Game Mechanics Better Liquid Drainage

You haven't stated the solution properly, I'm still rather confused and not fully understanding what you want to happen.

It would seem that the way liquid is handled, the water/lava at the bottom is unable to drain before being filled with the water from the top, leading to infinite liquid.

Honestly, my understanding of how liquids function is a bit vague, I simply don't have a solution. My apologies.

It would seem that the way liquid is handled, the water/lava at the bottom is unable to drain before being filled with the water from the top, leading to infinite liquid.

Honestly, my understanding of how liquids function is a bit vague, I simply don't have a solution. My apologies.
Could you give us a screenshot of the 'bug' or issue that's occurring?

Not really, I had a large body of water in a cave and let it through some 2-3 block wide tunnels, there was plenty of room for the water, but I think due to the top of the body of water being offscreen it didn't register that the water shouldn't have been there, anyway, I turned 200 blocks of water into about 2500.

I have never, ever experienced this problem. Although, I do agree we need a better method of clearing water/lava especially in the late game when it becomes such an annoyance, instead of an obstacle.

Hm. Yog's problem does have some merit. The way Terraria liquids are handled is quite annoying. Natural infinite flow can be fixed by resettling liquids with the world, but pumps still are frustrating to use, since they will inevitably produce extra water. I'm not completely sure about how liquids function, but it probably has to do with how they are rounded up in the code when quantities are in certain decimal/fractional increments. Perhaps somebody more knowledgeable on these matters can think of a way to resolve this?

Hm. Yog's problem does have some merit. The way Terraria liquids are handled is quite annoying. Natural infinite flow can be fixed by resettling liquids with the world, but pumps still are frustrating to use, since they will inevitably produce extra water. I'm not completely sure about how liquids function, but it probably has to do with how they are rounded up in the code when quantities are in certain decimal/fractional increments. Perhaps somebody more knowledgeable on these matters can think of a way to resolve this?
That sounds like the most logical reason to why it happens. I'm gonna guess it's a floating point (Because that's the only use I can think of pertaining to a decimal in C#).

Back
Top Bottom