TCF Suggestion Better forums blocking

Aceplante

Official Terrarian
Apparently people I have blocked can still see and comment on my posts. Why is this the case?

I understand that for existing comments, or viewing another post he may have commented on, to blur it is a good solution since it may be relevant to the context of the discussion, but he certainly should not be able to still view my posts anyways and comment on them.

Edit: thanks for moving this I couldn't find a forums feedback thread

Last edited:
I would assume it's for the same reason why users can't delete their own threads, which is understandable. If you don't like someone then it doesn't seem fair to remove their priviliges of seeing and commenting on your posts. If it's harassment then it can be reported after all.

However I do think ignores blocking posts on your profile and comments on your profile would be a good feature.

I would assume it's for the same reason why users can't delete their own threads, which is understandable. If you don't like someone then it doesn't seem fair to remove their priviliges of seeing and commenting on your posts. If it's harassment then it can be reported after all.

However I do think ignores blocking posts on your profile and comments on your profile would be a good feature.
why shouldnt blocking prevent him from seeing/commenting on my posts?

why shouldnt blocking prevent him from seeing/commenting on my posts?
If I remember correctly you often make kind of controversial suggestions, and I mean unfortunately it's only fair to have to deal with the controversy as suggestions for changing the game should be able to be seen by the whole community.

If I remember correctly you often make kind of controversial suggestions, and I mean unfortunately it's only fair to have to deal with the controversy as suggestions for changing the game should be able to be seen by the whole community.
Criticism I do not mind, it helps refine the suggestion. What prompted this post however is one particular user.

I mean that's understandable I think. I don't really feel very strongly about this suggestion. Adding it would probably make me happier, but I don't know if happiness should be the goal in this case. I'd mostly be interested in seeing what the mods have to say.

Apparently people I have blocked can still see and comment on my posts. Why is this the case?

I understand that for existing comments, or viewing another post he may have commented on, to blur it is a good solution since it may be relevant to the context of the discussion, but he certainly should not be able to still view my posts anyways and comment on them.

Edit: thanks for moving this I couldn't find a forums feedback thread
Hi there @Aceplante the forums have an Ignore feature, which may be what you're talking about.

IGNORE FEATURE
If you Ignore someone by clicking on the Ignore button, all of their content will be hidden from you. You are ignoring them (they aren't ignoring you, and you aren't blocking them from seeing your content).

Using the Ignore button on someone, they will still be able to post on your profile (if your settings allow), but you won't see any of those messages. The ignored member will not know that you have Ignored them. If the ignored member happens to "like" a post of yours you will be able to see that "like" notation. The ignored member can send you a private message (if you have those set to receive private messages from others), but you will never receive the message.
1704998788342.png

PRIVACY SETTINGS
Additionally, you can set in your Privacy settings other restrictions regarding who can see your Profile page (your profile page is here: Aceplante), who can post on your Profile page, who can receive your News Feed (members that "follow" you will see your posts in their News Feed), who can start a convo (aka a private message), and who can view your Identities (Identities are the info that you filled out at the bottom here: https://forums.terraria.org/index.php?account/account-details).

You can set these privacy settings to All Visitors, Members Only, only People that YOU follow, or Nobody. In this way, you could block another member from viewing or posting to your Profile, or start a convo with you.

1704999457209.png

However, none of these settings would make it so that you could block another member from seeing or replying to a post you made in a public thread. The vanilla settings of the forum software don't offer blocking (in a sense of barring another member from being able to interact with public posts in a thread), and at this time, there isn't a plan to look into this further.

If you want to discuss this in more detail (talking freely about whatever member in particular you are having issues with), please feel free to PM me HERE and we can talk things over.

Ok but why doesn't ignoring someone prevent them from posting on your profile? I mean, you already can have it so you only allow specific people to do that ,so why not have it possible to make it so just specific people can't?

Ok but why doesn't ignoring someone prevent them from posting on your profile? I mean, you already can have it so you only allow specific people to do that ,so why not have it possible to make it so just specific people can't?
I would also say that this would make sense considering you can delete any posts or comments made on your profile at any time.
Could even just be a new privacy setting.

Perhaps because then that might be an indication that the ignored member is being ignored, and as the feature stands right now, the ignored member doesn’t ever have any confirmation that they’ve been ignored? Not sure. If a profile setting is made so that only people that are followed are allowed to post, that prevents an ignored member from posting on the profile, but it does not fully confirm that they have been ignored.

What happens if you follow AND ignore a user at the same time?
About ignored users: IIRC there stands a stroken through microphone symbol and "Ignored content, click to view".

Hi there @Aceplante the forums have an Ignore feature, which may be what you're talking about.

IGNORE FEATURE
If you Ignore someone by clicking on the Ignore button, all of their content will be hidden from you. You are ignoring them (they aren't ignoring you, and you aren't blocking them from seeing your content).

Using the Ignore button on someone, they will still be able to post on your profile (if your settings allow), but you won't see any of those messages. The ignored member will not know that you have Ignored them. If the ignored member happens to "like" a post of yours you will be able to see that "like" notation. The ignored member can send you a private message (if you have those set to receive private messages from others), but you will never receive the message.
View attachment 451606

PRIVACY SETTINGS
Additionally, you can set in your Privacy settings other restrictions regarding who can see your Profile page (your profile page is here: Aceplante), who can post on your Profile page, who can receive your News Feed (members that "follow" you will see your posts in their News Feed), who can start a convo (aka a private message), and who can view your Identities (Identities are the info that you filled out at the bottom here: https://forums.terraria.org/index.php?account/account-details).

You can set these privacy settings to All Visitors, Members Only, only People that YOU follow, or Nobody. In this way, you could block another member from viewing or posting to your Profile, or start a convo with you.

View attachment 451608

However, none of these settings would make it so that you could block another member from seeing or replying to a post you made in a public thread. The vanilla settings of the forum software don't offer blocking (in a sense of barring another member from being able to interact with public posts in a thread), and at this time, there isn't a plan to look into this further.

If you want to discuss this in more detail (talking freely about whatever member in particular you are having issues with), please feel free to PM me HERE and we can talk things over.
I suppose Im saying he should not be able to see posts I've made, and would instead see a message that "this post doesn't exist" if he tried to use a direct link. In other people's posts that I didn't make, the current "you are ignoring this memeber" is fine, but it seems odd there is no way to "block" a user and make them unable to spam your posts. You mentioned there were no plans to add this, but it is a basic feature many sites have and it could be helpful here too. Until then, thanks for your help

I suppose Im saying he should not be able to see posts I've made, and would instead see a message that "this post doesn't exist" if he tried to use a direct link. In other people's posts that I didn't make, the current "you are ignoring this memeber" is fine, but it seems odd there is no way to "block" a user and make them unable to spam your posts. You mentioned there were no plans to add this, but it is a basic feature many sites have and it could be helpful here too. Until then, thanks for your help
I can understand your frustration that there’s not a solution that fits your individual issue.

These are public forums with discussion threads that everyone can view, even guests that aren’t logged in or have an account. There wouldn’t be a point to block someone from seeing your content if they could just log out and see it. Having the content of discussion threads of the forums be private, and locked behind logging in with an account, in order to facilitate blocking people from seeing certain content isn’t something that we‘d want.

I‘d contend that the blocking feature that many sites have is what we do have for profile posts - being able to lock down your profile so that nobody can see it, or so that only people you follow can see it, or so that only members (not guests who aren’t logged in) can see it. Our profiles are somewhat the equivalent of Twitter or Instagram or the other places that have blocking. And you are able to block people from your profile here. But the public discussion threads are a totally different animal.

If you have an individual spamming, please let the forum staff know and we can look into it. No one likes spam and it’s not allowed. I hope that even if I’m not able to get you the perfect solution, the above reasons can help you understand a bit more of where I’m coming from. :)

These are public forums with discussion threads that everyone can view, even guests that aren’t logged in or have an account. There wouldn’t be a point to block someone from seeing your content if they could just log out and see it. Having the content of discussion threads of the forums be private, and locked behind logging in with an account, in order to facilitate blocking people from seeing certain content isn’t something that we‘d want.

I‘d contend that the blocking feature that many sites have is what we do have for profile posts - being able to lock down your profile so that nobody can see it, or so that only people you follow can see it, or so that only members (not guests who aren’t logged in) can see it. Our profiles are somewhat the equivalent of Twitter or Instagram or the other places that have blocking. And you are able to block people from your profile here. But the public discussion threads are a totally different animal.

I hope that even if I’m not able to get you the perfect solution, the above reasons can help you understand a bit more of where I’m coming from. :)
Of course, I suppose that makes sense. Thanks for your help

Back
Top Bottom