Game Mechanics Can you add a cool anti-piracy measure to the game?

Conjo344

Queen Slime
And I don't mean like a crash when you start up the game, but a really cool thing to do if your game is pirated or cracked. Feel free to make your own suggestions, people. I will add the ones I like below.

EDIT: Please no OP things, like "Bosses are unbeatable", or "You only spawn with one health."

Penalties:

- A message will pop up saying: "Fun is infinite with re-logic. Please buy the game or sparky doo's ghost will haunt you for the rest of your life." - Hax4Ever
- All mobs would spawn with a pirate hat.
- All NPC's will have "Just buy the damn game!" added to their list of quotes.
- On world generation, a sign will spawn next to the player will say: "You know that buying the game helps Re-Logic make Terraria better, right?"
- You will spawn with a pirate hat and an eye patch, both black rarity, and tooltips being: "I heard terraria was only 10 bucks!"
- Pirate Invasion first day. -Fortanono
- New quotes from the Guide about buying the game. - Fortanono
-New Tax Collector quote: "I thought you were finished cutting in on other peoples' profits..." - Yaster Goodman

Last edited:
I've actually met a lot of people who pirate the game, to actually try it out, and since Terraria is a cheap game, and most times end up enjoying it, they buy it as well. so adding things like that would only turn those people away from buying the game, in essence I think this is a good idea, but not make the penalties so severe, perhaps a simple message whenever you start the game or something, or disable multiplayer in general, so they can at least try on single player and make the decision then.

OP Pirate Invasion with extreme spawn rates and infinite onscreen enemies limit: 80lvl irony. And trolling.

Or just pull a sonic cd:

Fun is infinite
with re-logic.
Please buy the game or sparky doo's ghost will haunt you for the rest of your life.

Pirate npc spawns instead of the guide and saying only "welcome to the club mate"

But in all honestly, i agree with i19z here

NPCs wouldn't sell anything
NPCs would die randomly (quite like Santa)
Bosses needed for progression would be unbeatable (9999 defense and infinite health)
Trolling (blocks would randomly break, blocks would change types, piggy bank & placed chests would be emptied, etc.)
Only 1 world and 1 character allowed (not 1000)
No multiplayer (game would crash)
Blue slime would have a 50% chance to spawn with a pirate hat or have infinite health
Loot drops severely lowered
Aw bum, it would've hurted me, because I've played the game without buying for 4 years!

Time to confess: I've pirated the game, but only because I couldn't get the Mac wrapper set up on Steam. I had bought the game in 2013, but had to use a decompiled version until I fixed my virtual machine. Steam integration makes it now impossible to get the full experience, and I've fixed my VMWare copy's graphical glitches (just had to use retro lighting), so I'm using that until the Mac release.

Anyway: Um...
  1. Pirate Invasion first day. Could be funny.
  2. New quotes from the Guide about buying the game.
  3. Exclusive achievement for pirating the game that doesn't actually exist.

Time to confess: I've pirated the game, but only because I couldn't get the Mac wrapper set up on Steam. I had bought the game in 2013, but had to use a decompiled version until I fixed my virtual machine. Steam integration makes it now impossible to get the full experience, and I've fixed my VMWare copy's graphical glitches (just had to use retro lighting), so I'm using that until the Mac release.

Anyway: Um...
  1. Pirate Invasion first day. Could be funny.
  2. New quotes from the Guide about buying the game.
  3. Exclusive achievement for pirating the game that doesn't actually exist.
Thanks for the ideas! I edited the post and pasted a couple of them up.

Every gun shoots 0 damage rabbits. Instead of blood paricles and gore they are replaced with flowers.

How do you propose Terraria would know whether ti has been pirated or not?
I believe there is a way to check, as many old games (like Pokemon Firered and Leafgreen) would do :red: like this, and it was always :red:ing hilarious.

That would be kinda sad since I have to wait for the mac release, soo I'm stuck with the pirated GOG version on a wrapper :C

It would be a file impossible to move, cause it will have code that will delete the file if it is ever interacted with by the user.

It would be a file impossible to move, cause it will have code that will delete the file if it is ever interacted with by the user.
A. That isn't possible. B. If it were possible, why not apply that magic to the whole game? C. What's to stop people from just pirating the original installer instead? (which is what they'd do anyway)

Back
Top Bottom