Can't find any cobalt...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aaronjw

Terrarian
First off, this is my first post here, so hi everyone! Secondly, if this is the wrong place to post this, I apologize.

Anyway, I just killed the WoF, and have started hard mode. I started off by smashing five Crimson Alters (there happened to be a lot in one place) to get my hardmode ores. I ended up with cobalt, orichalcum, and titanium. If I understand correctly, since I smashed five alters, I should have a good amount of cobalt, a good amount of orichalcum, and somewhat less titanium. Unfortunately, I cannot for the life of me find any cobalt whatsoever. I've looked around some of my mines, I've looked on the map, but can't find any. However, there is TONS of orichalcum. I see it all over my map. It's worth mentioning that I haven't run across any titanium yet either, but I haven't really been looking.

So did I do something wrong? Should I not have smashed more alters? Or do I just need to keep looking?

On a related note, will ores be identifiable on the automap if you haven't actually found any yourself yet? Could it be that I'm seeing cobalt on my map, but it just doesn't say what it is because I haven't actually discovered any?

Thanks!

I remember having a lot more problems finding hardmode ores on large worlds, since there is more room to spread them out. Are you on a large world? Are you mining in the Underground Jungle? If I am correct, then there are not as many ores or gems in the Jungle. What is curious is that you say you have found tons of Orichalcum... That is all I can say. Sorry about your issue, and have a good day!

This seems very odd. I've never had anything like this happen to me before. I don't think we can blame this on anything else but a generation glitch.

For Titanium though, you have to go pretty deep and look pretty hard. It's not as common as the other ores. But if you're finding a ton of Orichalcum and no Cobalt, it's likely that there isn't any, because it's easier to find.

You didn't do anything wrong. If you've smashed three altars, then you shouldn't have to smash anymore (although you can if you want). I'll let you decide whether you think you should keep looking or not. Maybe it's possible you haven't found any yet. Unlikely, but definitely possible. If I were you, I'd just make another world and fight the Wall of Flesh once again and see if you can get Cobalt (or Palladium, which is the alternative of Cobalt).

As far as the minimap goes, you should be able to spot it if you hover your mouse over it. I don't believe you actually have to discover it before you can see it on the map.

If I what I suggested doesn't help, my best solution is to try troubleshooting the problem some more.

Should have mentioned world size; but no, I'm on a medium world. I've looked in the jungle and a few other mines as well.

are you SURE its cobalt and not palladium, which you may be mistaking as cobalt? i know this is a stupid question but, i had a friend who is a genius but due to him using yellow/orange torches the ores really looked like copper XD

I would seriously recommend a spelunker potion, also go down your elevator to the underworld. It helps me a lot!

I am sure; I got the message "Your world has been blessed with cobalt!" Followed by orichalcum and titanium, then cobalt and orichalcum again for the other two alters I destroyed.

I finally located a small deposit of cobalt near the underworld on my automap; right at the bottom of a lake of lava, as my luck would have it, hahaha. I'll keep looking for more, though since I've found so much orichalcum I might just skip cobalt armor altogether, build a drill as soon as I can, and go straight for orichalcum.

When in doubt, smash ALL the altars.

It's not like you can only have one world, anyways. Worlds are but another tool the game gives you, and they stack to 1000, so why carry only one?

When in doubt, smash ALL the altars.

It's not like you can only have one world, anyways. Worlds are but another tool the game gives you, and they stack to 1000, so why carry only one?
Eh, I guess I am just used to being on an LP, where the mentality is to stick to one world. To me, that would be like playing through EarthBound until Fourside, then quitting and playing on a different save way back in Twoson. Normally, I do go around and import stuff from past worlds, but that is sort of cheating in an LP, going to some late-hardmode world that I have lying around and importing a bunch of Cobalt.

if your already in hardmode, and need ONLY cobalt, it should be easy to make a new world, dig (or bomb) straight down, fight the WoF, and get the cobalt/palladium in that world.

Come to think of it, on my mobile version world, it glitched and didn't spawn ANY altars, so I guess I have to either cheat in Cobalt and all the other ores, or just import from another world, the latter of which I intend to do.

2SEamD4.jpg

I did a recent test of this with the same ores, but this time destroyed 9 altars to make the output more noticeable.

From what I saw, it seemed that cobalt was not forming very often in the underground layer, and not very much in the upper Cavern. When you enter the Lava leveled section of the cavern though, it becomes much more prominent. That seems to coincide about your statement about seeing it near that level.

More testing needs to be done, but in short, look towards lava layer more and often.

However, if you can see it, there is a large amount of Titanium. It isn't forming in large chunks very often, but somehow is being more prominent than Cobalt from what I can see at that level. Then again. Cobalt is spawning at any layer.

(Slight Edit if you cannot see some of the Cobalt, I even could have missed some.)

Last edited:
Smashing five altars? Since the ores work in sets of three, with each altar smash spawning clumps of one ore, you'll only have two altars' worth of cobalt and orichalcum, and one of titanium. That last ore will be really hard to get enough of if you want it.

though since I've found so much orichalcum I might just skip cobalt armor altogether, build a drill as soon as I can, and go straight for orichalcum.

Crimson armour > Cobalt armour. Cobalt is really bad :/

By the way, smashing altars doesn't give you ores in a linear manner. I don't know how much it goes down by, but the amount you get given per altar decreases dramatically and ends up being near nothing by the time you've smashed maybe your 15th altar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom