Game Mechanics Celestial Void Worlds (Post-Moonlord Infinite Gameplay)

Reactorcore

Terrarian
The Problem:

I have an issue with Terraria.

I gather tons of objects, build castles, acquire piles of coins and conquer the land. Then I fight the Moonlord and defeat him. He gives me amazing weapons and tools, but at this point, the Moonlord was the only last challenge left. Theres nothing to use it on, its game over. Sure, I could stay around and beat the dead horse that is my conquered world, but theres no real meaning left. The only real option is to reset and start over. All my loot, castles and wealth are useless and would even be harmful to carry over to the new character in a fresh world.

When this happens, I feel sadness because I'd like to keep enjoying Terraria, but it ran out of meaning, surprise and challenge each time I beat the Moonlord.

This makes me not want to commit to building anything serious in terraria or to get too attached to anything, dimishing my fun and immersion of the game greatly.

I'd like to propose a new gameplay mechanic that serves as a post-Moonlord infinite gameplay extention.

The Story:

You know the legendary celestial armors that you get after the lunar event? Solar, Vortex, Nebula and Stardust armor sets? Well acquiring them makes you a Celestial Hero, lore wise. A hero that can travel to new worlds and defeat evil corruption-inflicted monsters and bosses. So the story is that you're this Hero that goes off to perpetually save the universe, rescue non-combatant terrarians, and cleanse the corruption from the galaxy, one world at a time.

Celestial Portal & Celestial Void Worlds:

The way it would work is that defeating the Moonlord gives you loot that allows the creating of a Celestial Portal. A 5x1 high tech pedestal that once used/activated, allows the user to travel to a newly generated Celestial Void World. Your main world will serve as a permanent hub to where you bring in goodies, build permanent structures, do trading, restock on ammo, potions and consumables, while the Celestial Void Worlds infinitely provides temporary worlds that you go in to conquer and loot.

The Celestial Void Worlds generated by traveling to a new world via the Celestial Portal would be temporary. They're a regularly sized Terraria world of either small, medium or large variety, but the world-generation is off the flippin rails on this one. Vast underground ruins, desolate buildings, sprawling dungeons, twisted caverns, sky islands, castles, space asteroids, villages, mountains, oceans, deserts, new alien biomes, all filled with treasures, enemies, traps and other features that make the primary world look tame in comparison.

Destroyable Hives:

The special thing about these worlds is that they have hives. These hives are destroyable cores of randomized procedurally generated biomes, which are guarded by a powerful randomized procedurally generated bosses that generate an invincibility forcefield for the core as long as they are alive, surrounded by randomized procedurally generated mobs. There may be anywhere from 6-20 hives per each Celestial Void World, scattered randomly across world.

Transmutative Element:

The other special thing is the loot they drop. They drop Transmutative Element. They're like "souls" from Dark Souls games, which are used as currency.
The Transmutative Element is special as it can be traded/crafted into ANY item in the game. The rarity of the item will determine the cost. 1 unit of TE can buy a stack of dirt, while 1000000 TE are required to buy the Ankh Shield or the Portal Gun. You can do the math for everything in between.

TE can be acquired through chests scattered around the Celestial Void Worlds, dropped by mobs in this world and dropped in very large amounts by the bosses of these worlds.

The Goal:

The goal is to use the Celestial Portal to travel to a Celestial Void World, explore and find the hives, destroy each hive along with the bosses that are guarding them, loot everything you want, leave the world, then discard it by generating a new Celestial Void World with the Celestial Portal. This gameplay loop is infinite.

Misc Info:

You may only have one Celestial Void World active at a time. Until all the hives are not destroyed, you cannot generate a new Celestial Void World.

You can always travel back and forth between your main world (where you defeated the moonlord originally) and the current active Celestial Void World, to rest, restock ammo, potions or just spend your hard earned TEs to create anything you want.

There are no advanced armor or weapon tiers, as you already have the best possible equipment. Now its all about skill and strategy of using them. This way each new procedural boss, mob and biome you encounter will remain a fun challenge were you're always equally matched.

Transmutative Elements allows you to acquire materials that may have otherwise become depleted in your main world, like gold, iron or other things that you require for crafting or building cool castles in your main world.

The other thing the Transmutative Element solves is the need to cheat in items or to farm them via RNG. Since you already beat the final boss, you're at your peak and have no need to upgrade the character any longer. You may want to collect every item in the game, so doing so through defeating Celestial Void World hives and spending TEs to acquire missing items instead of relying on RNG to farm them is far more enjoyable.

The whole point of this suggestion is to give meaning to keep an existing character after defeating the Moonlord and have a real use for all the loot I've acquired, while always having something to look forward to. I'd like to be able to play Terraria forever, but without something like this, its just meaningless and hurts enjoyment.

Celestial Void Worlds include regular mobs, blocks and biomes too, not only the randomly generated ones.

I'm intentionally leaving the suggestion vague, only focusing on the general idea, as you may come up with cool aesthetic, technical and visual solutions for the final implementations that are more convinient with the existing terraria codebase.

If Terraria is to be expanded with more progression based updates, this suggestion would be actually far cheaper to implement and provide substantially more value to players, than creating hand-crafted content which would otherwise be exhausted in a matter of minutes. Adding more content and variables to a procedural generator system instead of exponentially multiplies the existing play-time and possibilities.

About randomized procedural generation of bosses, mobs, biomes and worlds:

Bosses in Terraria are already composed of multiple parts and come with various basic behaviours. Using this modular structure of bosses that have a core, with additional attachments that serve different functions, such as protection (armor), an offensive ability (attacks/weapons), a mobility piece (movement, think Plantera's "legs"), it is possible to build a library of boss archetypes (skeletron-like floating bosses, EoW-like worms, Slimeking/Golem-like non-ethereal mega mobs) boss parts (armor parts, weapon parts, movement parts) Boss AI behaviours (stay at a distance, charge at player), Boss decoration pieces and color schemes to make each boss unique and boss stats, strenghts and weaknesses to make each boss an interesting entity, where sometimes they are fast and weak to fire debuffs, while sometimes slow, tanky and can cause certain debuffs on the player with their attacks.

Using these components like Lego bricks, its possible for a randomized procedural generator to create infinite surprising combinations that are interesting to discover and challenge against. See the GDC 2015 talk on procedural generation to understand the potential of Proc Gen:

Same would apply both for mobs, biomes and worlds. Using all the possible variables that the game already contains, it could be easily possible to create infinite content without actually creating infinite content. Furthermore, adding new pieces into the procedural generation will exponentially multiply the amount of combination possible, extending the game's playability value thousand fold.

Neutered Void Biomes: (NEW)

With the addition of infinite procedural biomes, a problem arises of how to store or handle them. Terraria allows the player to dig blocks and collect items, but the procedurally generated blocks for Void Biomes - which contain the destroyable Hives and bosses - means there could be infinite blocks, infinite mobs and infinite items.

The way to solve this issue is that the unique procedural biomes are limited to existing within the current Celestial Void World. Their data is erased and replaced with a new unique procedural product with each new CVW. If the blocks of this biome are mined, dug out or blown up, they'll drop a universal "Neutered Void Biome" equivalent of the item.

If the player picks up and places these blocks obtained from digging the procedural biome from a Celestial Void World either in their main world or another CVW, they'll be able to create a universal artificial biome, where random neutral and friendly mobs spawn instead. These biomes can be used to harvest bugs, small animals and gain other benefits, like having new renewable resources for things that otherwise are finite, such as trees/plants that will yield iron ore and acorns if chopped down.

Wiring mechanism require a lot of iron, gold and other materials, so these can be provided by the neutered void biome to create new kinds of farms to gain these materials.

Sharing:

If you want to see this happen as much as I do, add the link to this thread in your signature:

http://forums.terraria.org/index.ph...worlds-post-moonlord-infinite-gameplay.43969/

Last edited:
which are guarded by a powerful randomized procedurally generated bosses that generate an invincibility forcefield for the core as long as they are alive, surrounded by randomized procedurally generated mobs.
Like, really?

EDIT: The amount of "random" and "procedurally generated" in this sentence is a little bit too high and randomised bosses and enemies may not fit the format of Terraria.

Last edited:
Look, if you don't want to replay Terraria, then don't. That's fine, as many people don't like starting over. If you don't mind starting over, then a good way to make the game fyn, more interesting, and probably longer lasting is by starting playthroughs with self-imposed restrictions. I really want to talk about the suggestion, but I'm on mobile.

Like, really?

Please don't make such content lacking posts as doing so could result in warning marks.

Look, if you don't want to replay Terraria, then don't. That's fine, as many people don't like starting over. If you don't mind starting over, then a good way to make the game fyn, more interesting, and probably longer lasting is by starting playthroughs with self-imposed restrictions. I really want to talk about the suggestion, but I'm on mobile.

Being on mobile or not, if you don't have something to say that is relevant to the suggestion, then please refrain from posting in the thread.

Please don't make such content lacking posts as doing so could result in warning marks.

Being on mobile or not, if you don't have something to say that is relevant to the suggestion, then please refrain from posting in the thread.
Very sorry. Won't happen again.

I actually suggested on something about the portals about a month ago, but I got some negative feed back.

but anyway

I really like the idea of the celestial void. , But one thing I dislike is the transmutative element currency. And I'm pretty sure the player will get bored of destroying the hive all day.

Update: Added "Neutered Void Biomes" section
This solves the problem of unsustainability that infinite content from random procedural generation will result.

@JohnPark, I'm curious to hear why your thoughts on why you dislike the transmutative element currency. I'd like to understand why you feel about it the way you do.

Update: Added "Neutered Void Biomes" section
This solves the problem of unsustainability that infinite content from random procedural generation will result.

@JohnPark, I'm curious to hear why your thoughts on why you dislike the transmutative element currency. I'd like to understand why you feel about it the way you do.
He probably feels that it's a pretty complex and grind-y item, as do I.

I don't understand how it's supposed to be grindy, either. You defeat the Moon Lord and you can create an item that allows you to just randomly generate worlds full of enemies that can stand up to your equipment, and you defeat those enemies and get a new resource you can use to just create.. stuff. Anything.

Need some more potions? Just generate them through the new resource. Angler never gave you that Weather Radio? Make one. Run out of sand? Not anymore.

At its core, its a good idea. It's a very large one though, and likely not something we'd actually see, but it's still something that would be neat.

I don't understand how it's supposed to be grindy, either. You defeat the Moon Lord and you can create an item that allows you to just randomly generate worlds full of enemies that can stand up to your equipment
Well, you'll be fighting the same enemies over and over again. Not only that, it's be faster to just create another world and dig out some sand if you need them.
I don't hate the idea but I'm just trying to suggest it to be better

I feel like this would fit better in a different sandbox game. It just feels too big for the scope of a game like Terraria which has a small dev team and is made to run easily on older hardware. It's a great game idea, of course, but it would just extend the endgame out way too far, and you wouldn't be challenged by too much with how utterly broken most post-Moon Lord gear is. If you've ever played Myst, this is basically what that sort of game would become. It'd get really confusing after a while, and with Terraria's near-infinite content and cool things that can be done in it, adding a literal infinite postgame would be a tad out of character for this game. Honestly though, if this is how Terraria 2 works, I'd be down with that.

I'm confused by the "too big of a scope" comment. The whole point of procedural generation is to do more with less. Its way cheaper. Terraria's world generation uses it. Imagine if Red had to build a large world in Terraria by hand. It would be too time consuming.

I didn't mention this yet, but I whenever a new update for Terraria comes out, its possible to exhaust all the content it offers within a matter of hours or even minutes. I feel a lot of sadness for that, as those updates sometimes take years to develop with tons of time and effort put into them, but their format makes them susceptible to be consumed in a fraction of the time it took to build them.

An automatic random procedural generation could be a far cheaper and more valuable way to expand Terraria's progression, content and play value. Taking into account sustainability when designing these systems, there are no perfomance demanding than what Terraria currently is. After all, Terraria's world generation is one of the biggest features that make it so great, so its particularly out of place in that regard either.

I think it's a great idea to have continued play even after you have seen everything new. However, your suggestion currently demands far more effort than I think the developers can currently afford. But we can keep the meat of your idea while making it much simpler.

First, instead of requiring new portal items, we simply use a mechanic similar to the new option that lets you choose your 'evil type' on world creation, after reaching hardmode at least once. In this case, the option would appear after beating Moon Lord (perhaps only in Expert Mode).

Second, instead of creating a whole new procedural generation system for new biomes, just keep the ones we already have. BUT, take all balancing restraints off the current world generation algorithm, and randomise every parameter. A world without any sky or surface, where you spawn underground - why not? Five dungeons on a world, and the rest dominated by spiders - sure! Hallow replacing the Underworld, no night-time, and 90% of the surface being desert - go for it. Resource balance isn't required, because we assume the character already has high-tier equipment.

Third, instead of hives being a whole biome, just have a new type of altar (let's call it a Hive Altar). There are a few scattered around the world. They can be used to construct just one Boss-Summoning item - lets call it a Suspicious-Looking Mess, to represent what I've done to your idea ;-). It would need a lot of boss-exclusive materials - demonite/crimtane, bottled honey, a Pwnhammer, luminite, etc. This isn't just to make things hard for no reason - I'm trying to address your complaint about how it isn't worth building in your "home" world. If you had to repeatedly fight bosses, it becomes well worthwhile building sophisticated arenas in your home.

What does the Suspicious-Looking Mess summon? Again, asking the developers to create a whole procedural boss generation system may be too much - but you can probably get a lot of fun by just randomly mashing up existing bosses, monsters and events, and upgrading the stats to be worthy of post-Moon-Lord players. Perhaps an Eye of Cthulhu that shoots hornets instead of eyes, and has one of the Twins as its second stage; a Goblin Invasion that features super-powered skeletons instead of goblins; or a Destroyer that breaks apart like Eater of Worlds, and summons dozens of extra Probes from off-screen. There's still significant work for this; but at least it doesn't require extra spriting or AI, while still giving players a huge variety of random bosses to fight.

Thematically, I like your idea of "cleaning up" all the other worlds by destroying the hives; perhaps it could still be the goal to smash all the Hive altars. But it might get tedious searching an entire world for the last one, so perhaps you just need to kill a boss once on each world. Add in some achievements and/or fancy trophies for beating 1, 5, 10, etc. Celestial Void Worlds, and I think there's enough to keep players entertained for a long time.

Sorry for highjacking your idea at such length; I was half tempted to start my own thread, but since I haven't even reached Moon Lord yet, I thought it might be rather presumptuous to claim I knew what would be good for afterwards.

This is awesome. This is one of the reasons the game lacks so much. Is it something that could fit in to the game, though (size wise)?
Maybe I should make my own post-Moonlord suggestion....

Back
Top Bottom