tModLoader Calamity Mod

What would you like me to create more of?

• NPCs (enemies, house NPCs, etc.)

Votes: 1,172 19.4%
  • Bosses

Votes: 2,460 40.8%
  • Items (Accessories, Weapons, etc.)

Votes: 1,591 26.4%
  • Vanity (furniture, armor sets, etc.)

Votes: 439 7.3%
  • Mineable Stuff (Ores, Blocks, etc.)

Votes: 373 6.2%

• Total voters
No, it really isn't. Designing without the other mods in mind means that there are going to be lots of duplicates, cries of plagiarism, and stale gameplay. You need to set yourself apart, which means acknowledging what other mods have. And with other mods, abuse cases of imbalanced weapons/armor causing skips in progression from any other mod are very common. So you have the option of leaving them, directly nerfing other options than your own, or inputting little changes to make it more balanced.

The aforementioned Thorium weapon does make killing Slime God take 30 seconds and some mana. Barely even a challenge. But it could be solved by making Slime God shoot his minions out a ways instead of spawning them right on him. Then there wouldn't be infinite bounces. It only involves a small tweak, but forcibly balances another mods weapon without touching that mod or nerfing Slime God.
Okay, then there's Primordial Earth which shoots this massive, particle-heavy dust cloud that goes through tiles and does almost 200 damage or so. Balance against that now.

When you play with multiple item mods all together, things are going to be unbalanced somewhere. You can't count on every contingency. Your only real solution is to play with one at a time, if you want the mod experienced the way it "should" be. Mod authors cannot take everyone else's items into account so they should concentrate on making their mod work the best with itself.

Okay, then there's Primordial Earth which shoots this massive, particle-heavy dust cloud that goes through tiles and does almost 200 damage or so. Balance against that now.

When you play with multiple item mods all together, things are going to be unbalanced somewhere. You can't count on every contingency. Your only real solution is to play with one at a time, if you want the mod experienced the way it "should" be. Mod authors cannot take everyone else's items into account so they should concentrate on making their mod work the best with itself.

You're right. You can't stop every edge case. All you can do is the best you can to make the big ones less so. Bosses are the big limiters to progression, and being able to take one out with no effort and not even jumping in the progression? It's fine to beat him with no problem once you're past him and have better weapons and gear, but you just got the Particle Whip. To have it immediately make your next boss a cakewalk is a definite problem. One you can't deal with without designing around it.

You also have to remember that Primordial earth is a rather difficult weapon to get for only 88 base damage. You have to defeat Plantera and farm the dungeon at least. It shreds lower class enemy's? Of course it does.

And with the ease of getting Terraria mods, and their growing popularity, do you really expect people to limit themselves to only one mod? Maybe one or two playthroughs, but people will want more. That's why the mods are growing in the first place. And the bigger a mod gets, the more standard having it in a modpack will be. Look at Minecraft. The modding community there grew explosively. And there are at least 10 mods that are in every pack. More if the pack isn't themed exclusively for one type of play. You think those authors didn't have to look at what other mods are lacking or breaking and try to fix them? Hell yeah they did. Of course, they went really far to create an API so everything would work smoothly, same thing tModloader is doing but not quite at the same level (yet).

You can't say it's bad design to try to make sure you're mod is current and as exploit-free as possible when these mods are getting more common.

If you want an example of the only mod I know of that ditched all other mods, their API, and all future updates to the game it was modding in the pursuit of perfect one-mod design, go check out Better Than Wolves.

Last edited:
You're right. You can't stop every edge case. All you can do is the best you can to make the big ones less so. Bosses are the big limiters to progression, and being able to take one out with no effort and not even jumping in the progression? It's fine to beat him with no problem once you're past him and have better weapons and gear, but you just got the Particle Whip. To have it immediately make your next boss a cakewalk is a definite problem. One you can't deal with without designing around it.

You also have to remember that Primordial earth is a rather difficult weapon to get for only 88 base damage. You have to defeat Plantera and farm the dungeon at least. It shreds lower class enemys? Of course it does.

What does the Particle Whip do to the Devourer of Gods? Haven't tested it but it probably kills him in 5 seconds due to all his segments.

Not changing that boss because Thorium includes that weapon tbh

We definitely need a new mod banner. Nearly all of the bosses have gotten new sprites and some of the weapons as well.

@Scourge of light I like the idea. Hard to program, maybe, but entirely possible. The arrow would be easy to create as well.

I think the upcoming update should bring the item total to 300, but don't quote me on that.
for the buff you could create an invisible object that has the actual projectile inside of it, the invisible projectile will give the buff, while the projectile does the damage

What does the Particle Whip do to the Devourer of Gods? Haven't tested it but it probably kills him in 5 seconds due to all his segments.

Not changing that boss because Thorium includes that weapon tbh
Yeah, hit him once while he spawns slimes, and it ricochets hundreds of times per second. You may have to hit him more than once if the slimes die faster, but two or three hits and he's down to his second red form. Same thing applies there too.

And speaking of arrows, Other than Hyperious Bullets, do you add any other sort of ammo? I haven't found any in-game or on the OP.

Yeah, hit him once while he spawns slimes, and it ricochets hundreds of times per second. You may have to hit him more than once if the slimes die faster, but two or three hits and he's down to his second red form. Same thing applies there too.

And speaking of arrows, Other than Hyperious Bullets, do you add any other sort of ammo? I haven't found any in-game or on the OP.

Verium Bullets, and other weapons that shoot their own specific ammo types. I'll add more ammo later.

Right now, have this idea list:
1. Pestilent Defiler (Plague Pistol from Borderlands 1).
2. Plaguebringer animation (12 frames).
3. Trophies for all the bosses except Plaguebringer.
4. Masks for all the bosses.
5. True version of the Ark of the Ancients.
6. Dank Creeper NPC for the Hive Mind (should look dark purple and scaley like a fishes scales)
7. True Shadow Scale (drops from Hive Mind and Dank Creeper).
8. Night's Ray (Spell staff that drops from the Hive Mind).
9. Lunar Shield (Expert Accessory from Omega, gives the player almighty strength during the night).
10. Shadowdrop Rod (Staff from the Hive Mind, creates a shadow raincloud that rains shade drops down).
11. Dank Staff (Summoner Staff that summons Dank Creepers to fight for you).
12. Bloodclot Staff (Summoner Staff that summons Blood Clots to fight for you).
13. The Aorta (Yoyo dropped by the Perforator).
14. Crimulan Armor (Armor for the Perforator, upgraded from the Crimson Armor).
15. Ebonian Armor (Armor for the Hive Mind, upgraded from the Shadow Armor).
16. Blood Bath (Spell staff for the Perforator).
17. Vein Burster (Sword dropped by the Perforator).
18. Hardmode Trophies for all the Prehardmode bosses.
19. Post-Moon Lord Trophies for all the Prehardmode and Hardmode bosses.
20. Plague Zombie (should look like a dark green Blood Zombie).
21. Overloading Tomb Crawler (blue tomb crawler).
22. Crimulan/Ebonian Gel Zombies.
23. Blighted Seer (one of Omnir's NPCs. Green eye with dark red/black skin).
24. Armored Dragon God (one of Omnir's NPCs. Metallic with blue electricity.)
25. True Blood Sample (drops from the Perforator).
26. Omega Head animation (Skeletron Prime but resembles a god of the moon).
27. Alpha Head animation (Skeletron Prime but resembles a god of the sun).
28. Omega Missile Launcher, Plasma Cannon, Lunar Ray Blaster, and Greatsword of Judgement (Omega arms).
29. Alpha Soothing Sunlight Blaster, Light Cannon, Summoning Orb, and Profaned Greatsword (Alpha arms).
30. Weapons for all of Alpha and Omega's arms scaled down to fit the player of course.
31. Ark of the Elements (the final sword in the game, should look pretty epic).

Verium Bullets, and other weapons that shoot their own specific ammo types. I'll add more ammo later.

6. Dank Creeper NPC for the Hive Mind (should look dark purple and scaley like a fishes scales)
9. Lunar Shield (Expert Accessory from Omega, gives the player almighty strength during the night).
10. Shadowdrop Rod (Staff from the Hive Mind, creates a shadow raincloud that rains shade drops down).
28. Omega Missile Launcher, Plasma Cannon, Lunar Ray Blaster, and Greatsword of Judgement (Omega arms).
29. Alpha Soothing Sunlight Blaster, Light Cannon, Summoning Orb, and Profaned Greatsword (Alpha arms).
30. Weapons for all of Alpha and Omega's arms scaled down to fit the player of course.
I'm just letting all of you guys know, this update will either have content split into different updates, or it might take a while for this update to get to you guys.
[doublepost=1469563892,1469563777][/doublepost]When I say a while I mean maybe a week or two but I promise, we will try to get it to you all as quickly as we can, and even that could take a bit cuz of bugs, so lets hope there isn't many bugs XD

I'm just letting all of you guys know, this update will either have content split into different updates, or it might take a while for this update to get to you guys.
[doublepost=1469563892,1469563777][/doublepost]When I say a while I mean maybe a week or two but I promise, we will try to get it to you all as quickly as we can, and even that could take a bit cuz of bugs, so lets hope there isn't many bugs XD

And the bugs will be my problem as always. There are no bugs with the Ark of the Ancients sword so that's a good start :p

Holy cow

Verium, equal to Chlorophyte, made of Verstaltite bars.
Edit- Ninja`d

Verium, equal to Chlorophyte, made of Verstaltite bars.
Edit- Ninja`d
Ooh! Do they have a long trailing particle? Because if not I'm switching from Chlorophyte right now. Finally got the shredder yesterday, but it lags really hard to shoot even a single volley. I found High Velocity bullets to be good with it, because it reduces the spread a bit and the bullets don't lag much at all.

Edit: Oh, they have long trails too. One volley and I get one fps. Twice as much damage as Chlorophyte though

Last edited:
"What does the Particle Whip do to the Devourer of Gods? Haven't tested it but it probably kills him in 5 seconds due to all his segments."

Not that far into the game yet but it destroys wyverns pretty quickly, the base damage is probably too low if the Devourer of Gods has a high amount of armor but it will still kill it pretty quickly probably.

@SkullRay what i meant was not that they have creepers protecting them but that they have the ability to summon creepers occasionally to fly along the screen. The laser is easy to dodge and the energy spikes have a warning like the vortex portal lightning

Ooh! Do they have a long trailing particle? Because if not I'm switching from Chlorophyte right now. Finally got the shredder yesterday, but it lags really hard to shoot even a single volley. I found High Velocity bullets to be good with it, because it reduces the spread a bit and the bullets don't lag much at all.

Edit: Oh, they have long trails too. One volley and I get one fps. Twice as much damage as Chlorophyte though

For me the Shredder doesn't lag THAT much :eek:

Is this a reference to Subnautica?

Yes!

Back
Top Bottom