Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.DrawFrame()
à Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.Tick()
à Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.HostIdle(Object sender, EventArgs e)
à Microsoft.Xna.Framework.GameHost.OnIdle()
à Microsoft.Xna.Framework.WindowsGameHost.RunOneFrame()
à Microsoft.Xna.Framework.WindowsGameHost.ApplicationIdle(Object sender, EventArgs e)
à System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponent.FDoIdle(Int32 grfidlef)
à System.Windows.Forms.Application.ComponentManager.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponentManager.FPushMessageLoop(IntPtr dwComponentID, Int32 reason, Int32 pvLoopData)
à System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoopInner(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
à System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoop(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
à System.Windows.Forms.Application.Run(Form mainForm)
à Microsoft.Xna.Framework.WindowsGameHost.Run()
à Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.RunGame(Boolean useBlockingRun)
à Terraria.Program.LaunchGame(String[] args)
EDIT2: i crashed again by shooting a meteor head now :/

Last edited:
Hi guys,

Anyone have a clockwork assault rifle that they could test? The reason I'm asking is because for me it's messed up and completely OP, seems that the timer between burst is broken and it is just constantly spamming the bursts, it's (Zealous) doing double the dps of the Phoenix Blaster (Unreal). Single player.

Hi guys,

Anyone have a clockwork assault rifle that they could test? The reason I'm asking is because for me it's messed up and completely OP, seems that the timer between burst is broken and it is just constantly spamming the bursts, it's (Zealous) doing double the dps of the Phoenix Blaster (Unreal). Single player.
Of course we had to skip past that after killing WoF once, way to let our assumption go past us. The reason why it doesn't shoot faster is because it's tied to the 3-bullet function, but I definitely know it's not working as intended.

I've forwarded the issue to him, but I may have worded it poorly since I woke up and all.

Hi guys,

tPHJlkw.png

Ok ummm ...WOW ...i have tested this weapon prior to me seeing this message and wow..there's a constant Stream of fire which is not what this weapon is surpose to do. Thanks for Reporting this and we will see what we can do.

I also Tested it on other prefixes and it does the same thing. not just on Zealous.

Last edited:
Yeah. Clockwork Assault Rifle is OP. Pretty much an early game Mega Shark without the mega shark part. XD Anyways, as far as my own progress goes in the game, I just got past the last mechanical boss and am working towards building up my HP with Life fruit. And despite the CWAR bug going on, I haven't found anything other bugs at this current moment. :)

I'll look in to this later. Kind of strange how clockwork is the only one affected.
Do you have ranged speed abilities enabled? Maybe that could be related.

Oh geeze... So I found the problem with the clockwork. It was some code I forgot to remove when I was trying to figure out how to add ranged/magic speed.

Just updated it to 11.0.3. It should be fixed now.

Hey,i got a problem,in the server i make by hosting and play,i play with my friend but when i run and i shoot a demon with my undertaker, my game crash,i don't know why ill send you an error log whe i found it

EDIT:here it is
System.InvalidOperationException: Cannot call Present when a render target is active.
à Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics.GraphicsDevice.Present(tagRECT* pSource, tagRECT* pDest, HWND__* hOverride)
à Microsoft.Xna.Framework.GraphicsDeviceManager.Microsoft.Xna.Framework.IGraphicsDeviceManager.EndDraw()
à Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.EndDraw()
à Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.DrawFrame()
à Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.Tick()
à Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.HostIdle(Object sender, EventArgs e)
à Microsoft.Xna.Framework.GameHost.OnIdle()
à Microsoft.Xna.Framework.WindowsGameHost.RunOneFrame()
à Microsoft.Xna.Framework.WindowsGameHost.ApplicationIdle(Object sender, EventArgs e)
à System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponent.FDoIdle(Int32 grfidlef)
à System.Windows.Forms.Application.ComponentManager.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponentManager.FPushMessageLoop(IntPtr dwComponentID, Int32 reason, Int32 pvLoopData)
à System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoopInner(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
à System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoop(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
à System.Windows.Forms.Application.Run(Form mainForm)
à Microsoft.Xna.Framework.WindowsGameHost.Run()
à Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.RunGame(Boolean useBlockingRun)
à Terraria.Program.LaunchGame(String[] args)
EDIT2: i crashed again by shooting a meteor head now :/

What are your system specs? Because this is the first time I have EVER seen this error before.

Last edited:
The Well Fed buff doesn't seem to be providing the minor improvement to regeneration with HP regen off. Is the healing buff so tiny that it just won't work? I carry campfires with me, so it isn't an issue. Just something I noticed and wanted to ask about before I forgot. I want to stress that last bit; everything is fine, I'm just asking.

...Why do I have an extra heart's worth of max HP? It shows up as 4 white-glowing hearts in the default health style...

Just reached Level 40, been putting points into aptitude mainly and fortitude secondly.

EDIT: Oh, it's the Max HP+ ability.

Back
Top Bottom