PC Deathweed and Staff of Regrowth

Barrosy

Plantera
After reading the following on the gamepedia of Terraria:

Deathweed blooms only during a Blood Moon and a Full Moon, and this is the only time that it will drop 1-3 Deathweed Seeds when cut. Deathweed will have a pulsating glow during this time, making it easy to spot. Like other herbs, it can be harvested when not in bloom for the herb itself, but will not drop seeds, making it somewhat slow to cultivate. Harvesting it with the Staff of Regrowth, however, will cause it to drop seeds regardless of the time.

I tried this out, but it seems like it does not work the way I think it was intended (on planterboxes though, not sure if that matters). Or am I reading this incorrectly?
Can anyone tell me if a Staff of Regrowth should always be able to cut down Deathweed and return seed?

To the best of my knowledge, Staff of Regrowth will only yield seeds if the plant is in bloom. If it's not in bloom and it's in a Planter Box, the Staff of Regrowth will not cut it. This is the same for all herb plants.

Harvesting it with the Staff of Regrowth, however, will cause it to drop seeds regardless of the time.
I'm pretty sure this bit is completely wrong. I don't think the Staff of Regrowth can ever produce seeds unless the plant is blooming.

(Due to my workplace's stupid new Internet filtering, the Wiki is blocked, so I currently cannot check it. It may be that I am wrong.)

Edit: Disregard this post. See further information below.

Last edited:
If you harvest a natural herb from the ground, a.k.a corruption/jungle/snow with the staff of regrowth when that herb isn't fully grown, it will drop seeds.

Planted herbs won't be destroyed by the staff of regrowth until they're fully grown; however, you can break them for a chance of the seeds along with copies of the herb.

Like all plants, Deathweed will only drop seeds during its Bloom (Full Moon at Night and Blood Moon).

I have never seen a Staff of Regrowth, nor anything else for that matter, produce Deathweed Seeds any other time. If it ever did, then it was a bug and it was fixed since.

Staff of Regrowth will never harvest a plant that isn't blooming and if it does (esp if it produces seed) then that is a bug and should be reported as such.

Like all plants, Deathweed will only drop seeds during its Bloom (Full Moon at Night and Blood Moon).

I have never seen a Staff of Regrowth, nor anything else for that matter, produce Deathweed Seeds any other time. If it ever did, then it was a bug and it was fixed since.

Staff of Regrowth will never harvest a plant that isn't blooming and if it does (esp if it produces seed) then that is a bug and should be reported as such.
Are you sure about this? The wiki directly says that a chance of seeds to drop is present for grown but not blooming plants.

Are you sure about this? The wiki directly says that a chance of seeds to drop is present for grown but not blooming plants.

I have never, ever, ever seen seeds drop from non-blooming plants and I know the SoR does not harvest non-blooming plants.

I have never, ever, ever seen seeds drop from non-blooming plants and I know the SoR does not harvest non-blooming plants.
On the contrary, for me, seeds have dropped from non-blooming plants that I specifically target with the SoR.

Edit: I just tried right now and it does not seem to work. Perhaps I am wrong, in which case the Wiki also needs fixing.

Last edited:
On the contrary, for me, seeds have dropped from non-blooming plants that I specifically target with the SoR.

Edit: I just tried right now and it does not seem to work. Perhaps I am wrong, in which case the Wiki also needs fixing.

It could have been a bug in a previous version of the game. 1.3.0.4 or some such maybe.

If what my memory is right, the Staff of Regrowth will harvest fully growed herb on grass and drop seeds regardless whether it's growing.
But can only harvest growing hearbs in clay pot or planter box when growing.

If a seed is in bloom it will drop seeds and the herb itself upon use of the SoR. If the seed is not in bloom it can not be picked up by using the SoR, but can still be harvested with a pick axe with only the herb itself dropping and no seeds.

So, if you want seeds from Deathweed wait until a Full Moon or until the next Blood Moon and harvest them then with he SoR for the seeds to drop. The SoR is used to gain more seeds and herbs if in bloom, not to get seeds from non blooming seeded plants.

So the wiki is wrong about using the SoR regardless of time.

So the wiki is wrong about using the SoR regardless of time.
Just tested on Fire Blossom, the wiki is not wrong.
If it's grow on ash block, it can be harvested even if not blooming and drop seeds as long as if fully grown.
But if planted in a pot or planter box, the situation is like what you said.

If you harvest a natural herb from the ground, a.k.a corruption/jungle/snow with the staff of regrowth when that herb isn't fully grown, it will drop seeds.

Planted herbs won't be destroyed by the staff of regrowth until they're fully grown; however, you can break them for a chance of the seeds along with copies of the herb.

If what my memory is right, the Staff of Regrowth will harvest fully growed herb on grass and drop seeds regardless whether it's growing.
But can only harvest growing hearbs in clay pot or planter box when growing.

I agree with the wiki and NetherArum and felis. And I just retested it.

On planted herbs in a pot or planter box - will only harvest and drop seeds for herbs in bloom.
On naturally growing herbs - will harvest herbs that are both in bloom and not in bloom and will drop seeds.

Here's my Mr. Robot gardening....
KNmDorI.gif
apKW220.gif

Kinda strange for them to do that, it doesn't really make sense.

I don't get why it makes any difference where the plant is growing to be honest.

Ok so the wiki still says you can get seeds from gully grown plants with the staff of regrowth, but when i harvest fully-grown natural deathweed that is not blooming with the staff pf regrowth it gives me nothing not even the plant.

Ok so the wiki still says you can get seeds from gully grown plants with the staff of regrowth, but when i harvest fully-grown natural deathweed that is not blooming with the staff pf regrowth it gives me nothing not even the plant.
Are you harvesting the deathweed from A) ebonstone/crimstone, B) from a planter box, or C) from a clay pot?

Has to be from A) ebonstone/crimstone if you want the Staff of Regrowth to drop plant&seeds from a fully grown, but not blooming deathweed.

Editing in the addition of this table:
Herb Details - Assume Fully Grown | Using Pickaxe | Using Staff of Regrowth
Naturally grown - not blooming | herb | herb & seeds
Naturally grown - blooming | herb & seeds | herb & seeds
Planterbox/Clay Pot - not blooming | herb | nothing
Planterbox/Clay Pot - blooming | herb & seeds | extra herbs & extra seeds

Last edited:
Are you harvesting the deathweed from A) ebonstone/crimstone, B) from a planter box, or C) from a clay pot?

Has to be from A) ebonstone/crimstone if you want the Staff of Regrowth to drop plant&seeds from a fully grown, but not blooming deathweed.

Editing in the addition of this table:
Herb Details - Assume Fully Grown | Using Pickaxe | Using Staff of Regrowth
Naturally grown - not blooming | herb | herb & seeds
Naturally grown - blooming | herb & seeds | herb & seeds
Planterbox/Clay Pot - not blooming | herb | nothing
Planterbox/Clay Pot - blooming | herb & seeds | extra herbs & extra seeds

natural meaning on ebonston/crimstone which i specified and no i get nothing when harvesting deathweed with the SoR on either of those

Back
Top Bottom