Weapons & Equip A replacement idea for Brain Of Confusion.

EpicGamerNik

Terrarian
Hello gamers, so I know the brain of confusion is never used, yet the worm scarf gets praise for being useful up to endgame. Another issue is pre-hardmode summoners having a hard time. I thought I would make a suggestion that can help both of these issues.

Now, before i get into the details, I'd like to say that this started out as a small idea I kept to myself, but I shared the idea on the Discord server and it received very positive comments.

I proudly present to you all, the Brain of Control. A summoner based accessory from the Brain of Cthulhu.

Attacking an enemy will have a 10% chance to inflict a debuff called "Controlled" for 30 seconds. this debuff will make the inflicted enemy act as your minion for the time it is controlled, and the enemies would deal summon damage, so they would be boosted by summoner gear.

Sounds pretty good right?
A little too powerful though, so this item will have its limits.

The list of enemies will be a bit small, but the item will still be useful in most areas. The main restrictions are with powerful enemies, bosses, or enemies that appear on the lifeform analyzer.

In addition, you can only control 3 enemies at a time, or 5 enemies in hardmode.

Considering how good the worm scarf is, it would make sense to balance out the pre hardmode crimson with the pre hardmode corruption.

I feel the item also fits in with the lore, considering that the Crimson is a hive mind and a single being, so having enemies fight for you would make sense.

Let me know what you think, or if you have any criticism to give.

edit: pre hardmode enemies no longer count towards the cap once you enter hardmode

Last edited:
Absolutely amazing. However, most enemies in the game that aren't strong would be a useless minion spite being classified as weak, however it may not affect the enemy at all. As they may deal low damage, they usually have high health, so the effect may not be useful as it could take a while to kill an enemy. If you were to maybe buff the enemy under the effect, that would be useful.

Absolutely amazing. However, most enemies in the game that aren't strong would be a useless minion spite being classified as weak, however it may not affect the enemy at all. As they may deal low damage, they usually have high health, so the effect may not be useful as it could take a while to kill an enemy. If you were to maybe buff the enemy under the effect, that would be useful.
as i said, it would be buffed by summoner equipment, but i suppose it could be buffed some more.
maybe i could make it so that the pre hardmode enemies dont count towards the cap once you enter hardmode.

as i said, it would be buffed by summoner equipment, but i suppose it could be buffed some more.
maybe i could make it so that the pre hardmode enemies dont count towards the cap once you enter hardmode.
That's a smart idea, but most of the time the only pre-hardmode enemies you'll see are zombies, bees, and angry tumblers. And a few more, although they don't summon often.
By the way, I think that the debuff should deal 1 or 2 damage per tick, since when it's done it'll be back to being your enemy. If you haven't already thought of this, the debuff should allow the enemies to not be damaged by player weapons except the summons and debuff. If that doesn't overcomplicate things

As fitting and cool as the idea is, you can't just mess with enemy AIs like this. Currently everything that tries to mess with the way enemies move turns out being either limited to mostly the normal walkers or being glitchy and unusable against most things. It's the reason Stardust Guardian and Confused are so bad.

I should also point out that even if the idea could be implemented without issues, this is a 10% chance to instakill any enemy and give you a temporary minion that is also decently strong for the area you are in, which is pretty broken especially on a Pillar.

what about combing the brain of confusion and worm scarf to make corrupt brain
corrupted_brain.png

That's a smart idea, but most of the time the only pre-hardmode enemies you'll see are zombies, bees, and angry tumblers. And a few more, although they don't summon often.
By the way, I think that the debuff should deal 1 or 2 damage per tick, since when it's done it'll be back to being your enemy. If you haven't already thought of this, the debuff should allow the enemies to not be damaged by player weapons except the summons and debuff. If that doesn't overcomplicate things
i think you mean damage per second, but that also sounds good, although i dont see a good reason to implement it. it just kind of seems like it would be over-doing it by making it do damage too. a small change like that wont matter.

As fitting and cool as the idea is, you can't just mess with enemy AIs like this. Currently everything that tries to mess with the way enemies move turns out being either limited to mostly the normal walkers or being glitchy and unusable against most things. It's the reason Stardust Guardian and Confused are so bad.

I should also point out that even if the idea could be implemented without issues, this is a 10% chance to instakill any enemy and give you a temporary minion that is also decently strong for the area you are in, which is pretty broken especially on a Pillar.
it doesnt insta kill.

edit: also, as i said, certain enemies wil be immune to the debuff

it doesnt insta kill.

It might as well be an instakill. If the enemy stops fighting you then it's basically not a threat to you anymore, and by the time the 30 seconds pass you've probably killed every non-controlled enemy so one enemy won't be a threat to you anymore.

edit: also, as i said, certain enemies wil be immune to the debuff

So it's basically Confused 2.0, where in theory it's broken but in reality it's bad because It's not able to affect any actually dangerous enemy in the game and it's just limited to walkers.

So it's basically Confused 2.0, where in theory it's broken but in reality it's bad because It's not able to affect any actually dangerous enemy in the game and it's just limited to walkers.
i never said that it was only walking enemies that got the debuff. what i meant by "certain enemies" was rare or very powerful enemies, such as wyverns. what determines whether or not you would be allowed to controll it is based on its rarity, how early on you encounter the enemy, how overpowered it would be, etc.

Back
Top Bottom