Official Announcement regarding changes to conversations (private messages)

Everyone is a valued member. Doesn't matter if they've been here since the beginning or a week or if they've butted-heads with the staff. This change wasn't made to make people leave but to correct an issue.

If I'm to be blunt, that is one of the largest concerns and a main reason as to why we've done this. Many (though not all!) of the people unhappy with this change either don't like the public part of the forum or feel uncomfortable posting in it and whether this is due to "having too much of a good thing" with conversations and growing uncomfortable with the forum or if they've never liked it in the first is a hazards guess but one in the same problem. By introducing this limit we hope to at least push them in the right direction of forum usage.

Obviously some people who use the forum and conversations extensively have been hit in the crossfire with this, we apologise for that but it was unavoidable.
See this I actually agree with. I just believe the exact method used was what my disagreement stemmed from.

My last thing on this topic was definitely fueled by in the moment dislike, but after actually thinking about it, my issue is just the lack of warning so I couldn't archive conversations prior, and the 15,000 limit feeling arbitrary from my perspective (although I concede that if the numbers supported it being a good cut-off, fair enough). I'd ask if it's possible for the limit to change to 20k, but I suspect that number was tossed around and ultimately not chosen.

I do have to thank you on your patience with folks on this; I know if the positions were swapped I'd have given up by now.

See this I actually agree with. I just believe the exact method used was what my disagreement stemmed from.

My last thing on this topic was definitely fueled by in the moment dislike, but after actually thinking about it, my issue is just the lack of warning so I couldn't archive conversations prior, and the 15,000 limit feeling arbitrary from my perspective (although I concede that if the numbers supported it being a good cut-off, fair enough). I'd ask if it's possible for the limit to change to 20k, but I suspect that number was tossed around and ultimately not chosen.

I do have to thank you on your patience with folks on this; I know if the positions were swapped I'd have given up by now.
I completely understand the unrest with the sudden "tearing the band-aid off" but I think we could have expected the exact same level if we had given a week or more notice. The change was going to be made regardless and we figured that just getting it over and done with was kinder rather than giving users a false sense of "hope" that we might change our minds before the countdown

I appreciate you understanding our position. If you've any more questions or suggestions, fire away.

I get that people are being really stubborn about not wanting to change, but considering this happened without any warning, or any actual indication it was improper use that was going to result in either deleting it all or "Probation Restriction: Private Messaging" then it makes sense.
I mean imagine, for example, how TK would feel if out of nowhere there was a new rule saying you're not allowed to let personal prejudices influence moderation choices...

I get that people are being really stubborn about not wanting to change, but considering this happened without any warning, or any actual indication it was improper use that was going to result in either deleting it all or "Probation Restriction: Private Messaging" then it makes sense.
I mean imagine, for example, how TK would feel if out of nowhere there was a new rule saying you're not allowed to let personal prejudices influence moderation choices...
You're free to question this decision but it'd be nice if you not make accusations of other staff members and keep the thread on topic.
All of TKs actions have been supported by the team as a whole. He may seem to you like he's fueled by personal prejudice but I assure you if that was the case he wouldn't remain as a member of the staff. We discuss our actions regularly and often act only when a concensus has been made with the exception of matters that need to be handled swiftly - We still go back and discuss the action that was taken and make corrections if necessary.

If you've got further questions or concerns about staff do contact any of us and we can hopefully talk it out. But for now lets get back on track.

how TK would feel if out of nowhere there was a new rule saying you're not allowed to let personal prejudices influence moderation choices
If you truly think I've done something like this, please report it and other staff will review it and make an assessment if I've done something like this.

Otherwise, please don't make false statements about any staff member just because you're angry in the moment. Thanks.

You've just made me realise something.
These people are an even bigger problem now.
If someone is abusing the DM system then please report it to staff. This announcement has not changed the fact we're here to deal with that kind of behaviour.

fun fact about that
if people try to make a new convo with you when your limit is full it just deletes the convo on your end
That's not what makes them more of a problem now.
What does is their posts also counting towards their target's limit.

If someone is abusing the DM system then please report it to staff. This announcement has not changed the fact we're here to deal with that kind of behaviour.
I haven't had that problem, and now I literally cannot be targeted for it.

That's not what makes them more of a problem now.
What does is their posts also counting towards their target's limit.
I thought of that a while ago, but unless they somehow manage to make hundreds of separate convos with you before you find out and block them from messaging you or report them or something, it doesn't seem like a huge deal.

I completely understand the unrest with the sudden "tearing the band-aid off" but I think we could have expected the exact same level if we had given a week or more notice. The change was going to be made regardless and we figured that just getting it over and done with was kinder rather than giving users a false sense of "hope" that we might change our minds before the countdown

I appreciate you understanding our position. If you've any more questions or suggestions, fire away.
Fair! I suppose it's a bit of a Catch 22 from my perspective; neither option is particularly great.

I have, for now at least, said all I have on this. I still believe that the current message limit is not one I personally am a fan of, and would definitely be happy seeing it become a bit bigger (Ideally removed but I know that isn't happening), but if it stays as is then fair enough. Thanks for being willing to hear people out on opinions, even if it is just the same handful arguing a point that has been driven into the ground.

I thought of that a while ago, but unless they somehow manage to make hundreds of separate convos with you before you find out and block them from messaging you or report them or something, it doesn't seem like a huge deal.
plus, eventually the spammer'll get to the max amount of convos
and it'd be hell for them to delete every individual convo

I have, for now at least, said all I have on this. I still believe that the current message limit is not one I personally am a fan of, and would definitely be happy seeing it become a bit bigger (Ideally removed but I know that isn't happening), but if it stays as is then fair enough.
I think the issue is if it was made bigger, it would just be a situational solution that helps a few people and doesn't really do anything else.
Couldn't they just flood the one convo with messages
It'd be easier to get rid of then, you'd just have to leave one convo and they'd be gone.
might i introduce you to the 10 or 11 second cooldown between messages
That applies to creating new convos as far as I've seen(?)
plus, eventually the spammer'll get to the max amount of convos
and it'd be hell for them to delete every individual convo
This did make me consider, the new message limit would be a huge new reason for people to try and make alt accounts though.

Back
Top Bottom