Game Mechanics Clentaminator can transform Altars / Hearts / Orbs

Sigma90

Brain of Cthulhu
A quick bit of background: In one of my worlds, I used the Clentaminator and Purple Solution and sprayed a section of Crimson to make it Corruption. For me, this is a museum-type world; I want it to have everything possible. But it's a Crimson world, so I can't get Demon Altars or Shadow Orbs in the area.
In another world I generated, two Crimson biomes crossed over. At the point of intersection, a Demon Altar was created. (All other altars were Crimson Altars.) So based on this, I am assuming that the game engine and world files are capable of distinguishing the two altar types and do not revert to something like "altar + world is crimson = Crimson Altar".

Putting those two thoughts together gives the suggestion: Make it so that the Clentaminator, in conjunction with Red or Purple Solution, can convert Crimson Altars to Demon Altars (and vice versa), and can convert Shadow Orbs to Crimson Hearts (and vice versa).
- An Orb / Heart must be placed on a background wall. Its type can be based on the background wall - is it a Crimson Wall (Flesh Wall?) or a Demonite Wall? Since the wall and Orb / Heart are both broken with the hammer, it'd be impossible to have an Orb / Heart floating on nothing.
- There would still only be one counter common to both. Break two Crimson Hearts and then a Shadow Orb and an Eater of Worlds would spawn.
- An Altar's type could be based on the blocks beneath it. (Since the blocks can't be removed while the Altar is present.) If Crimson / Corrupt grass has grown, it's a Crimson / Demon Altar respectively. If there is Crimstone or Ebonstone beneath it, it's a Crimson or Demon Altar, respectively.
- If no such information is available, the Altar type and whether Crimson Heart or Shadow Orb can default to the "Is world Crimson?" flag (e.g. if a player sprayed Green Solution)

Why bother using the Clentaminator? Because it's already capable of changing stone and background wall type. Allowing it to change altars and Hearts / Orbs seems like a natural extension of its functionality.

I acknowledge this would have little to no 'real' effect on gameplay / progression. But for those that want to truly convert an area between Crimson <-> Corruption, such a thing could be very desirable. So this suggestion is aimed more towards collectors, world showcasing, builders, and so on.

And what if i spray an Altar with blue solution ? .. A hallowed altar ? maybe to craft excalibur ? You know that the night's edge is crafted on a demon alter so it's counterpart excalibur would be crafted on the counterpart altar.

Last edited:
I agree. I think this would be a profound extension of its natural use.
You have my support!

Not really much of a reason to add it...

But absolutely no reason to not add it!
Support!
And what if i spray an Altar with blue solution ? .. A hallowed altar ? maybe to craft excalibur ? You know that the night's edge is crafted on a demon alter so it's counterpart excalibur would be crafted on the counterpart altar.
If no such information is available, the Altar type and whether Crimson Heart or Shadow Orb can default to the "Is world Crimson?" flag (e.g. if a player sprayed Green Solution)
It would turn the altar to the worlds default.

I rather like this idea, and further ideas of being able to convert the altar to holy (hallowed), pure (purity), verdant (jungle), and fungal (glowing mushroom) altars. This'd be especially nice if we could get white/yellow solution for the clentaminator and make frigid (snow) and arid (desert) altars. And having the hearts/orbs replaced with pearls(hallow)/geodes(purity)/fruit(jungle)/puffball shrooms(mushroom)/ice crystals(snow)/gold scarabs(desert) would be awesome, too. But I have a bad habit of trying to add too much to other people's suggestions. So just let it be known that I support the original suggestion and the version with my stupid number of additions.

I thought it worth noting that I would be -against- having the newly-converted orbs drop alternate items. This would end up serving to punish players for not metagaming and waiting until they have the clentaminator to break the orbs, and I haaaate games that punish you for not metagaming and reading a wiki before playing. Especially games that are supposed to be about exploration like terraria. Ok, well, converting them to crimson/corruption changing the drops would be fine but making new drops for hallow/pure/jungle/shrom/snow/desert ones would not, since those items would not be available in pre-hardmode, and would -have- to be hardmode gear to be worth waiting until hardmode to gather, meaning you have the choice of either gimping yourself now or later. Totes not fun. TL;DR: only change drops for a crimson/corruption change, keep them same as world default otherwise, please.

Last edited:
No because there're ways to turn it to a crimson or corruption altars .
That sentence doesn't make sense to me. Yes it can be crimson or corruption, that doesn't mean it has to be hallowed.
Yes ! that would open a door for new craftable tools , weapons and equipments.
yes lots of new tools weapons and equipments that are A: Unneeded and B: Really annoying to get, because you would have to save like 10 demon altars to change into other biome altars and if you destroyed them you couldn't craft the items, or you could save one and change it when you needed but that would just be an inconvenience.

That sentence doesn't make sense to me. Yes it can be crimson or corruption, that doesn't mean it has to be hallowed.
Well i just suggested a suggestion and didn't say that it's a must .. so your sentence doesn't make sense to me because it's useless/based on an a misunderstanding.
yes lots of new tools weapons and equipments that are A: Unneeded and B: Really annoying to get, because you would have to save like 10 demon altars to change into other biome altars and if you destroyed them you couldn't craft the items, or you could save one and change it when you needed but that would just be an inconvenience.
I never managed to destroy all the demon altars of any world of mine , though i got tons of harmode ores , Problem Solved.

Last edited:
I am not suggesting new altars, destructibles, items and so on. Just the ability to convert Crimson <-> Demon Altars and Crimson Hearts <-> Shadow Orbs. In my view, spraying an altar with Green (purify) or Blue (Hallowed) solution would cause the altar to revert to its default form. Dark Blue (mushroom) solution wouldn't have an effect because Crimson / Corruption does not spread through mud. (It needs to convert the mud to dirt first.)

Just trying to keep things simple. Discussions of new altars and items might be best in a new thread... but having said that, it might be nice to have them! :)

Wait- the altars changed at the point of intersection? Odd.

Anyways, a great idea- don't know why altars don't do that.
My understanding is that each Crimson biome has an underground tunnel area. It looks like two Crimson biomes were generated on top of each other, so the underground areas intersected. At roughly the point halfway between the two underground areas, a Demon Altar was created. (I'll post a screenshot later when I have access to it.)

Just trying to keep things simple. Discussions of new altars and items might be best in a new thread... but having said that, it might be nice to have them!
Agreed. Although it'd be very nice to see a new range of different alters, orbs, tools, weapons, armor, Ect.... For the sake of the 1.3 update already being presumably delayed, lets just keep it simple.
And that should be the suggestion of a new thread.

Still whether or not this gets implemented. I'm not complaining what so ever.
Support

Back
Top Bottom