Blood root; EXACTLY where to find it!

Was this helpful?

• Total voters

Braquen

Dungeon Spirit
Blood root is a pain in the :redspin: to find. I didn't have a single piece of Orange dye for so long. It turns out, I was looking in the wrong place. You see, on the wiki, it says blood grows in the underground. When you hear that, what do you think of? The same level that green mushrooms grow. Actually, they grow in the HIGHEST layer of the underground, right where grass begins to be absent from dirt. I swear, I dug around there for a bit, and now I have 37 Orange dye. The more you know. Now go get some dye!

The wiki (and the game itself, I think, through the fishing quests) always uses "underground" to mean the higher portion of the caves, just below the grass layer, and "caverns" to refer to the two lower portions of the caves. Personally, I've been able to find orange bloodroots in the two higher layers, that is, the one referred as "underground", and the portion of "caverns" that is filled with water lakes. Possibly it can also be found in the lowest potion of "caverns", where there are lava lakes, but it would a pain to find them, because it gets confused in the map with all that dripping lava.

Anyway, orange bloodroot not only generates right below the grass layer. It's just that it generates where there is dirt on the ceiling, and I suppose that happens less as you go deeper.

Maybe you might want to say, it takes a while for them to grow. It happened in my mobile world. I was going to different worlds and couldn't find any. Then boom, they start growing in my oldest world. So basically it takes a bit for them to grow but when they do, they ALL grow so then you find more then enough.

They grow from the ceiling on the bottom of dirt blocks. It just so happens that the caverns are composed almost entirely of stone, whereas the underground areas closer to the surface have more dirt. I didn't find any Bloodroot for the longest time until I realized this, either.

They grow from the ceiling on the bottom of dirt blocks. It just so happens that the caverns are composed almost entirely of stone, whereas the underground areas closer to the surface have more dirt. I didn't find any Bloodroot for the longest time until I realized this, either.
I made a dirt ceiling across the cavern layer of my world. Nothing grew.

I suppose it's just that bloodroot takes in general a painfully long time to grow, regardless of height.

EDIT: A proof. An orange bloodroot in the lava layer.
Orangeinlava.png

Last edited:
I always feel like I've accomplished something when I find one, you know, since they're infamous for that 1.2 bug where they literally did not spawn at all and no one could find any.

They only grow underground? I got bloodroots growing on my old humble dirt box!

My own experience says they don't grow on surface, since I built a AFK farm for strange plants and absolutely no bloodroots spawn there, only blinkroots (and, of course, the strange plants, which I'm 100% sure that don't interfere with bloodroot growth).

Could you post pics of your house?

My own experience says they don't grow on surface, since I built a AFK farm for strange plants and absolutely no bloodroots spawn there, only blinkroots (and, of course, the strange plants, which I'm 100% sure that don't interfere with bloodroot growth).

Could you post pics of your house?
Well, since this thread is not in any specific sub-forum, I assumed this applies to all platforms.

Because I'm playing in mobile, and bloodroots are surprisingly common there, especially under the ceilings of dirt shacks, maybe they only spawns behind dirt walls? Terraria's algorithm can be really confusing.

Back
Top Bottom