Weapons & Equip Buff our pets please!

Banana3pai

Plantera
Little buffing pets may not seem very impressive, but it is definitely a nice help early game, and a hard decission late game and in pvp, having to decide between, for example, penguin guiving speed in water, turtle giving extra defense points, tiki totem or cursed sapling giving extra summon damage, zephyr fish giving extra flying/jumping distance and water movement speed, the black cat givig extra magic damage, and so on.
Notice I said LITTLE buffs, never being a viable source of burst damage or walled defense ( for example, the turtle could give 5 armor points, and I think it may be too much xD).

Pets are vanity. I don't want to choose my companion based on how he affects my damage dealt or jumping distance. I think the pets that produce light are already pushing the limits. Maybe you could suggest minions that give you specific boosts in stats, but in its current state I don't see this suggestion making it into the game.

Baby Truffle and the Cursed Sapling are the only ones who offer anything to the player, light. But the only pets who could truly earn an extra benefit would be the Puppy and the Parrot.

Puppy: Ability to pet it.
Parrot: Talks randomly.

Should they earn the ability to help you during battle? No. None of the pets should do anything combat-related, since there's already Summons.

In all suggestions, when we consider adding defense there must be a compromise to counter against it. We can't keep throwing in defense as a small buff here and there because it'll all add up and make players nigh invulnerable. Heck, you can do that already. 40 defence, Wall of Flesh can barely scratch you.

This is the wrong section. It needs to be in console, as pets only buff things in console.
Seems like the right section to me. It's a Suggestion, which does not need to be platform-specific.

I guess it could be moved to Game Mechanics, or NPC/Enemies, but it definitely seems to be a suggestion.

There are three sub-divisions of "minions/pets" in this game.

One is true pets. Except for a minor amount of light provided by a few of them, these are entirely aesthetic. Generally speaking, if it falls in this category, it shouldn't be providing benefits. While I could imagine an exception or two, I think that anything that provides a true benefit in any mechanical way shouldn't be in here.

Two is light pets. Right now these are limited to 3 summons that generate light.

Three is minions/summons. These provide mechanical benefit in the form of melee damage. At this time, there are no utility summons, but I could imagine them. What you are suggesting would best fall in this category.

Seems like the right section to me. It's a Suggestion, which does not need to be platform-specific.

I guess it could be moved to Game Mechanics, or NPC/Enemies, but it definitely seems to be a suggestion.
Sorry, I meant in a console section. Or at least a console tag.
There are three sub-divisions of "minions/pets" in this game.

One is true pets. Except for a minor amount of light provided by a few of them, these are entirely aesthetic. Generally speaking, if it falls in this category, it shouldn't be providing benefits. While I could imagine an exception or two, I think that anything that provides a true benefit in any mechanical way shouldn't be in here.

Two is light pets. Right now these are limited to 3 summons that generate light.

Three is minions/summons. These provide mechanical benefit in the form of melee damage. At this time, there are no utility summons, but I could imagine them. What you are suggesting would best fall in this category.
I believe its different on console, what this member is referring to.

@El Rubio made no specific mention of it being console, and referred only to non-console exclusive, including the Zephyr Fish, which is currently PC exclusive.

While I'm aware of the pseudo-combat pets on Console, unless we get word from El Rubio that this is the intention, there isn't much action to be taken. There is no Console Suggestion section, and while we do have a Console tag, I'll only add it if Rubio confirms this was a Console-centric idea.

@El Rubio made no specific mention of it being console, and referred only to non-console exclusive, including the Zephyr Fish, which is currently PC exclusive.

While I'm aware of the pseudo-combat pets on Console, unless we get word from El Rubio that this is the intention, there isn't much action to be taken. There is no Console Suggestion section, and while we do have a Console tag, I'll only add it if Rubio confirms this was a Console-centric idea.
That zephyr fish...

Now I'm confused. Oh well, I'll leave it to you mods to decide.

On topic, I own the collectors edition, so would only really want to use my exclusive pet. I don't think that this would work out too well.

Sorry, I meant in a console section. Or at least a console tag.

I believe its different on console, what this member is referring to.

So, should I remove the post and open a new one in summons? If not, I have to explain myself better then. Now pets are completely aesthetic, quite funny but I get bored of them after 8 hours with the sale one, also they are a bit annoying when trying to build with the ruler for example (I get rid of them and then forget to summon again), I get easily distracted when fighting bosses, they reveal your position in pvp if you wear sroomite armor, they let people know where you dashed when flying... I don't want them to attack, there are summons for that, but it could be nice to summon a pet and find out that it lets you fly 3 more blocks, swim 3 more seconds, hit 3 points harder, or remain with 3 more health after a strike. They remain aesthetic because they ARE aesthetic but not useless.
Maybe you can argue, "this game is complete without that" and I agree, but right now I'm not using any pet in any of my characters.

The post is for all platforms.

PD: question for everybody. Would you say "REMOVE IT" after they first implemented pets if those had little buffs like 1/2/3 defense?

Last edited:
No, they are meant as vanity, and should stay like that. They serve the same purpose as vanity items and clothing.

If you have a problem with it revealing your position, just dont use one.

I find pets on terraria really ugly, with the exception of the - um, nothing. But I understand they are still vanity and look nice for some people, I'm not saying you can't have them, I'm just saying I don't like them and i usually sell the pet summon. However, we could all benefit from some new types of magic and summons that do more than direct damage, and maybe upgradeable pets could be the way to go...

Back
Top Bottom