Contest [Challenge] Rain detector

I think naturally-spawning Earth Worms might be a more practical solution? 🤔 🍵
  1. I'm not sure if they can fit in one-tile-high spaces, even though their size suggests it.
  2. There's too many other Mobs that compete with Fish Critters during Rain Events to sus them out reliably enough (if they aren't also just flat-out killed).
  3. I was also considering Flying Fish Mobs, but I don't think there's anything unique enough about them that'll keep any sensors from confusing them with Demon Eyes and other similar enemies.
  4. *EDIT* However, if your plan is to have the machine always running, and you're planning to sort-out any detection(s) of the Fish actually walking, rather than flopping around on dirt, that could work?

I think naturally-spawning Earth Worms might be a more practical solution? 🤔 🍵
  1. I'm not sure if they can fit in one-tile-high spaces, even though their size suggests it.
  2. There's too many other Mobs that compete with Fish Critters during Rain Events to sus them out reliably enough (if they aren't also just flat-out killed).
  3. I was also considering Flying Fish Mobs, but I don't think there's anything unique enough about them that'll keep any sensors from confusing them with Demon Eyes and other similar enemies.
  4. *EDIT* However, if your plan is to have the machine always running, and you're planning to sort-out any detection(s) of the Fish actually walking, rather than flopping around on dirt, that could work?
I was thinking of using a fish statue that sorts the walking fish from the flipping fish. I think that would be the easiest way but naturally spawning earth worms might also work too.

But the flipping fish would turn into evil fish in blood moons so not 100% reliable

NPC's will warp to their homes when it's raining, so if you set a pressure plate right under the spot where they stand, have a daytime sensor so it won't trigger at night, and make sure the NPC can't reach their home, then you have a sort of daytime rain check.

Ofc, there are other situations where NPC's may seek shelter, and it won't work at night, so it's not completely reliable either

8477C783-EDBC-4720-8F1A-F5DCE65BC835.png
F523CD26-E6F2-4ECA-ACD3-C6FA80D7076D.png

I made these but they only sort of work and are kinda slow. I put it on a 1 minute timer so every minute it checks for rain. It doesn’t work in a blood moon tho

There's a few things I can suggest that might "speed-up" detection, but it depends on the ability of Walking Fish.
  • If Walking Fish are able to leap-up to at least one-tile-high structures, you can separate the Flopping Fish from the Walkers.
  • Afterward, it might be possible to "dolly" the Walking Fish to the pressure plates faster using HOIKs [eww, I actually said HOIKs 🤢].
  • Lastly, if the Blood Moon make Walking Fish more frequent or "aggressive", you can simply set the contraption to "false alarm" during a Blood Moon using the Logic Gates/ Lamps [which will be the tricky part, but your timer idea should help with trafficking the Fish properly].

A rain detector I made almost a year ago, it only works when you're nearby of course but it is arguably practical for a regular playthrough. Building one near a cavern farm would allow you to see when it starts raining without having to constantly check the weather radio display.
Video of rain detector
I have made several NPC clocks before, and I did come up with a design for a modified NPC clock that would also check for rain, which would work no matter where you are in the world, but it would only work if the rain started during the day. Never actually built it yet though.

A rain detector I made almost a year ago, it only works when you're nearby of course but it is arguably practical for a regular playthrough. Building one near a cavern farm would allow you to see when it starts raining without having to constantly check the weather radio display.
Video of rain detector
I have made several NPC clocks before, and I did come up with a design for a modified NPC clock that would also check for rain, which would work no matter where you are in the world, but it would only work if the rain started during the day. Never actually built it yet though.
That's awesome. The NPC idea is pretty cool but don't npcs also go inside during events?

just put a goldfish in a dome and when it stands up on the ground a pressure plate goes off which is linked to a dynamite that blows up your house. that way, it is very easy to tell when it is raining.

Back
Top Bottom