NPCs & Enemies Changes to Golem to make him actually Challanging

Tanukimario

The Destroyer
Now its no secret the Golem is an absolute Pushover. This is maily due to his attacks beeing weak and easy to avoid.
Because of this, i came up with some new attacks instead of just giving the jumping pile of mud some buffs to hp and dmg.

1. - Hands​

Golems Hands are a pretty minor part of the fight. To fix this i propose the following:
- Golems Hands have to be defeated before the Head can be damaged
- After defeat the Hands no detach from Golem and start attacking the player for the rest of the fight using the following attacks (in that order)
- Cross Chop the player (indicated by short lines) ~ 4x
- Slam into the Ground that causes Lizhard-Brick colored Boulders to fall from the ceiling (there is a 6 tile-wide opening without boulders, dangerous spots are indicated by orange squares)
- Short 2.5s Rest

2. - Head​

The Head of Golem, while beeing a big part of the Fight, is realy just a minor inconvenience that deals a bit of damage on top of the Body.
To make it more that that, i propose:
- after fiering small beams for 6s its fiering rate will speed up by 100% over 5s before merging the Lasers into a Lizhard Energy Discharge Ray (essentialy a deathray)
that does a 270° rotation towards the player, dealing 100dmg

3. - Body​

Golems Body is Golems main Bodypart. Although this is the case it has less health than the Head which causes the fight to be over already, once its damageable.
So, here are the changes i came up with:
- after attaking for 7 seconds, it fires 13-22 Spiky balls with a decent spread
- once reaching 0.1% hp Golem will proceed into a "desperation phase" of sorts where he charges up a Lizhard Energy Overload Discharge Pulse that deals 300dmg to everything in a radius of 20 blocks
- after this Golem will instantly die

4. - Other​

- Golem is now immune to: Ichor, Cursed Flame, Acid Venom, Frostbite and Electrified
- On Legendary Mode the Deathray will turn 720°

Hmm... overall, I like this idea. I think leaning into the concept of Golem breaking apart as it fights is a good idea. It also makes the boss into a positioning fight, sort of like Empress of Light, where its attacks are always consistent and thus could be dodged perfectly if you got enough practice. A couple of things I don't agree with, though. I don't think the hands calling boulders is a good call; just give them another attack instead. Maybe their pattern could be attacking from opposite sides twice, then crossing twice, then attacking vertically, then a ground slam that does a shock wave that will damage the player if they're on the ground. It would also be good if Golem always jumped shortly after this attack was done.

I also don't like the death ray. Golem doesn't have any "big attacks," instead favoring quick ones, and I think he should stay that way. I actually think Golem's head is fine as-is when considering the rest of these changes; if anything, you might want to nerf the bouncing fireballs, because those would make positioning around the rest of Golem's attacks much less consistent in a way that doesn't seem fun.

With that in mind, the spiky balls attack is iffy. Would these be bouncy, or would they just cover the ground? If they bounce, they might remove the consistency that this fight would otherwise gain from the changes to the hands, and that's conflicting design. And the 300 damage pulse attack is just cheap. Sure, almost nobody would ever see the attack because Golem would be a few hits away from death at the time, but if you did get hit by it you'd be furious, since you'd probably die and lose out on the victory.

I honestly think that many things in Post Plantera progression should be fixed.

Golem and Lunatic Cultist are extremely easy for late game bosses, and pillar weapons are too easy to get for how strong they are. Look, pillar weapons being strong isnt bad, the problem is how easy it is to get them.

Making Golem more difficult will be a good change, but don't expect for Post-Plantera progression to be instantly fixed after doing so.

Hell yeah, buff Golem he really needs to be strong.

Golem and Lunatic Cultist are extremely easy for late game bosses,
Probably a hot take, I think the LC being easy is fine, because he preceeds the pretty harsh Celestial Pillars and the even harder Moon Lord. Making the start of the chain easier is reasonable.

Probably a hot take, I think the LC being easy is fine, because he preceeds the pretty harsh Celestial Pillars and the even harder Moon Lord. Making the start of the chain easier is reasonable.
It is not okay to me and many people because the second last boss in the game is extremely easy. There is a possibility that a new player defeats him with underprepared gear and gets stuck with the pillars in their world, y'know.
There are more problems in Post Plantera progression though, this isnt just one.

It is not okay to me and many people because the second last boss in the game is extremely easy. There is a possibility that a new player defeats him with underprepared gear and gets stuck with the pillars in their world, y'know.
There are more problems in Post Plantera progression though, this isnt just one.
It's fine. I personally see him as more of a "summoning method" like finding x decor tile or crafting x item but it's fighting an enemy instead, but I get what you mean.

Now its no secret the Golem is an absolute Pushover. This is maily due to his attacks beeing weak and easy to avoid.
Because of this, i came up with some new attacks instead of just giving the jumping pile of mud some buffs to hp and dmg.

1. - Hands​

Golems Hands are a pretty minor part of the fight. To fix this i propose the following:
- Golems Hands have to be defeated before the Head can be damaged
- After defeat the Hands no detach from Golem and start attacking the player for the rest of the fight using the following attacks (in that order)
- Cross Chop the player (indicated by short lines) ~ 4x
- Slam into the Ground that causes Lizhard-Brick colored Boulders to fall from the ceiling (there is a 6 tile-wide opening without boulders, dangerous spots are indicated by orange squares)
- Short 2.5s Rest

2. - Head​

The Head of Golem, while beeing a big part of the Fight, is realy just a minor inconvenience that deals a bit of damage on top of the Body.
To make it more that that, i propose:
- after fiering small beams for 6s its fiering rate will speed up by 100% over 5s before merging the Lasers into a Lizhard Energy Discharge Ray (essentialy a deathray)
that does a 270° rotation towards the player, dealing 100dmg

3. - Body​

Golems Body is Golems main Bodypart. Although this is the case it has less health than the Head which causes the fight to be over already, once its damageable.
So, here are the changes i came up with:
- after attaking for 7 seconds, it fires 13-22 Spiky balls with a decent spread
- once reaching 0.1% hp Golem will proceed into a "desperation phase" of sorts where he charges up a Lizhard Energy Overload Discharge Pulse that deals 300dmg to everything in a radius of 20 blocks
- after this Golem will instantly die

4. - Other​

- Golem is now immune to: Ichor, Cursed Flame, Acid Venom, Frostbite and Electrified
- On Legendary Mode the Deathray will turn 720°
I like this idea and it goes well. But in one of my playthroughs, the chamber was smaller than a freaking speedrun house(not literally), and it was incredibly challenging. And in another it was massive and was an absolute breeze

Back
Top Bottom