NPCs & Enemies Blood Moons and Oceans

Would you like to see this in-game?

• Total voters
Has anyone heard the sailor saying: "Red sun at morning, sailors take warning?" No? Anyway, from what I know, it means that if the sun looks red at morning, a huge storm is coming.
Upon thinking about this, I came up with this here suggestion. Enjoy.

Further Explanation:
I also realised that the Blood Moon is a little pathetic if you think about it. I mean, one mob that SOMETIMES spawns in Hardmode? Pfft. So, I came up with 1) a way to improve the Blood Moon, and 2) adding another myth/legend reference.

And now for the suggestion.
Whenever there's a Blood Moon, along with increased spawns, there will be several new mobs in the Ocean. There will be Hardmode and Pre-Hardmode mobs, and they all want to kill you.

PRE-HARDMODE MOBS

Reaver Shark
Damage: 55
Health: 350
Defence: 5
Spawns slightly rarer then regular Sharks.
Drops:
Shark Fin (98%)
Reaver Shark Banner (0.5%)
Reaver Shark Pickaxe (15%)
Now, my idea for this is that the Reaver Shark pickaxe would no longer be obtained by fishing, and this enemy would drop it. Also, for balancing, the Reaver Shark pickaxe would have its power decreased to 75% so it would no longer mine Cobalt/Palladium.

Horseshoe Crab
Damage: 28
Health: 50
Defence: 7
Spawns instead of regular Crabs
Drops:
Crab Banner (0.5%)
Crab Shell (15%)

Demonic Seagull
Damage: 18
Health: 35
Defence: 12
Spawns above the water, as common as Jellyfish.
Drops:
Demonic Seagull Banner (0.5%)

Vampire Squid (Thanks, Baconfry!)
Damage: 15
Health: 40
Replaces Squids
Every time it damages you, it has a chance to regain 10% of any lost health.
Drops:
Black Ink (100%)

HARDMODE MOBS

Merman
Damage: 65
Health: 295
Defence: 20
Spawns uncommonly, acts similar to his Icy cousin. Instead of Frost Balls, this red Merman would shoot Blood Water balls.
Drops:
Merman Banner (0.5%)
Blood Bolt (5%)

Pufferfish
Damage: 47
Health: 175
Defence: 15
Swims around, inflicts Poison.
Drops:
Pufferfish Banner (0.5%)
Stinger (33%)

Lamprey (Thanks, Baconfry ...again!)
Damage: 28
Health: 200
Spawns as common as Sharks
Swims very fast (as fast as a Wolf) and latches onto you like the Piranha Gun, slowly draining your health.
Drops:
Lamprey Banner (0.5%)
It might drop a weapon of some sort, I'm not sure.

LOOT
Crab Shell
Accessory
Drops from Horseshoe Crab (15%).
Provides +4 Defence, slightly increased movement underwater.

Blood Bolt
Magic Weapon
Sort-of upgrade to the Water Bolt.
45 Magic Damage
Strong Knockback
Uses 15 Mana
Shoots a red orb of blood that ricochets 10 times and can inflict Bleeding on other players in PVP.

CONCLUSION
I know that some people will say that the sun is supposed to be red, not the moon, but whatever.
Anyway, that was my Blood Moon Ocean suggestion. Thanks for reading! Feedback appreciated, sprites welcome!

Last edited:
Horseshoe crabs should totally drop lucky horseshoes. Anyways, I like this suggestion quite a bit. It adds a bit more depth to a pretty bland event.

Blood jellies should replace jellyfish spawns during blood moons, regardless of biome.

Corruption will need its own variant, since Crimson is getting its own variant of Corrupt Bunnies in 1.3 (if I understand that spoiler properly). @Cenx?

I was thinking it should be blood jellies because blood moon, blood jellies, you know? But you raise a good point. Blood jellies shouldn't be spawning on corruption worlds.

Maybe you could get seagulls in by putting them in the ocean during rain?

ETA: Or just change it to pelicans, anyone whose been on a dock with one of those can see how they can be frightening(that thing was like an odd pterodactyl).

[Well, now I know that if you need a suggestion to get attention, just ask SzGamer to look at it]
Anyway, I realise it's a good idea to add some more mobs, like Baconfry said. Gonna do that later when I have time. Also, the Blood Water Bolt is up for a name change if anyone can come up with something better.

[Jesus Christ this was way too frustrating to edit]
Added the Vampire Squid and the Lamprey and changed Seagull to Demonic Seagull. Still trying to think of a better name for the Blood Water Bolt.
If anyone is willing to provide some sprites, they'd be well appreciated!

I like everything but the Reaver Shark being depowered to 75%, as it is a good pickaxe to bring into hardmode, but that would remove that bonus.

I like it, but I would really like the Reaver shark to keep the way it is. Pigrons don't drop the scaly truffle, no?

I like it, but I would really like the Reaver shark to keep the way it is. Pigrons don't drop the scaly truffle, no?
I agree with him, the reader shark is my favorite thing ever, because it's like a molten pick you can get whenever, which I adore. But otherwise, cool suggestion overall!!

Back
Top Bottom