Weapons & Equip Combat-adapted Boss Masks

Good idea?

• Yep!

Votes: 20 64.5%
  • Perhaps, but I don't think it'll be in the game.

Votes: 9 29.0%
  • Nah.

Votes: 2 6.5%

• Total voters

Baconfry

Terrarian
This one's pretty huge, so bear with me.

Here's how it works. After Plantera is defeated, the Witch Doctor will take on a new function. Maybe I'll call it "Appraise". It looks kind of like the Tinkerer's reforge slot, but costs 1 Platinum. When you hit the button, any boss mask can be replaced with the respective boss helm.

What are these, you ask?

They're the head pieces of my new summoner armor set, Transforming Armor. Unlike other summoner armors, it does not increase minion capacity. Why not? Because the set bonuses themselves already involve minion-like entities.

To save myself a little trouble, I'll list the properties common to all the helms.
9 defense
+15% summon damage
+30% summon damage when max health is below 33% (pinch)

Let's roll.

And yes, the set bonus bosses are miniature.

Eye of Cthulhu Helm
(Recolored Twins Mask with EoC colors, becomes normal EoC Mask sprite during pinch)
Mini EoC appears above your head. 4 Servants (28 dmg) follow you as minions.
Pinch: EoC charges enemies (45 dmg).

King Slime Helm
King Slime follows player as a minion (40 dmg). Releases 2 kamikaze slimes every (2+(4*(currentHP/maxHP))) seconds (29 dmg). Maximum of 4 may exist. And they die automatically after 4 seconds.
Pinch: Releases 3 kamikaze slimes per interval, and maximum of 8 may exist.

Eater of Worlds Helm
Eater of Worlds tightly circles player. (47 dmg)
Pinch: EoW splits into 4 segments, which pursue nearby enemies, passing through walls (40 dmg).

Brain of Cthulhu Helm
(New enraged brain sprite used for pinch)
Brain of Cthulhu appears above your head, sending 4 Creepers after enemies (30 dmg).
Pinch: BoC enrages and teleports directly to enemies dealing constant damage (42 dmg).

Queen Bee Helm
Queen Bee appears above your head, shooting stingers at enemies (32 dmg). Constantly releases bees (25 dmg, same mechanics as Bee Gun) as long as fewer than 4 exist.
Pinch: Maximum number of bees increased to 8. Grants Honey Regeneration.

Skeletron Helm
Skeletron head appears above your head. Skeletron hands swipe at nearby enemies (38 dmg).
Pinch: Skeletron head spins and targets nearby enemies (45 dmg).

Wall of Flesh Helm
Ball of Flesh appears above your head (2 eyes, one mouth). Eyes constantly shoot single-piercing lasers (27 dmg) with equivalent use time (10+(20*(currentHP/maxHP))). Movement speed is increased by (40*((maxHP-currentHP)/maxHP)) percent. 4 Hungry appear attached to the mouth by a tether (39 dmg), attacking nearby enemies.
Pinch: Hungry detach from mouth. Mouth launches leeches (work like downgraded Sharkrons, 28 dmg).

Destroyer Helm
Destroyer tightly circles player (42 dmg). Fires single-piercing lasers from body segments (29 dmg). Additional probe (29 dmg) is released upon reaching 80%, 60%, 40%, and 20% HP.
Pinch: laser fire rate increases by 50%.

Twins Helm
(New sprites used for pinch)
One of the Twins appears above your head. Toggle by right-clicking the buff icon. (It’s an armor-associated buff, so this doesn’t normally cancel them.)
Spazmatism: Launches Cursed fireballs at enemies, inflicting Cursed Inferno. (43 dmg)
Retinazer: Shoots pale piercing lasers with use time 20 (30 dmg).
Pinch:
Spazmatism: Torches enemies with Eye Fire (32 dmg).
Retinazer: Red lasers are fired, use time halved.

Skeletron Prime Helm
Skeletron Prime head appears above your head.
Prime Saw attempts to quickly deal constant damage to a single enemy (26 dmg).
Prime Vice attempts to swipe multiple enemies (35 dmg).
Prime Cannon shoots exploding cannonballs (50 dmg).
Prime Laser shoots red lasers with use time 20 (28 dmg).
Pinch: Skeletron Prime head starts spinning and targeting nearby enemies (48 dmg).

Plantera Helm
(New sprite used for pinch)
Plantera appears above your head.
Plantera rapidly shoots non-piercing petals at enemies (33 dmg).
Pinch: 4 Plantera’s Tentacles appear and target nearby enemies (36 dmg). Plantera occasionally launches a large pink bouncing spiked ball (60 dmg).

Golem Helm
Golem follows as a minion (42 dmg). Fires wall-piercing eye lasers (30 dmg), bouncing fireballs (40 dmg), and punches enemies (52 dmg).
Pinch: Golem head appears above your head. Fires two eye lasers instead of one. Golem body follows as a minion.

Duke Fishron Helm
(Glowing eyes sprite used during pinch)
Duke Fishron appears above your head. Fires homing detonating bubbles (31 dmg).
Pinch: Drops Cthulhunado every 20 seconds (60 contact dmg, 43 Sharkron dmg). Cthulhunado lasts 10 seconds.

Every single one of these completes the Transforming Armor set.

Transforming Chestplate
20 Ectoplasm
1 Transparent Scale
14 defense
+10% summon damage

Transforming Leggings
15 Ectoplasm
1 Transparent Scale
10 defense
+10% summon damage

Transparent Scale
50% drop from Pigron

Transforming Armor’s item sprite is only shown when no Boss Helm is equipped. Depending on which Boss Helm is equipped, it may take one of twelve new sprites corresponding to that Helm's design.

How did I do?

Last edited:
This looks and sounds really interesting, and I would love to see something like this in game.
Does the Helm generally look different from the Mask? Also, what would the Transforming Chestplate and Leggings look like if no Boss Helm were equipped (would it be transparent)?

This one's pretty huge, so bear with me.

Here's how it works. After Plantera is defeated, the Witch Doctor will take on a new function. Maybe I'll call it "Appraise". It looks kind of like the Tinkerer's reforge slot, but costs 1 Platinum. When you hit the button, any boss mask can be replaced with the respective boss helm.

What are these, you ask?

They're the head pieces of my new summoner armor set, Transforming Armor. Unlike other summoner armors, it does not increase minion capacity. Why not? Because the set bonuses themselves already involve minion-like entities.

To save myself a little trouble, I'll list the properties common to all the helms.
9 defense
+15% summon damage
+30% summon damage when max health is below 33% (pinch)

Let's roll.

And yes, the set bonus bosses are miniature.

Eye of Cthulhu Helm
(Recolored Twins Mask with EoC colors, becomes normal EoC Mask sprite during pinch)
Mini EoC appears above your head. 4 Servants (28 dmg) follow you as minions.
Pinch: EoC charges enemies (45 dmg).

King Slime Helm
King Slime follows player as a minion (40 dmg). Releases 2 kamikaze slimes every (2+(4*(currentHP/maxHP))) seconds (29 dmg). Maximum of 4 may exist. And they die automatically after 4 seconds.
Pinch: Releases 3 kamikaze slimes per interval, and maximum of 8 may exist.

Eater of Worlds Helm
Eater of Worlds tightly circles player. (47 dmg)
Pinch: EoW splits into 4 segments, which pursue nearby enemies, passing through walls (40 dmg).

Brain of Cthulhu Helm
(New enraged brain sprite used for pinch)
Brain of Cthulhu appears above your head, sending 4 Creepers after enemies (30 dmg).
Pinch: BoC enrages and teleports directly to enemies dealing constant damage (42 dmg).

Queen Bee Helm
Queen Bee appears above your head, shooting stingers at enemies (32 dmg). Constantly releases bees (25 dmg, same mechanics as Bee Gun) as long as fewer than 4 exist.
Pinch: Maximum number of bees increased to 8. Grants Honey Regeneration.

Skeletron Helm
Skeletron head appears above your head. Skeletron hands swipe at nearby enemies (38 dmg).
Pinch: Skeletron head spins and targets nearby enemies (45 dmg).

Wall of Flesh Helm
Ball of Flesh appears above your head (2 eyes, one mouth). Eyes constantly shoot single-piercing lasers (27 dmg) with equivalent use time (10+(20*(currentHP/maxHP))). Movement speed is increased by (40*((maxHP-currentHP)/maxHP)) percent. 4 Hungry appear attached to the mouth by a tether (39 dmg), attacking nearby enemies.
Pinch: Hungry detach from mouth. Mouth launches leeches (work like downgraded Sharkrons, 28 dmg).

Destroyer Helm
Destroyer tightly circles player (42 dmg). Fires single-piercing lasers from body segments (29 dmg). Additional probe (29 dmg) is released upon reaching 80%, 60%, 40%, and 20% HP.
Pinch: laser fire rate increases by 50%.

Twins Helm
(New sprites used for pinch)
One of the Twins appears above your head. Toggle by right-clicking the buff icon. (It’s an armor-associated buff, so this doesn’t normally cancel them.)
Spazmatism: Launches Cursed fireballs at enemies, inflicting Cursed Inferno. (43 dmg)
Retinazer: Shoots pale piercing lasers with use time 20 (30 dmg).
Pinch:
Spazmatism: Torches enemies with Eye Fire (32 dmg).
Retinazer: Red lasers are fired, use time halved.

Skeletron Prime Helm
Skeletron Prime head appears above your head.
Prime Saw attempts to quickly deal constant damage to a single enemy (26 dmg).
Prime Vice attempts to swipe multiple enemies (35 dmg).
Prime Cannon shoots exploding cannonballs (50 dmg).
Prime Laser shoots red lasers with use time 20 (28 dmg).
Pinch: Skeletron Prime head starts spinning and targeting nearby enemies (48 dmg).

Plantera Helm
(New sprite used for pinch)
Plantera appears above your head.
Plantera rapidly shoots non-piercing petals at enemies (33 dmg).
Pinch: 4 Plantera’s Tentacles appear and target nearby enemies (36 dmg). Plantera occasionally launches a large pink bouncing spiked ball (60 dmg).

Golem Helm
Golem follows as a minion (42 dmg). Fires wall-piercing eye lasers (30 dmg), bouncing fireballs (40 dmg), and punches enemies (52 dmg).
Pinch: Golem head appears above your head. Fires two eye lasers instead of one. Golem body follows as a minion.

Duke Fishron Helm
(Glowing eyes sprite used during pinch)
Duke Fishron appears above your head. Fires homing detonating bubbles (31 dmg).
Pinch: Drops Cthulhunado every 20 seconds (60 contact dmg, 43 Sharkron dmg). Cthulhunado lasts 10 seconds.

Every single one of these completes the Transforming Armor set.

Transforming Chestplate
20 Ectoplasm
1 Transparent Scale
14 defense
+10% summon damage

Transforming Leggings
15 Ectoplasm
1 Transparent Scale
10 defense
+10% summon damage

Transparent Scale
50% drop from Pigron

Transforming Armor’s item sprite is only shown when no Boss Helm is equipped. Depending on which Boss Helm is equipped, it may take one of twelve new sprites corresponding to that Helm's design.

How did I do?
Like it, but after making the helm, get the witch doctor to 'enchant' it for the classes. Other than that, full support

BEWARE: POST 13

i dont really understand why these are neccesary. we already have summoner armor, you can wear boss masks in the social slot, and there are already boss minions. making a new type of summon style involving nothing but helmets(each of which costs a whole platinum) seems kinda odd. i don't really understand the main point, boss masks are supposed to be just fun vanity items, making them upgradeable into very specialized summon helmets would be kinda weird. if what you want is boss themed minions, then why not just make boss-themed summon staffs?

BEWARE: POST 13

i dont really understand why these are neccesary. we already have summoner armor, you can wear boss masks in the social slot, and there are already boss minions. making a new type of summon style involving nothing but helmets(each of which costs a whole platinum) seems kinda odd. i don't really understand the main point, boss masks are supposed to be just fun vanity items, making them upgradeable into very specialized summon helmets would be kinda weird. if what you want is boss themed minions, then why not just make boss-themed summon staffs?
It's because making them boss-themed tends to create a bias toward one powerful minion rather than separate weaker ones. None of these are "necessary", but suggestions rarely are. But at least these would be fun to use. Or am I wrong?

It's because making them boss-themed tends to create a bias toward one powerful minion rather than separate weaker ones. None of these are "necessary", but suggestions rarely are. But at least these would be fun to use. Or am I wrong?

they could be fun to use, but they're kinda confusing. adding a new type of minion just for this seems strange. making more boss-themed summons is cool, but i would just make a bunch of boss style summon weapons that have these special effects, as having a minion automatically summon when you put on the helmet is kinda strange, and something more controllable would be good. and making each one cost 1 platinum and take a boss mask seems pretty expensive, especially if it doesn't give you extra minions of other kinds. and i don't really like the idea of using vanity items to get it.

they could be fun to use, but they're kinda confusing. adding a new type of minion just for this seems strange. making more boss-themed summons is cool, but i would just make a bunch of boss style summon weapons that have these special effects, as having a minion automatically summon when you put on the helmet is kinda strange, and something more controllable would be good.
At some point, you get tired of suggesting new summoning weapons, especially since apparently they all have to end in "staff". Besides, these boss minions logically fit a maximum of one summon, so I don't really agree with making them minion summoners or turrets (they probably have to be mobile, after all).
and making each one cost 1 platinum and take a boss mask seems pretty expensive, especially if it doesn't give you extra minions of other kinds.
If you don't like the price, maybe you could suggest something more reasonable.
and i don't really like the idea of using vanity items to get it.
That's completely subjective, so I can't really say anything about it, sorry.

At some point, you get tired of suggesting new summoning weapons, especially since apparently they all have to end in "staff". Besides, these boss minions logically fit a maximum of one summon, so I don't really agree with making them minion summoners or turrets (they probably have to be mobile, after all).
If you don't like the price, maybe you could suggest something more reasonable.

That's completely subjective, so I can't really say anything about it, sorry.

i don't see why suggesting new summon weapons is tiring, and you don't need to make them staffs. charms, totems, and other things could be used. maybe these could be one-use items similar to the wisp in a bottle, you can only summon one, no matter what armor you have. that might make it slightly unbalanced because people could use extremely strong armor and then summon these, but maybe they could be only summonable if you have at least one summoner armor piece on or be very weak unless you had summoner armor on. making specific armor that requires a vanity item and one platinum, summons one minion and doesn't give a set bonus just seems overly complicated and clunky. i would make it so after plantera is killed you could combine unique boss drops with blank charms, totems, or other things sold by the witch doctor (for maybe 10-20 gold each) to make items that would summon these. if they worked like the wisp in a bottle or flasks, in that only one could be summoned at a time, it would still work pretty much the same.

making specific armor that requires a vanity item and one platinum, summons one minion and doesn't give a set bonus just seems overly complicated and clunky.
It's not really a minion, just like the Leaf Crystal technically isn't a minion. What I could do is give typical summoner stats to the Transforming Chestplate and Leggings, letting the Helmet take care of the unique set bonus. Other summoner sets are kind of boring, too, with simple additions to capacity and damage. You can't really accuse this set of being more dull than existing armors.

If you want to make an independent thread for your own take on this, though, I won't stop you from doing that.

adding more armor pieces other than just a helmet and making it less expensive would be good. oh, and i didn't say it was more dull, just more complicated.

adding more armor pieces other than just a helmet and making it less expensive would be good. oh, and i didn't say it was more dull, just more complicated.
Yeah, complicated... can't help it, adding complication is a nasty side-effect of making a suggestion with this level of detail.

The armor pieces are there, but the only thing is that they're compatible with every boss helmet, changing form to match the helmet. (That information is already in the OP, just making sure you read it.)

Back
Top Bottom