Art Feedback

Flor3nce2456

Queen Bee
I have a friend. I will not tell you any other details about them, just their name, which is on their watermark.
I want you to look at the following picture and tell me a few things Questions are after the image.

CANNONS_C_WATER_SM.png

1) Approximate age.
2) Profession or Specialization ("None" is an Option).
3) School Level, and if College, then what major.

I also want you to critique the art piece. Tell me everything that is wrong with the piece, everything that is right with the piece, and what your personal feelings about it is. Critique technical skill. What do you think the Connotation of the piece is? Tell me what the theme is. What does the Picture say to you? Below are a series of spoilers. You will be answering ALL of these questions multiple times, and rehashing your answers based on the spoilers below, which may affect how you view the piece.

The Artist is Autistic. How does this change how you view the piece and your answers?
The piece is titled "Vent Art". How does this change how you view the piece and your answers?
The Artist is Severely Depressed, Has Anxiety issues, and other unadressed mental problems and practically zero confidence. His attempts at seeking help from his parents were met with insults. He has attempted suicide twice so far: his parents could care less about this. I have had to help drag him out from under a bridge at one point. How does this change how you view the piece and your answers? Assume the artist is not dead.

Please answer the questions as honestly and seriously as possible. Anyone who makes jokes will be added to my "Ignore" list.

Last edited:
1) Fifteen, more or less. Not an average fifteen year old (the vast majority of fifteen-year-olds could not draw this well. I'm eighteen and I definitely can't) but a fifteen year-old arts student. If he doesn't/didn't study arts and did it more as a hobby, I'd probably say around twenty.
2) I'd say a student. Whether he studies visual arts as a subject or just draws as a hobby in his spare time, I'm not sure.
3) Probably year 9-10 if he does arts as a subject, and between high-school and uni if it's more of a hobby. I'm not sure what the equivalent is outside of Australia.

I personally think that this artwork conveys a pretty strong message about war. Dogs usually represent innocence and happiness, so I feel it says that behind the machines made to kill and destroy, there aren't monsters, just innocent people who ended up in the wrong place.
The scene is very dull and unsaturated, with nothing but browns and greys, which perfectly suits the subject. However, I think that the piece would really catch the eye if the contrast between the highlights and the lowlights was increased. Make the shadows stronger and make them really loom over the bunker, and also make the scene a bit gloomier. Is your friend good at drawing rain? Also, I love the background, having a multitude of barrels sticking out is really effective.

I'm not awfully familiar with autism, so I don't really see the art differently after knowing that.
Hmm, the name doesn't really resonate with me. I'd personally go for a name without 'art' in it (I feel it's kinda redundant), but names don't usually change much.
Yeah, I'd understand a piece like this coming from a depressed person. It doesn't really invoke specific negative emotions such as sadness of anger, it just makes you feel bad. It's a bleak drawing, so I'd understand if it came from a bleak person.

All in all, I think it's a really nice drawing (nice as in well made, it doesn't make me feel nice), and overall a good depiction of a morbid reality. Your friend is a talented drawer.

Are the questions about ourselves or what we guess from the image?
1. I would guess that he is aged between 14-29, based on the cutesy style. It's hard to guess an artist's age by their talent, there are some really good artists who are only like 14, and past 30 i would guess that they would have a more serious style.
2. No idea. Art is a hobby, after all.
3. Same as above.

I think it looks great. Some of the guns are off perspective, but that doesn't really matter. Practice makes perfect.
It seems to suggest the artist feels alone, and that the world is against them.

Spoiler #1: I would then guess that he could be anything above 14, even past thirty.
Spoiler #2: This just reinforces my idea of what the artist feels.
Spoiler #3: Same as above.

I also have autism and suffer from depression, anxiety and other mental disorders, so i feel sympathetic towards the artist. :c

13, a student, junior high.

Reminds me of Dr. Cossack's castle in Mega Man IV for some reason. Maybe it's the pipes/cannons?

EDIT: Didn't see the spoiler questions at first.

I know absolutely nothing about art, but I do know being autistic means jack :red: in art. Or, well, most things really.

I choose not to address the third spoiler. Hits too close to home.

Quick bump to thank people for their feedback so far. Would like some more answers before I get down and explain more.

1. 15-17 years old I would guess.
2. As I said 15-17 presumably still at college/late secondary school
3. In my opinion, an A* at GCSE (sorry if I am using level systems you may not understand, these are British levels for education).

The work looks amazing and has a precision to die for. Great shading, style is through and through and it has neither too much detail or too little. It may have something to do with war, being alone/secluded, or prejudice.

1. Autism is classed as a "disability" by some and see that as very prejudiced term, as even though they may be considered "disabled", they can have amazing skills in any number of fields, notably precision and mathematics, so I was not suprised by this fact, as the picture is very precise and shows a great level of skill.

2.I am unsure on what this may mean, so I am afraid it had little impact on me. I am not a great person at deciphering meanings when it comes to language.

3. I can see that due to a very, very harsh environment, the artist may have drawn this to express their feelings, or to make themselves happier, as the piece seems to reflect on a dark environment yet the style is rather "cute". However, I can definitely see a theme of self-protection now, as I have only now noticed the barbed wire surrounding the bunker.

Bump Again.

I am crafting part of the "Explanation" as I type this. There will be an extra question.

EDIT: PS: Did someone delete their response? I remember there being more than this, or I'm imagining things.

EDIT2: Still looking for more responses.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom