Items a Grand Design for hammering

Zyraphim

The Destroyer

We all know how the Grand Design works. You right-click to choose the colour of wire, and draw a line instead of having to place each wire manually.

A Grand Design for hammering blocks would be a fantastic addition. You right-click to choose the block shape, and draw a line instead of having to hammer each block manually. This will be very useful for things like building long hoik chains. This "Grand Hammerer" (name in progress) won't break walls since it's already incredibly annoying when a the wall breaks behind a block I'm trying to hammer.

I'm already aware that many other people proposed the idea of having a right-click menu for normal hammers and that Red relegated the idea to Terraria 2, but I ask him to consider implementing it for this "Grand Hammerer" since he only needs to create one new item instead of reworking every hammer in the game.

I just want to easily make hoiks without spending 15 minutes on hammering or pulling up TEdit ok

Last edited:
Creating the UI for the Grand Design was a logistical nightmare, or so I hear. I can't really speak for the devs, but I don't imagine they want to do it again.

Creating the UI for the Grand Design was a logistical nightmare, or so I hear. I can't really speak for the devs, but I don't imagine they want to do it again.

Understandable, but they already have the code and the UI figured out. The Grand Design might've been a nightmare because it has a lot of features. It needs to be able to place multiple wire colours at the same time. It needs to consume wires and actuators and take it out of your inventory. It needs a second mode for cutting wires.

The Grand Hammerer doesn't need to do any of that. Hell, it doesn't even need to break walls. All it needs to do is change the block shape. The UI wouldn't be very difficult either. Instead of doing this, which involves adding a 6th button which I understand would be a hassle to add, they can recycle the OG Grand Design UI and replace the placing/cutting toggle in the middle with the full block option.

Last edited:
I've been begging them to do this for years (the second one is better):

If grand design UI was difficult to create (however if they already did it, it is supposed to be much easier to just reproduce it again(?)), then current hammer slope mode could be switched through hotkey when hammer is held and the game would simply show an icon of a sloped block which represent current state.

I think if they added something like this, it would be called: The Autohammer-er-er-er
Flavor text: Ham Ham Ham Ham Ham Ham

But seriously, i'd love to have an item like this for massive builds. Would be great if it had settings to only hammer blocks in contact with 'air' that way you could speed make staircases/ramp with it

Edit Addendum:
I thought about the UI concern from a dev perspective. I think creating such an item UI would be simple but only for PC. Something we must remember is that: 1: UI work can be hell with certain Engines, and 2: They have to update the UI across all platforms and that is not so simple. Getting all UI to work properly on PC is fine, but getting it to work on ports to say: a phone or tablet: a Nightmare task for a lot of Devs. My work doesn't involve UI, so the exacts escape me; I know it would be no easy task. I'm sure they are already scratching their heads over that summons icon Red talked about while ago.

Last edited:
Edit Addendum:
I thought about the UI concern from a dev perspective. I think creating such an item UI would be simple but only for PC. Something we must remember is that: 1: UI work can be hell with certain Engines, and 2: They have to update the UI across all platforms and that is not so simple. Getting all UI to work properly on PC is fine, but getting it to work on ports to say: a phone or tablet: a Nightmare task for a lot of Devs. My work doesn't involve UI, so the exacts escape me; I know it would be no easy task. I'm sure they are already scratching their heads over that summons icon Red talked about while ago.

Like I said before, they already figured out how to do it. Don't get me wrong; I know programming can be a pain, and I don't want to suggest something that will make the devs' lives hell. But they can simply recycle the work that has already been done.

The Grand Hammerer doesn't need to do any of that. Hell, it doesn't even need to break walls. All it needs to do is change the block shape. The UI wouldn't be very difficult either. Instead of doing this, which involves adding a 6th button which I understand would be a hassle to add, they can recycle the OG Grand Design UI and replace the placing/cutting toggle in the middle with the full block option.

In addition to the points I made above, Re-Logic first had to figure out how they wanted the Grand Design UI to look and function on every platform which would be another contributing factor in making the development process so difficult. But just like I said before, they don't have to do any of that.

Back
Top Bottom