Other A New class - Monster tamer

Do you like this idea ?

• Total voters

Dexterdude

Eye of Cthulhu
THE MONSTER TAMER

The Monster tamer (or just tamer) could be a class that will allow you to take control of the monsters using mana per second ! The items that will be used for taming monsters could be called taming staff (s) . Each staff will be able to take control of some monsters and each monster will need a different amount of mana per second . You won't be able to take control of all the monsters and you won't be able to take control of bosses . For example you have a taming staff in your hand and you encounter a slime , when the cursor is on the slime it says it needs 4 mana . You use the mana and wherever the cursor is going the slime will follow it and it will hit other monsters and players ! By saying mana per second i mean that for each second you control a monster it will consume you an amount of mana . I know , this class sound a bit like the summoner. I am trying to make it different .

Anyway , the first taming staff will be called Zombie taming staff, it will need these stuff to be crafted :
12 wood (any kind of wood ) , a mana crystal and a zombie arm . It will tame one zombie when you click it (it will only tame zombies , one at a time). It will use 2 mana per second you control the zombie . It will hit zombies too ! When the monster you control attacks other monsters , the other monsters will try to kill the monster you control . You can only control one monster .

CONTROLS
If you move the cursor to the left the monster goes to the left , the monster's movement speed stays the same , if you move the cursor to the right , the monster goes to the right . If you move the cursor up , when the monster gets underneath the cursor , it will start jumping , if you move the cursor underneath the monster , the monster will fall through platforms (if the monster is standing on platforms ). That means that you can move your player while you control a monster . Also the controls for flying monsters are the same just simpler , wherever the cursor is going the monster will follow .

Also , you will be able to take the monsters point of view , well not exactly , you will be able to go off-playerscreen by pressing a button (you guys tell me which button from the keyboard should it be ) . This will allow the monster you control to move further , away from the player's point of view . This will change the controls of the monster to the ones that the player has , the negative of this is that the player won't be able to move ... You will see the life of the monster in the place where the player's life was while doing that , you will also see the player's mana . You will get a warning if another monster is near the player , you will be able to see where your player is with the same way as you see players from your team in the console version (you see a player head coming from the direction the player is and it gets bigger as you get closer ) .

Let's say you control a fire imp , when you press the right click , the fire imp teleports where the cursor was the moment you pressed it , when you press the left click , the fire imp will start shooting burning spheres (every monster will have a timer for the rate it can use it's ranged or whatever kind of attack ) to the direction the cursor is .

BOOSTS AND AVERAGE DEFENCE
Monster tamer should be somewhere in the middle of melee and ranged in average armor defences . It should have more defence than summoner because of the mana per second , the fact that monsters die and minions don't die . Some boosts that the monster tamer armors and accesories could give can be these :
  • + monster damage
  • + monster speed
  • + monster defence
  • + monster knockback
  • - mana cost
  • - chance for enemies to target you (the player)
  • + monster critical hit ratio .
  • Read the idea below for some MORE possible boosts !

JUST A NEW IDEA
This is an idea about making this class a bit more usefull on pvp ( AND PVE ) , maybe these effects should be gained from accesories or armor set bonuses or something like that , when your monster hits another player's minion (remember YOU control the monster , if YOU target the minion with a monster !) :
  • The other player's minion gets paralyzed for some seconds .
  • The minion disappears (the other player can re-summon it) .
  • You take control of his/her minion , only one minion steal allowed (not sure about this one)
  • Your monster gets some buffs for each minion you hit (maybe not only minions , enemies and players too ! ) .
  • SOME of these effects may not stack together , also some sound less usefull and some sound too good compared to the others because they will be available as further you get in the game , they have to do with progression too .
  • If some effects stuck together , one way they could work can be this : for example you have an accesory which gives you 33% chance to paralyze the other player's minions each time you hit them but maybe you can have at the same time another accesory which gives you 20% to take control of the other player's minions each time you hit them .
  • You ask a reason why all these have to do with the summoner ? Well because minions will try to kill your monster so you need a way to defend !

Last edited:
Considering summoner still feels half baked, that's not really a good start. And this needs way too much details to even consider right now. Armor,, accessories, stats, progressions.
Nobody said it was gonna be easy to add . Dream your dream , it might become true someday .

Last edited:
Instead of posting extra information here, please just edit it into your post. And no thanks to this suggestion. Summoner is nearly the exact same thing.

Unless it's actually fun and doesn't feel like a cheap summoner rip off, sure. But I don't see how that argument works in your favor. Controlling weak mobs(the best you can get is probably a demon in PHM - good luck dragging that to the surface) to fight bosses, all the while your mana drains continuously. Doesn't sound like a viable combat option, does it? It will certainly remove the option of using magic weapons alongside. And even summoner does not have that disadvantage.

Last edited:
Unless it's actually fun and doesn't feel like a cheap summoner rip off, sure. But I don't see how that argument works in your favor. Controlling weak mobs(the best you can get is probably a demon in PHM - good luck dragging that to the surface) to to fight bosses, all the while your mana drains continuously. Doesn't sound like a viable combat option, does it? It will certainly remove the option of using magic weapons alongside. And even summoner does not have that disadvantage.
How about a devourer that will fight against the eye of cthulhu ? It would be fun and seems useful ! The accesories that reduce mana cost could come handy . But maybe you are right , i suppose i must think about the mana consumption . I will try to make it not look like the summoner .

The main issue isn't mana anyway. The fact is, the only difference between this and summoner is that one spawns a minion out of thin air, and the other grabs a mob by the collar. The major point is that they both will have the players rely on the AI of these monsters. No difference in mechanics at all at that point. It's gonna feel bland and uninspired. You will need something else to differentiate them in battle mechanics at least.

The main issue isn't mana anyway. The fact is, the only difference between this and summoner is that one spawns a minion out of thin air, and the other grabs a mob by the collar. The major point is that they both will have the players rely on the AI of these monsters. No difference in mechanics at all at that point. It's gonna feel bland and uninspired. You will need something else to differentiate them in battle mechanics at least.
Well you will CONTROL the monsters (you will move them anywhere , if they can move) , they will attack other players , if another player spends more mana and has the same item he will be able to take control of your monster . ( I am thinking about more of this right now , also if anyone has an idea , just say it !) IDEA , when you control a monster you will be able to see from the monster's point of view and you will be able to go offscreen from the player , you will get a warning when a monster is near your player ! Whenever you set the monster free or run out of mana, the monster will have a questionmark above its head (like the one from the brain of confusion) for about 3 seconds before it starts attacking the player again .

Last edited:
Wouldn't it be fun if two players picked one monster each and tried to kill each other's monster , USING THE MONSTERS ? Kinda like pokemon .

Last edited:
If controlling bosses is possible, no. Dayletron Prime will rekt almost everything.
I said it won't be possible to control bosses ! I meant spawning skeletron normally and then taming a wyvern to make it fight with skeletron .

Last edited:
I said it won't be possible to control bosses ! I meant spawning skeletron normally .
You mentioned Skeletron, so I thought you can..... Isn't Wyvern also a mini-boss?
Seems hard to add. What is your character doing if you're controlling a mob? Standing still?
Draining your mana per sec when controlling stuffs sucks, since the way I understand it, better mobs = more mana, and you'll barely control a better mob for a while unless you use a mana flower. Sure, fun, but "NOOO MANA WHY YOU HAVE TO RUN OUT NOW??" sucks.

You mentioned Skeletron, so I thought you can..... Isn't Wyvern also a mini-boss?
Seems hard to add. What is your character doing if you're controlling a mob? Standing still?
Draining your mana per sec when controlling stuffs sucks, since the way I understand it, better mobs = more mana, and you'll barely control a better mob for a while unless you use a mana flower. Sure, fun, but "NOOO MANA WHY YOU HAVE TO RUN OUT NOW??" sucks.
Wait ! When you control something you can move unless you choose to take the monster's point of view , I thought that the mana per second shouldn't be much so it can be balanced around with the other classes , so yeah i suppose it should be about 5 mana per second for a wyvern , you can call it a miniboss if you want to but i never did (just saying ) http://terraria.wiki.gg/Wyvern . Also the more far you get to the game , the better taming staffs you will get , which will make taming some monsters cheaper !

Last edited:
But you can't Mage + Tamer at the same time though.
Some more stuffs:
-Example Armor bonuses for this class?
-Avarage defense? (lower than a class but higher than another class stuff)
Currently this seems like adding a mini-summoner type, so I'll give you a meh for now.

Hey I got an idea drom your idea! How about rather than controlling a (hard to find monster and possibly wait for rng forever) you could summon a controllable minion (that does summon damage, ofc). It would still drain mana per sec (but now we'd buff the mana debuff to decrease all damage types).

Hey I got an idea drom your idea! How about rather than controlling a (hard to find monster and possibly wait for rng forever) you could summon a controllable minion (that does summon damage, ofc). It would still drain mana per sec (but now we'd buff the mana debuff to decrease all damage types).
You mean like the minecraft spawn eggs ?

Back
Top Bottom