Console 1.3: A Progress Update on the Road to Certification

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quick question. Are the map sizes going to be more in line with the pc version now that older consoles are not getting the patch?

I also asked this a while ago too, hopefully not much has changed from LUA to Unity when PW recoded everything

On a side note I really hope they can change the Pick up text to closer match the PC version, I know they mentioned in the stream that's the closest they could get in parity using unity but I'm sure PW can do better :D
Where are these questions coming from? The only platforms that don't have the same map sizes as everything else are mobile and 3DS. 3DS isn't getting updated, and mobile is too far away for an official answer.

My assumption however is that mobile will still need smaller worlds than the other versions. Who knows though, the One Terraria vision may include making the maps equal too.

Quoting Leinfors:
Wow I would have thought the opposite, last time I even did couch co-op was more than 5 years ago. I would have thought CC would have been the Minority in this.

Terraria doesn't work that way. No matter what resolution you're running at the distance you're allowed to see is fixed. This is mainly because the distance enemies can spawn at has a cap, and the devs don't want you to see these enemies spawning in on screen. So no matter the resolution Terraria scales everything to be about the same size.
Ah thanks, do u think they'll release other world on the 1x though? the last I seen of that game it was quite visually pleasing.

Ah thanks, do u think they'll release other world on the 1x though? the last I seen of that game it was quite visually pleasing.

T:OW, I believe, they were redoing almost completely at the time PipeWorks came on the scene, It could be a very long time before T:OW is completed.

If by "1x" You mean XBox 1, I don't know, Microsoft might have a new Generation of Consoles before it comes out.
(If that isn't what you meant, sorry, and I then don't understand what you mean.)

do u think they'll release other world on the 1x though? the last I seen of that game it was quite visually pleasing.
Supposedly the Xbox One X can run anything the regular xboxes can (and Other World have already been announced for those) so I wouldn't worry. There's a good chance it will have 4K support as well.

I wonder if you actually understand coding and porting enough to call them amateurs.

It's pretty much my daily job to port games to consoles, so I think I'm well versed on that subject.

- Basic/obvious bugs can literally be fixed in one build, then crop back up in the next. Coding is not simple when you have a team working on a project. Nobody is working on self contained code. Anyone can introduce simple bugs in the process of fixing other stuff.

Yeah, I know this can happen so I added the "just joking ofcourse" to tame down the amateurs aspects. Ofcourse I don't consider them amateurs, but just wanted to point out that if obvious bugs aren't even fixed, then there are most probably a few obnoxious ones luring around... the ones that certification will check first (as they're into protocol, not so much gameplay).

- It's not unusual for multiple engineers to collaborate on major showstopper bugs. Doesn't mean the whole team is doing one thing at a time.

Sure, where I work we sometimes assist eachother to look into weird bugs, but usually that only happens when juniors are stuck fixing their bugs; the senior guys don't usually solve bugs 'together'.

- Why would they show a mode they openly admit needs a lot more work? That's just asking for bad PR.

They showed other buggy stuff (and only basic gameplay). So to me it seems the splitscreen code is probably still in its infancy or otherwise really bugged... or slow... whatever.

- The "straight, lean C++ port" as you put it is the reason there Engine was let go. It was buggy, unoptimized and not built to be upgraded since a lot was hard coded into it. It's also part of the reason every single platform was running on its own custom port. Unity is being used for the ability to have a single code base that runs on everything. That is a huge advantage in coding. PS4, XB1, mobile and Switch should all be running the same engine, so updates should roll out much smoother and faster. The wait time between the PS4/XB1 release and the mobile/Switch should be a lot smaller since by that point they will already have a working game.

Don't understand how the same C++ codebase can not run on each platform... they all support C++ compilers, don't they? Just like they all support Unity with its C# approach (which is then converted to C++ by tools for consoles before it's turned into 'machine language' understood by the processor... maybe some consoles use a JIT compiler just like on PC). The only advantage I see is that the PC version was written using C#/XNA, not C++, so it's easier to port the PC code. But then again: why does it take them so long and why are some people saying "they have to rewrite the full game"... that should only apply to console specific implementations, while most of the visual differences were ironed out.

Also I don't understand your "buggy, unoptimized" remark... aren't we all playing the game right now on consoles, and it seems to perform just fine, even in 4 player splitscreen? Even on last-gen consoles (and WiiU). From my experience straight C++ produces faster code than C#, so the Unity engine must bring something to the table which wasn't provided by the original C++ port. Could be some optimized way of rendering sprites... but that would only benefit the GPU. Not sure if Terraria on consoles is GPU or CPU bound.

Last edited:
Also I don't understand your "buggy, unoptimized" remark... aren't we all playing the game right now on consoles, and it seems to perform just fine, even in 4 player splitscreen? Even on last-gen consoles (and WiiU). From my experience straight C++ produces faster code than C#, so the Unity engine must bring something to the table which wasn't provided by the original C++ port. Could be some optimized way of rendering sprites... but that would only benefit the GPU. Not sure if Terraria on consoles is GPU or CPU bound.
My remark was more about the growing pains that were inherent to the current port. There have been points in console Terraria's update history that were save destroyingly bad. Currently I agree the game is rather solid, but it's taken a lot of work to get there. Plus the original engine was built at a time when Terraria was "finished", so there was never a plan for content to be added to it. Thus they hard coded a lot of stuff that seems to have been a :red: to upgrade later on.

I agree that C++ as a language can be solid. Generally Unity's big advantage is once something is programmed, moving to other platforms is supposed to require very minimal work. Since it's meant to be an upper layer that interfaces with the platform for you, you shouldn't have to recode things for supporting stuff one platform does that another doesn't. In theory it should allow for mobile, PS4, XB1, and Switch to all get new updates almost simultaneously once the initial work is put in. For a single small team that has to handle 4 platforms at the same time this is a huge benefit.

Pretty sure Terraria pushes the CPU pretty hard. It's loading the entire game including the world map into memory and updating the whole thing regularly.

Where are these questions coming from? The only platforms that don't have the same map sizes as everything else are mobile and 3DS. 3DS isn't getting updated, and mobile is too far away for an official answer.

My assumption however is that mobile will still need smaller worlds than the other versions. Who knows though, the One Terraria vision may include making the maps equal too.

As far as I am aware, and I bounce between PC and console frequently, PC is roughly 2.5 times the size of console worlds currently. I want to say that the largest world on console is currently somewhere around Medium for PC and that’s on current-gen consoles.

This is a concern of mine as well. On Expert Mode I like to have a lot of room to do what I need with all of the biomes without having things right on top of each other yet I’ve not even gotten a straight response from Loki on here nor on the streams and I’ve asked quite often. From Loki I was told to ask on stream and on stream they have only said that they “guess so, but don’t know for certain”.

I do hope the map size increases as that’s one of the most important things to me in this One Terraria.

As far as I am aware, and I bounce between PC and console frequently, PC is roughly 2.5 times the size of console worlds currently. I want to say that the largest world on console is currently somewhere around Medium for PC and that’s on current-gen consoles.

This is a concern of mine as well. On Expert Mode I like to have a lot of room to do what I need with all of the biomes without having things right on top of each other yet I’ve not even gotten a straight response from Loki on here nor on the streams and I’ve asked quite often. From Loki I was told to ask on stream and on stream they have only said that they “guess so, but don’t know for certain”.

I do hope the map size increases as that’s one of the most important things to me in this One Terraria.
Well if you can find an actual source for that let me know. The official wiki doesn't differentiate between PC and consoles, but it does for 3DS and mobile. I can say for certain the world sizes feel the same to me.

Well if you can find an actual source for that let me know. The official wiki doesn't differentiate between PC and consoles, but it does for 3DS and mobile. I can say for certain the world sizes feel the same to me.
It can easily be proven. All you have to do is run one direction from large map on both console and pc. I have done it many times and the distance is far greater on the pc.

The best I can do is where articles say current-gen consoles are only 3 times the size of last-gen consoles which is a far cry from what PC boasts.

Further, there is a difference between differentiating between two different platforms in size and not mentioning at all.

But, for the sake of argument, I will boot up the console version and screenshot for posterity.

Edit: This will take longer than anticipated due to consoles not showing numerical distance between team members like on PC and I am unable to load the world into TEdit because reasons. That said, I should be able to update when I’m done with errands tonight.

Last edited:
The biggest thing I hope they fix about console Terraria.. is those damn lines that split the character in half! It's so annoying! Oh and a reworking of the dyes would be nice.

It can easily be proven. All you have to do is run one direction from large map on both console and pc. I have done it many times and the distance is far greater on the pc.
it ain't all that simple, you need to make sure you have no speed increasing accessories, armor, mods (on pc), that the blocks are the same (ice asphalt and some others affect run speed), straight run path, no mobs (they can hit you resetting the run speed and giving slight knockback), and other things. Put a video up for proof of it.

it ain't all that simple, you need to make sure you have no speed increasing accessories, armor, mods (on pc), that the blocks are the same (ice asphalt and some others affect run speed), straight run path, no mobs (they can hit you resetting the run speed and giving slight knockback), and other things. Put a video up for proof of it.

So take a Shroomite Digging Claw (it's the fastest one) and flatten the land, and then take a Bubble Gun, Razorpine, North Pole, Terra Blade, Megashark, or a Razorblade Typhoon, (they can kill about anything, keep in mind with no armor/accessories, mana might be an issue) and keep swinging in front of you, and take a non-movement-speed-reforged Ankh Shield/Obsidian Shield.

And you can wear any wood armor, or any standard ore armor (But not Crimtane or Demonite armor) because they don't have buffs, just defense.

So take a Shroomite Digging Claw (it's the fastest one) and flatten the land, and then take a Bubble Gun, Razorpine, North Pole, Terra Blade, Megashark, or a Razorblade Typhoon, (they can kill about anything, keep in mind with no armor/accessories, mana might be an issue) and keep swinging in front of you, and take a non-movement-speed-reforged Ankh Shield/Obsidian Shield.

And you can wear any wood armor, or any standard ore armor (But not Crimtane or Demonite armor) because they don't have buffs, just defense.
still need a vid because I don't have both versions and even if I did I'd be too lazy to do it

I can't seem to find any mention of this, but what version exactly are we getting? I know it's 1.3, but is that the exact build or is it one of the later builds ( ie: 1.3.5)? I think it would be as late of a build as possible, but seriously, if it's taking this long, I hope they don't stop before 1.3.4.

I can't seem to find any mention of this, but what version exactly are we getting? I know it's 1.3, but is that the exact build or is it one of the later builds ( ie: 1.3.5)? I think it would be as late of a build as possible, but seriously, if it's taking this long, I hope they don't stop before 1.3.4.

1.3.0.7, the most stable, bug-less straight 1.3 there is. (and 1.3.0.1 added some stuff too)

They're coding in Unity, which will make it easier to get to 1.3.4, and so on, but right now, they're focusing on just 1.3 Console, and then 1.3 Mobile, and Switch, then they will work on 1.3.4, hopefully then, Console, Mobile, and Switch will all upload together, since the idea is that now that they have Unity, in addition to being easier to code, it can also upload to multiple platforms at once, because Unity handles all that for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom