Biomes & Nature Biome Improvements

Do you agree with my thoughts? Any changes you would make to my list? (Comment)

• Total voters

Purpulear

Spazmatism
As someone who likes to keep things nice and organized. The biome generator is really... ugly. I know that the engine might not be able to handle something better/more detailed generation. But if it's possible I think the following changes would be nice.

1. A single desert
The multiple deserts that spawn in each world is somewhat annoying. We're not lacking sand. We can find that in the underground patches. I think one large desert. With the catacombs starting in the middle. And a pyramid somewhere in there. Which brings me to my second suggestion.

2. Raised Pyramids
As of right now the entrance of the pyramids are practically uselsss cause they only spawn above the ground so little. Either raise pyramids or just remove the entrance.

3. Set Biome Spreads
I very much dislike the world evil spawning in the snow biome. It really ruins what resources you can get from both snow and evil biomes. I also think maybe a set hallow location in a forest on world creation that'll appear there would be nice touch, but not really something I wish for.

4. No more giant trees without loot.
Really annoying when the giant trees dont have an inside. Just a blockage really.

(Note: I do know about the dark and light shards. And having a single desert would make them hard to obtain. My counter offer as fix would to make them drop by different enemies. As it's not a item that directly ties to the mummies. Just drops from them.)

Eh. Your main problem is assuming everyone wants the same things. I like the randomness of the generator; while some parts can be messy (desert meeting snow), usually I prefer the organic and varied landscape it creates. The only part of this I like is raising the pyramids. In all but the rarest situations, multiple patches of world evils spawn, so at least one of them shouldn't be in snow. The only resource that is 'ruined' this way is a lack of Shadewood or Ebonwood, and you're completely capable of creating your own patch post EoC if you get unlucky. (Other people prefer when it ends up in snow.) Hallow wasn't meant to be in the game pre-hardmode. I personally enjoy the multiple deserts, and having an extremely long desert to cross would be absolutely nightmarish in the beginning of the game, and since the main desert spawns between the center of the world and jungle, it might prevent the player from accessing half of the world for a very long time. Also, since sand corrupts extremely quickly, one massive desert would be a frightening way to have one infectious biome spiral out of control, and as sand is affected by gravity, splitting them into sections to individually corrupt or hallow is difficult. (It's not just the shards - sun and moon mask, as well as several items that only drop from corrupted or crimsoned deserts.) I also like the decorative, smaller living trees. Not everything has to give me things, and it's not hard to just dig a tunnel through three or five blocks of wood to get to the other side.

So overall, no support. I would like the ability to customize worldgen, and that would give both you and me what we want, but that would also be a complicated thing to implement.

In order:
1. Agreed. It was a change in 1.3. Before 1.3, you'd have one or two deserts. Now you have sand dumped everywhere, even in places it makes no sense. (E.g. Right next to snow. Yes, cold deserts exists in the real world, but Terrarian deserts are hot.) Two decent sized deserts and no patches of random sand please! :)
2. I think pyramids are fine. Some level of exploration is nice. You can usually see the tips poking above the sand, or you can try to seed a desert with C/C/H to change the sand colour and make sandstone blocks stick out. A Wisp also helps.
3. Avoiding biome overlap would be nice. (Not sure if TerraCustom has the ability or not?) Most people prefer the biome not generate over the Jungle, but the same can be said of the Underground Desert and Snow.
4. I think giant trees are fine too. They are nice aesthetically even if not functionally.

Light/Dark shards are kind of irrelevant. You only need a small patch of sand to spawn mummies. I get mummies from a small cactus garden in my base. And you can always go to another world for shards.

Back
Top Bottom