3DS 3DS KNOWN ISSUES

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recently I have seen a handful of bugs relating to the Horseman's Blade I'd like to put out there:

The Horseman's Blade, as you all should know, creates homing pumpkins to attack enemies. Well I have the feeling their AI (not entirely sure if the AI is what I mean here) might be somewhat messed up. I've had several occasions now where the Queen Bee would randomly spawn while I was swinging the Blade in the Dungeon. The reason I'm blaming this on the pumpkins is because I believe they might somehow be winding up in the Underground Jungle, as this only happens in new worlds I make where I have not touched the Jungle, so they may possibly be smashing the larva in the bee hives.

This next bug is actually described better in picture than in words.
WVW69jjZWCISvyYtOT

As you can see, when I'm riding in a minecart slope, up or down, overhead-swinging weapons do this weird thing. I only found this happening with Dragon Armor equipped, so I think it's caused by the after-effect the armor set has.

In regards to the whole trying to figure out the crashes thing, I have no personal input. I wish I could help, however, because it truly pains me to see others still not enjoying the 3DS version right now because of these darned stability problems. And it doesn't help that we can't track down a potential cause, so who knows how long this will continue to go on for.:sigh:

Deanzor reads this thread regularly - I don't really have to tell them like I sometimes do elsewhere, because he is so interactive...he knows what you guys desire, etc. :)
Thx for telling us. I
I'm afraid you're confusing storage with RAM here. The SD card is a storage medium, not RAM memory. The 3DS has a fixed 128MB RAM, the New 3DS has a 256MB RAM, so RAM related issues SHOULD be less common in players owning the N3DS.

Concerning the SD card, though, perhaps the game could, in theory, access the SD card overfrequently, resulting in a crash quit to home.

That being said, I have seen reports of those with 2GB SD cards experiencing very little problems, whilst I use an aforementioned 32 gigs SD card on my (supposedly faster) N3DS and experience crashes every now and again.
I recently got a New 3DSXL, and a 32gb sd card. I experienced a couple of crashes when an important event was about to happen(boss fight, farming, etc.) Then, they stopped, and haven't been happening for a looooong time. Is it luck?

I respect your opinion, it's a very reasonable and rational one. I would like to respectfully disagree.

Every single game, especially within the 3DS family, has at least a handful of bugs and issues, on every single update version. There is clearly something wrong with the game's code and most likely the people's 3DS. Since some people have the crashing really bad, and some people seem to never have it, it would be reasonable to assume that this issue is a combination of the two factors stated above.

This variability is precisely the reason of why it is so hard to replicate and troubleshoot the crashing issue, and said crashing issue is definitely a combination of a few major bugs and issues. This makes it even harder for the devs to pinpoint an issue.

So while they (the devs) are working to fix this major issue, us, the clients, must come up with some things to take note of that may at the very least postpone a potential system crash. This isn't magical thinking, this is the core idea of troubleshooting. It is what people have to do when there's an issue with any video game that they want to actively play.

For this I thank you, I believe mutual respect is the keystone of any form of constructive dialogue.

That being said, I must respectfully both agree *and* disagree with your opinion. I will, of course, elaborate.

I'm most likely not alone in this, but I'm a gamer from among the first hours of gaming. I'm talking Amiga 500, DOS, NES, and the original Game Boy. I agree with you that most, if not every, game has bugs. What makes Terraria different, in my opinion, is the following:

It's obviously reasonable to classify bugs in *any* game by severity and frequency. Some bugs are not noticable at all for end users, and mainly affect technical stuff like memory allocation or sprites. Some bugs are noticable, but are not to be considered gamebreaking. Then, there are the malevolent bugs that you don't want to run in to. They can corrupt savegames, freeze the game, or otherwise make your gaming experience miserable.

Anyone who played Pokémon Red/Blue on the original Game Boy will remember the glitch called Missingno. It was a graphical- and memory glitch that caused a weird, nonexistent Pokémon to appear. Not only was it not gamebreaking, it was even actively exploited to duplicate items, and catch the illusive mew. Even more, it wasn't a glitch you would "randomly run in to", no, you had to follow a *very* specific set of instructions to even be able to encounter it.

Same goes for, say, Etrian Odyssey Untold : The Milennium Girl for 3DS. There is a small glitch that allows you to create so-called grimoire stones with a higher amount of skillpoints than should actually be possible. Purely an exploit, it was never fixed, but definitely not gamebreaking, and definitely easy to avoid.

I've also played almost all Harvest Moon games, and their Rune Factory spinoffs. Rune Factory 4 had a notorious gamebreaking bug that would sometimes manifest itself during the ending credits after the final boss fight. It would cause the entire game to freeze up, and forced you to restart the game, and thus, restart the boss fight. For example, it took me three times to finally "beat the game". Still, it only occurred during that specific cutscene, and all the gameplay outside of that boss fight, or *after* it, after you've cleared the game, was clean of any annoying bugs. The boss fight being rather easy, this bug could be considered an inconvenience at most, and a minor one at that.

One of my favourite adventure franchises has to be the Zero Escape series. The second installment had a potentially gamebreaking bug, which would corrupt your savegame if you saved in a specific room. I never encountered the bug, but there were a lot of people who did, and they would have to replay the entire game up until that point, to be able to clear the game. All the while avoiding said room. The developers made an official statement regarding to said bug, so after a while, most people were aware of it, and it became trivial to avoid the notorious "Decompression Room Bug". Still, the bug was, as far as I know, never fixed, and if someone was not aware of it's existence, would definitely be able to make someone's experience miserable.

Now, we'll get to Terraria. This game has some bugs, some of them minor (hammering bricks to make slopes indeed doesn't seem to last after saving, quitting, and reloading), but some of them quite serious. At this moment, I can play about 45 minutes on average before receiving an error message and being force-quit into the home screen. Now, this is annoying, but would be tolerable if this bug was rare, or hard to run in to. If I had to fulfill a very specific set of prerequisites for the bug to rear it's ugly head, I would be able to avoid it, easily. The opposite, unfortunately, seems to be the case. The first time I encountered the bug, was when I just started the game for the very first time, and was in less than 10 minutes upon starting a new character and creating a new world. I was just walking around the map, basic equipment, nothing special whatsoever going on.

As I've stated before, I am, besides a 3DS gamer, also a PC gamer, and this is where my love for Terraria originated. Therefor, I know that these bugs *WILL* be fixed in due time, and I'm no stranger to "work in progress". Also therefor, for me, personally, I find the bug annoying, but I will either play Terraria every once and again on the 3DS, or play something else for a while when I get fed up.

For the general public, however, (EDIT: people that bought a game to play and enjoy it, rather than "troubleshoot" their purchase) I can *very* well imagine €20 for a game that has a bug of this severity and this frequency feels unacceptable, and the argument "every game has bugs" won't do.

Just my two cents though, here's hoping it will be in the past after coming update(s) :)

Last edited:
Thx for telling us. I

I recently got a New 3DSXL, and a 32gb sd card. I experienced a couple of crashes when an important event was about to happen(boss fight, farming, etc.) Then, they stopped, and haven't been happening for a looooong time. Is it luck?

you're probably very lucky, I've had the New 3DS since I started playing and it has crashed many times. sometimes I can go a day with no crashes, other days it crashes every hour or so. even with a 64GB Samsung micro SD card.

I'm afraid you're confusing storage with RAM here. The SD card is a storage medium, not RAM memory. The 3DS has a fixed 128MB RAM, the New 3DS has a 256MB RAM, so RAM related issues SHOULD be less common in players owning the N3DS.

Concerning the SD card, though, perhaps the game could, in theory, access the SD card overfrequently, resulting in a crash quit to home.

That being said, I have seen reports of those with 2GB SD cards experiencing very little problems, whilst I use an aforementioned 32 gigs SD card on my (supposedly faster) N3DS and experience crashes every now and again.
MY BROTHER HAS LIED TO ME!!!!!!

For this I thank you, I believe mutual respect is the keystone of any form of constructive dialogue.
Thank you. I share the belief that, especially in constructive dialogues with toxic potential, mutual respect should always be reached.

Now, we'll get to Terraria. This game has some bugs, some of them minor (hammering bricks to make slopes indeed doesn't seem to last after saving, quitting, and reloading), but some of them quite serious. At this moment, I can play about 45 minutes on average before receiving an error message and being force-quit into the home screen. Now, this is annoying, but would be tolerable if this bug was rare, or hard to run in to. If I had to fulfill a very specific set of prerequisites for the bug to rear it's ugly head, I would be able to avoid it, easily. The opposite, unfortunately, seems to be the case. The first time I encountered the bug, was when I just started the game for the very first time, and was in less than 10 minutes upon starting a new character and creating a new world. I was just walking around the map, basic equipment, nothing special whatsoever going on.
This is another good point that should not be missed, and I'm gonna do my best to justify it.
I don't want this amazing thread to be filled with back-and-forth disagreements (no matter how civilized and reasonable they may be), so I'm going to try and cover as much as I can without awakening the dreaded Wall of Text or drowning out others' posts and replies here.

So to make this comparison, we're going to have to go back to the birth of a most legendary Nintendo franchise - Metroid. While I won't get into the details, it was essentially a non-typical (for its time) action-adventure game. I highly recommend the series, while we're on that topic.

Metroid was an abnormally large game compared to others made for the NES, and as a result wasn't exactly the most stable game in the NES family. It was susceptible to many errors and abnormalities if players decided to sequence break, or stress the game in normal gameplay, such as freezing and sidescrolling errors.

Comparing Terraria to the original Metroid game would be absolutely ludicrous. But Terraria is a considerably large game (albeit much larger games exist; insert SSB4 here) that takes massive resources to play, especially in multiplayer (which someone else mentioned here, kudos to them btw). On top of the RAM it could potentially be using, the ability to go onto other applications such as the Internet browser and Miiverse only increases the resources required for this game to run and be handled by the system. This can be seen by how quickly the game drains battery power when on multiple applications at once.

For one reason or another, the game crashes on some systems much more than others. Up to this point, that fact seems to be puzzling the developers. It cannot be missed that this issue cannot be blamed solely on the game code, but also in some factor of the user's 3DS (otherwise we would all be experiencing the crashes in similar counts).
In all of this, I absolutely hate to see others not enjoy such an experience of a game due to such a silly issue. I definitely hope this issue gets fixed soon. The devs have earned my permanent respect and I support them for all the work they have done and continue to do.

That's all for now from me.

But when you say terraria is a game which need much ram and it's Hard to solve for the 3ds...
Why did they bring it out for 3ds???
And why they created a multiplayer???

That all Sounds Not logic...

If i would have a xbox 360, i would not buy a xbox one game for it!

If they are Not able to fix the crash issue, the should give all of us (with that Problem) the money back.
(but i hope they'll fix it qickly) ^^

We should sacrifice him/drop him into lava for our one and only Overlord "Wall of Flesh"
He probably tried to explain it to the best of his ability, and there is no shame in not knowing something!
We all learn by being sure of one thing until being explained another, this still holds true for me as well ;)
WOW! I'm trending already! Mom do you love now? *hears a load "NO"* Darn it.;(

I heard somewhere Terraria for 3DS was rushed for Christmas sales, but I don't think that's true.
It's definitely not true. It's already been made clear, with every version of Terraria, that the playerbase is always going to find issues that the developers don't. Trying to fix everything before release is hopeless. They had finished what they needed to at that point, there's no sense in delaying a game's release for the sole purpose of having it come out when its original decided release date was. "When it's done" has always been Terraria's release policy.

It's definitely not true. It's already been made clear, with every version of Terraria, that the playerbase is always going to find issues that the developers don't. Trying to fix everything before release is hopeless. They had finished what they needed to at that point, there's no sense in delaying a game's release for the sole purpose of having it come out when its original decided release date was. "When it's done" has always been Terraria's release policy.
I agree. I believe they should do what they can to make the game playable before release, even if it meant delaying its release. But I do believe the 3DS and Wii U versions were previously set to launch in February, but we got a surprise early 3DS release. I think that might be what Midnight is implying there.

I got it on mey and now the August is nearly over...
And I dont know the game without crashes...
That's not ok :(

I want to puke in a circle for that sh*t ^^

They have to bring all their recources together and solve the f***Ing issue.

Thats Not a bug or a glitch what is annoying... This is KILLING a really great game with a giant Potential.

And THEN it's time for more Content n Stuff

Thank you. I share the belief that, especially in constructive dialogues with toxic potential, mutual respect should always be reached.

This is another good point that should not be missed, and I'm gonna do my best to justify it.
I don't want this amazing thread to be filled with back-and-forth disagreements (no matter how civilized and reasonable they may be), so I'm going to try and cover as much as I can without awakening the dreaded Wall of Text or drowning out others' posts and replies here.

So to make this comparison, we're going to have to go back to the birth of a most legendary Nintendo franchise - Metroid. While I won't get into the details, it was essentially a non-typical (for its time) action-adventure game. I highly recommend the series, while we're on that topic.

Metroid was an abnormally large game compared to others made for the NES, and as a result wasn't exactly the most stable game in the NES family. It was susceptible to many errors and abnormalities if players decided to sequence break, or stress the game in normal gameplay, such as freezing and sidescrolling errors.

Comparing Terraria to the original Metroid game would be absolutely ludicrous. But Terraria is a considerably large game (albeit much larger games exist; insert SSB4 here) that takes massive resources to play, especially in multiplayer (which someone else mentioned here, kudos to them btw). On top of the RAM it could potentially be using, the ability to go onto other applications such as the Internet browser and Miiverse only increases the resources required for this game to run and be handled by the system. This can be seen by how quickly the game drains battery power when on multiple applications at once.

For one reason or another, the game crashes on some systems much more than others. Up to this point, that fact seems to be puzzling the developers. It cannot be missed that this issue cannot be blamed solely on the game code, but also in some factor of the user's 3DS (otherwise we would all be experiencing the crashes in similar counts).
In all of this, I absolutely hate to see others not enjoy such an experience of a game due to such a silly issue. I definitely hope this issue gets fixed soon. The devs have earned my permanent respect and I support them for all the work they have done and continue to do.

That's all for now from me.

I agree for the most part except that I don't think it's possible that the crashes are caused by the hardware, simply because no other 3DS game does this. surely if it was a hardware problem other games would be affected by it, and they're not. Terraria may be a very different and demanding game but it's not the only one on the 3DS. the issue also affects New 3DS users which have double the processing power and RAM.

unless I'm missing something, I think we can rule out hardware issues.

I agree for the most part except that I don't think it's possible that the crashes are caused by the hardware, simply because no other 3DS game does this. surely if it was a hardware problem other games would be affected by it, and they're not. Terraria may be a very different and demanding game but it's not the only one on the 3DS. the issue also affects New 3DS users which have double the processing power and RAM.

unless I'm missing something, I think we can rule out hardware issues.
Well there's a lot of other 3ds games that have online multiplayer and don't crash at all, so clearly it's not a hardware issue so it has to be an issue with the game code or with SD cards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom