Game Mechanics Clentaminator changes type of torch

Why would they do that if it no longer has negative effects? Does it bother you?
Because in terms of numbers not having a bonus is the same thing as suffering a penalty. Does it not bother you just because of what it's called?

Because in terms of numbers not having a bonus is the same thing as suffering a penalty. Does it not bother you just because of what it's called?
No, that's the point. Not having the bonus is the default state of the game - as it was before. So no one suffering any punishment. You won't complain that you don't get buff to stats and regen without "well fed" buff, no? But having a "well fed" buff gives you a bonus.
So torch luck is just that - a little extra buff, that you can chose to have. Or chose to not have - and not get any extra buffs but also not get any debuffs.

No, that's the point. Not having the bonus is the default state of the game - as it was before. So no one suffering any punishment. You won't complain that you don't get buff to stats and regen without "well fed" buff, no? But having a "well fed" buff gives you a bonus.
So torch luck is just that - a little extra buff, that you can chose to have. Or chose to not have - and not get any extra buffs but also not get any debuffs.
Actually yes, I do dislike the fact that I have lower stats without applying buffs. If it were up to me, I'd remove all temporary buffs. Or rather I'd make all of them permanent.
Again, in terms of numbers, not having a bonus until you buff yourself is exactly the same as suffering a penalty until you cure yourself. If calling it one rather than the other is enough to mollify you, that's on you. I'm not that easily manipulated.

Actually yes, I do dislike the fact that I have lower stats without applying buffs. If it were up to me, I'd remove all temporary buffs.
So invalidate all mining, completely remove the challenge from reaching floating islands, and make building an arena for the wall of flesh completely pointless? Sure, that seems like a wonderful idea.

Temporary buffs are an amazing addition imo, it's basically the ability to give yourself a free accessory effect without using up the slot. They're already very powerful, and the fact that they're optional means that you can improve your chances against enemies and grinding if you aren't able to do them first try.

So invalidate all mining, completely remove the challenge from reaching floating islands
Journey mode already does those things. You start out with infinite ropes, and you only need to mine a little bit of each material before you can likewise duplicate it infinitely. So yes, it is a wonderful idea, so wonderful the devs came up with it themselves.

make building an arena for the wall of flesh completely pointless?
Good lord, yes. There are many reasons why I enjoy playing Terraria, but building ugly bridges out of dirt across half the map is not one of them.

Temporary buffs are an amazing addition imo, it's basically the ability to give yourself a free accessory effect without using up the slot.
That is true. Now imagine how much better they'd be if they were permanent.

Journey mode already does those things. You start out with infinite ropes, and you only need to mine a little bit of each material before you can likewise duplicate it infinitely. So yes, it is a wonderful idea, so wonderful the devs came up with it themselves.

Good lord, yes. There are many reasons why I enjoy playing Terraria, but building ugly horizontal bridges out of dirt across half the map is not one of them.

That is true. Now imagine how much better they'd be if they were permanent.
Journey mode is meant to be for people who want to skip specific parts of the game. You basically can unlock permanent buffs by researching every ingredient for the potion anyway. If you want the game to be easier and to grind less... then pick the mode that makes the game easier and lets you grind less.

Journey mode has God Mode, so it’s not like people who don’t care about balance aren’t the perfect fit for it anyway. It’s a mode designed to be free of balance, and that sounds exactly like what you want.

Journey mode is meant to be for people who want to skip specific parts of the game.
Yes, that is exactly why buffs should be permanent in it.

You basically can unlock permanent buffs by researching every ingredient for the potion anyway.
Yes, but you still have to keep duplicating those potions and refreshing the buffs. Crafting potions and strategically using them is resource management in regular mode; in Journey mode, where they're free, it's nothing other than a tedious annoyance. I don't want tedious annoyances in my games, which is why I think the buffs should be permanent.

Journey mode has God Mode, so it’s not like people who don’t care about balance aren’t the perfect fit for it anyway. It’s a mode designed to be free of balance, and that sounds exactly like what you want.
You misunderstand. I do want balance, I just don't want fun being 'balanced' by tedium and annoyance. Journey mode does a great job removing a lot of that from Terraria, but it could still go further.

Yes, that is exactly why buffs should be permanent in it.

Yes, but you still have to keep duplicating those potions and refreshing the buffs. Crafting potions and strategically using them is resource management in regular mode; in Journey mode, where they're free, it's nothing other than a tedious annoyance. I don't want tedious annoyances in my games, which is why I think the buffs should be permanent.

You misunderstand. I do want balance, I just don't want fun being 'balanced' by tedium and annoyance. Journey mode does a great job removing a lot of that from Terraria, but it could still go further.
You can’t expect me to know any of that if you literally never stated that you only wanted them to be permanent in journey mode. I, for one, enjoy fishing, and I enjoy growing alchemy plants because I don’t have to wait for them and can do other things instead (plus if you have a big enough greenhouse you only have to hunt down the ingredients which are fun to get anyway)

It’s fine if it’s a journey exclusive thing. Just don’t add it to the other modes and remove hundreds of items from the game.

Last edited:
Nobody said anything about removing items. You seem very fond of putting words into other people's mouths.
If buff potions were removed, you’d have to remove every food item, the buff potions, every ingredient, and probably bottled water. That’s hundreds of items.
Also:
If it were up to me, I'd remove all temporary buffs.
I wouldn’t call that “putting words in your mouth”

If buff potions were removed, you’d have to remove every food item, the buff potions, every ingredient, and probably bottled water. That’s hundreds of items.
Nobody said anything about removing buff potions.

Also:
If it were up to me, I'd remove all temporary buffs.
Nowhere in that did I mention removing items. Also, maybe try reading the sentence that immediately follows:
Or rather I'd make all of them permanent.
So yes, you are putting words in my mouth, by selectively ignoring parts of what I said to change the meaning of the rest.

Nowhere in that did I mention removing items. Also, maybe try reading the sentence that immediately follows:
I'm so sorry that the meaning I inferred from "remove temporary buffs" was "remove temporary buffs".
So yes, you are putting words in my mouth, by selectively ignoring parts of what I said to change the meaning of the rest.
Saying "or rather" means that both options would be viable, but you prefer the latter. It doesn't mean that the former option is entirely out of the question.

But while you think I'm putting words in your mouth:
I'd remove all temporary buffs. Actually, forget that, I'd make all of them permanent.
Is this what you were trying to say?

Also:

Overall the discussion has shifted away from the Clentaminator converting torches to about Journey's End balance. Because potion buffs are not the topic of this thread, it is best to drop the discussion to return to the main topic.

In regards to your posts to each other, I want to make it clear that neither of you have broken any rules. But your discussion is getting heated towards each other to the degree it could risk debating the person rather than the topic and getting into personal attack territory. I ask for both of you to take a step back so it doesn't come to that.

Back
Top Bottom