NPCs & Enemies Cultist NPC

Do you like this idea?

• Yeah! Terraria has been missing a cultist NPC.

Votes: 19 100.0%
  • Oh, hell no!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

The TechnoMancer

Skeletron Prime
Somebody has probably done this already, but I'm sure mine is quite different.

CULTIST NPC
upload_2017-6-29_12-55-23.png

Requirements:
- Player must be in hardmode.
- Lunatic cultist must be defeated.
- Player must have at least 100 mana.
When enemies are near,
the cultist defends itself by inflicting the "Shadowflame" debuff to nearby enemies, similar to the inferno potion's effect. (
upload_2017-6-29_12-58-34.png
)
Animation:
CultistAnimation.gif

Quotes:
Everyday quotes:
-"Thanks for killing Castro. Who's Castro? Oh, that's just the crazy cultist with that weird mask. He was a pain."
-"You want to know who my master is? I'm sure you've heard of him. He's the moon lord!" (Before defeating moon lord)
-"I tried using a yoyo once. It didn't end well."
-"Are you questioning my merchandise?"

When lunar events are active:
-"You haven't killed the moon lord, have you? Why? No reason." (before defeating moon lord)
-"Go get <name of player>, master! YEAH! Oh, uh... How long have you been listening?
-"I've got to be honest, I really hope master kills you. No, no! I do like you, I just like master more." (before defeating moon lord)

When Mechanic is present:
-"Do you think <name of mechanic> could build a rocket ship for me? I want to go to the moon. No? too bad."

When both mechanic and goblin tinkerer is present:
-"I think I sense some romance between <goblin tinkerer> and <mechanic>."

After defeating Moon Lord:
-"Great. Who am I supposed to worship now? You? ...Yes? That was a joke. I wouldn't worship you to bring back master."
-"I feel depressed. Shame there aren't any therapists around these parts.

When living in the hallow:

-"Why is everything so colorful? And why did a unicorn try to impale me with it's horn?"

When wearing an ancient cultist mask:
-"It's YOU!!! Hey... Very funny, <player name>."

When clothier is present:
-"Do you think <clothier> could patch up my robe? I kind of caught it on fire."

When wizard is present:
-"I really like that <wizard> fellow. I wish Castro was more like him."

When wearing cultist clothes:
-"Have you decided to join my cult? ...No? Then get out of that costume!"
-"Are you trying to impersonate me, <random NPC name>? You aren't them? Well, who are you?"

During blood/pumpkin/frost moon:
-"What the heck? What's with the moon?!"

During solar eclipse:
-"I suggest you place a peace candle nearby. Why? Because the grim reapers are out tonight."

At Night:
-"<Name of Merchant> seems to think the moon is made of cheese. That so isn't true. If the moon was made of cheese, it would be all moldy and gross."
(Thanks to @Huzbubber_Tum for idea.)

SELLS:
- Solar Tablet, for 45
GoldCoin.gif

- Rather than the clothier selling cultist clothes, the cultist NPC himself sells it for 10
GoldCoin.gif
a piece during halloween.
- Lunar flare for 5
PlatinumCoin.gif
(At night, AFTER defeating the moon lord)
- Last prism for 10
PlatinumCoin.gif
(At day, AFTER defeating the moon lord)
- Spectre Staff for 60
GoldCoin.gif

- Super mana potion for 1
GoldCoin.gif

- Super healing potion for 1
GoldCoin.gif

- Strange brew for 1
GoldCoin.gif

- Inferno potion for 5
GoldCoin.gif

- Obsidian skin potion for 5
GoldCoin.gif

- random boss summoning item 50
SilverCoin.gif
(for pre-hardmode summonings) (5
GoldCoin.gif
for hardmode summonings) (at night) (Celestial sigil and voodoo dolls not included) (thank you to MikhailMCraft for the idea)

Attachments

• upload_2017-6-29_12-53-21.png
    upload_2017-6-29_12-53-21.png
    213 bytes · Views: 186
  • upload_2017-6-29_12-54-3.png
    upload_2017-6-29_12-54-3.png
    765 bytes · Views: 264
Last edited:
I like this idea, and i like how even though the cultist is helping the player they're still secretly rooting for the moon lord to win.
the dialogue is based around the character design and personality which is also good.
i'm guessing the only true reason the cultist helps the player is because they defeated castro.
I would suggest adding more items for them to sell at anytime. because right now there's only 4 items you can buy without requiring to have defeated the moon lord or have a certain event happening. and 2 of those are only bought at night.

so overall it's great but could do with selling a few more items, which may be difficult considering the fact that there aren't many end-game/cultist based items in the game.

EDIT: when it says random boss summoning item I assume clothier & guide voodoo doll isn't included as well as the celestial sigil?

Last edited:
@tacticturtle123, you are correct. The Cultist wouldn't sell voodoo dolls.
@WingedOracle, as the cultist said, he likes you, but he just likes the moon lord more.
@amenyoussef, Yes, it is expensive, but it is also post-moon lord. This saves the player a lot of grinding and time. That was my intention.

Thanks for the replies! Even if it wasn't all positive, I appreciate you paying attention to my post.

Last edited:
I started thinking about this idea myself but I scrapped it, as I couldn't think of any good way to do it. Reading your version though, it's great! I really like the personality too! Also, I thought it would be great to have a quote about the moon being made of cheese. Just because. Anyways, I fully support!

Honestly I feel like people really overestimate what a Solar Tablet would cost; 45 gold is way too much, regarding how common fragments are. I would severely reduce the cost to around 5 gold at the very maximum.

- Lunar flare for 5
PlatinumCoin.gif
- Last prism for 10
PlatinumCoin.gif
Instead of him selling only the lunar flare and the last prism, he should sell a random moon lord wep that changes every couple of ingame days, also change it from platinum to about 40 luminite bars, so you would at least have to fight the moon lord more than once to get any of them.

More NPCs, great.... But I actually like this guy. The Solar tablet is rather expensive, I have like 17 and who knows how many fragments in a chest. I like the idea to change the weapon and have it cost luminite, but not that much, good grief. As for the boss summoning items that would be fantastic, but maybe the cost changes with the item so that it's like 20% more expensive to buy than sell, as much as it needs to be so that it's more expensive to buy it from him rather than make it. That way you spend more buying it from him in exchange for not spending the time gathering the stuff and finding a place to craft it at. (I have the hardest time getting lenses....)

- Lunar flare for 5
PlatinumCoin.gif
- Last prism for 10
PlatinumCoin.gif
I personally agree with gagedude89's idea of having him sell random Moon Lord weapons after defeating him. HOWEVER, I disagree with his idea of them costing bars. I think it'd be better if instead of bars or so little platinum, he sells a random Moon Lord weapon EVERY NIGHT, but for the cost of 50 platinum instead of 5 or 10, so there's still some grinding involved, be it boss killing or trash mob grinding.

Either way would work, but then if some one earned a lot of money before beating Moonlord and then went to a friends world and got a post-Moonlord weapon they could get an advantage they were never supposed to have. But with the bars they couldn't, unless they stole the bars from some one... if this happens I'll hide mine. But anyways.... If there was a way of making what he sold dependent on what the character has done it would fix the problem.

The second banner in your signature is great GekkoTadpole.

Either way would work, but then if some one earned a lot of money before beating Moonlord and then went to a friends world and got a post-Moonlord weapon they could get an advantage they were never supposed to have. But with the bars they couldn't, unless they stole the bars from some one... if this happens I'll hide mine. But anyways.... If there was a way of making what he sold dependent on what the character has done it would fix the problem.

The second banner in your signature is great GekkoTadpole.

Well it's still cheating the game. So most people would have the respect to not do that. And even if they didn't have the respect to not do that why wouldn't they just cheat in the items instead of putting in the worthless-extra effort?

Well it's still cheating the game. So most people would have the respect to not do that. And even if they didn't have the respect to not do that why wouldn't they just cheat in the items instead of putting in the worthless-extra effort?

True.... I guess there's no foolproof way to do it then.

How about a "discovery" thing, like with the mechanic/goblin tinkerer/wizard/stylist where you find them somewhere? For this guy, you can find him sitting down behind the dungeon during or after the world's first Lunar Events.
When you first find him, he says something like, "... are you the one? ... the one who killed the others?" or, "Ah! ... please don't kill me. I wasn't really as insane as them..."
Afterwards, he will move into any house available.
If he lives in space and you talk to him, he has a chance of saying something along the lines of, "... if you can hear me, I just want you to know that I've been rooting for you this whole ti-- Oh, hey! Heheh... you didn't hear any of that, did you?" (Well, before ML is killed.)
Another idea, going off of my other comment:
He only sells the ML weapons for 50 platinum during the nighttime IF HE LIVES IN SPACE. It would make more sense, seeing as he's nearer to his "master", who the weapons drop from.

Half my NPCs live in space....
Then I guess you'd have those ML items available every night.

Good on ya, mate.
[doublepost=1500685381,1500685321][/doublepost]
Good point, btw

Thanks for the ideas, guys. I also appreciate negative comments, since they help me improve my threads to appeal to the community. Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom