Items Adding Sigaretts

There was a suggestion to have a Candy Cane vanity that looks like it’s sticking out of the player’s mouth. Not the same, but the idea shared a common ancestor.

Last time this was brought up, it started a massive argument. Some people are vehemently anti-smoking, even in fantasy games, and some people don't care either way. I personally see no way that adding cigarettes would bring a tangible benefit to the game, unless they have some strange mechanic associated with them. I would be fine with the addition of cigarettes if and only if they are kept firmly in the novelty department. Maybe something like how they're handled in Enter the Gungeon: when you smoke cigarettes, it hurts you, and that's all they do. Anything more is going to be trouble.

And let's not pretend smoking is cool. Regardless of how you feel about the image one has when smoking, there's nothing cool about lung cancer.

Last time this was brought up, it started a massive argument. Some people are vehemently anti-smoking, even in fantasy games, and some people don't care either way. I personally see no way that adding cigarettes would bring a tangible benefit to the game, unless they have some strange mechanic associated with them. I would be fine with the addition of cigarettes if and only if they are kept firmly in the novelty department. Maybe something like how they're handled in Enter the Gungeon: when you smoke cigarettes, it hurts you, and that's all they do. Anything more is going to be trouble.

And let's not pretend smoking is cool. Regardless of how you feel about the image one has when smoking, there's nothing cool about lung cancer.
kinda funny how anti-smoking movements have made people really against cigarettes, but i don't think theres an equal reaction to ale. apparently alcoholism and liver failure aren't as bad as nicotine addiction and lung cancer?

as for the actual suggestion, i don't really care either way. i dont use ale in-game, unless maybe for building? i love placeable food items

Last edited:
kinda funny how anti-smoking movements have made people really against cigarettes, but i don't think theres an equal reaction to ale. apparently alcoholism and liver failure isn't as bad as nicotine addiciton and lung cancer?

as for the actual suggestion, i don't really care either way. i dont use ale in-game, unless maybe for building? i love placeable food items
When drinking ale in Terraria you get a debuff that makey you more aggressive (+10% damage) but you are more vulnerable (losing 4 defence). Similar concept in Calamity mod with drunk princess drinks: you can reach quickly negative health regeneration with that.

Unless cigarettes give you like the ability to breathe fire or something at the cost of damage to yourself, this aint worth it. I have an OC (who’s immortal) that uses a cigar as a gas mask. When you remove the addictiveness, there needs to be some actual benefit. I don’t see cigars/cigarettes doing that ingame.

Honestly I think smoking and drugs are an important part of making a believable world in a dark fantasy setting. The more horrible you make the world, the more the people in it will turn to substance abuse to keep themselves from depression and suicide and whatnot. When I came across Drudanae and the entire undertavern section of Driftwood in Divinity: Original Sin 2, the entire world felt so much more believable and alive. "Of course there's a secret lounge underneath the tavern where gangsters do drugs and fight each other for glory! That just makes sense for such a dangerous and grim world like this."

That said, Terraria is  not a Dark Fantasy world. It's a kid's game, and it's doing everything it can to be a whimsical, lighthearted romp through many different fantasy themes, and is so lacking in cohesion and consistency and (for me at least,) immersion that something like drugs and substance abuse would only confuse me; it wouldn't draw me in or make me think that this completely nonsensical world is more realistic.

Back
Top Bottom