Game Mechanics Debuff Resistance - Improvements and changes to immunity items.

SzGamer227

Spazmatism
Here's the thing. Since Venom and Blackout are such rare debuffs, I don't want to add a whole new immunity accessory for them. At the same time, there should be some way of mitigating their effects. Also, Hand Warmer needs to be made available outside of the winter season, but not provide complete immunity to the Frozen debuff. My solution:

Blindfold.png

Blindfold would provide resistance to Blackout in addition to immunity to Darkness. This would mean that when something would ordinarily inflict Blackout, you would have a 50% chance to avoid getting it.

Bezoar.png

Same with the Bezoar. It would provide resistance to Venom in the same way.

Hand_Warmer.png

The Hand Warmer would be dropped by all enemies which inflict Chilled and Frozen debuffs (with the exception of Frost Moon enemies), but provide resistance to Frozen debuff instead of complete immunity to make up for its increased availability. It should also be a part in making the Ankh Charm.

Ankh_Charm.png

Ankh Charm would gain Venom, Blackout, and Frozen resistance, as well as provide immunity to the Chilled debuff.

Ankh_Shield.png

Ankh Shield would grant resistance to the On Fire! debuff. That way, the only debuffs that you will ever really have to worry about are Cursed Inferno, Ichor, and various environmental debuffs (Suffocation and other such debuffs).

Obsidian_Skull.png

It would be possible to give Obsidian Skull and its all of its upgrades resistance to the On Fire! debuff instead of just making it exclusive to the Ankh Shield, but since it's a weaker accessory, it doesn't strictly have to be.

Well, that's about it. If you have any thoughts or concerns, feel free to leave a comment. Feedback is always appreciated.

If you like the idea, but don't think that this would be an especially useful change, check out my other suggestion:
http://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/late-game-enemies-and-their-lack-of-debuffs.1507/

Last edited:
I like this not sure about the on fire resistance (well unless your more late game debuffs from enemies thread comes true)
otherwise looks good always been annoyed that the hand warmer didn't tinker with anything...

For the hand warmer how about it can be tinkered with the blindfold (forming something based on winterized headgear)
always felt weird that the blindfold was combined raw into the ankh shield when all the other parts are their own tinker

Last edited:
Yes please! It's quite annoying getting the blackout debuff, or getting slowed down because of all the enemies that cause Chilled

I wholeheartedly agree with this suggestion. However, I don't really like the idea of items that just give resistance as opposed to just straight up cancelling out debuffs. Maybe the Ankh should could have another level of tinkering to include that feature?

What if instead of a chance to cancel the more powerful debuffs, it just inflicted the weaker version? So with the blindfold, you are immune to blindness but blackout has the effects of blindness. Similarly, the hand warmer downgrades frozen into chilled, and the bezoar downgrades venom into poison. Then they are still a threat that can be reduced by the appropriate accessory without being a simple 50/50 chance.

What if instead of a chance to cancel the more powerful debuffs, it just inflicted the weaker version? So with the blindfold, you are immune to blindness but blackout has the effects of blindness. Similarly, the hand warmer downgrades frozen into chilled, and the bezoar downgrades venom into poison. Then they are still a threat that can be reduced by the appropriate accessory without being a simple 50/50 chance.
How would that be handled, though? Wouldn't the Bezoar just cancel the Poisoned debuff then?

That would end up being a bit more complicated to implement that it seems.

How would that be handled, though? Wouldn't the Bezoar just cancel the Poisoned debuff then?

Well, it would probably still show up as venom, or a unique buff like "reduced venom" with poison's effects. Not too hard.

Well, it would probably still show up as venom, or a unique buff like "reduced venom" with poison's effects. Not too hard.
From a code point of view, it would be rather simple to have the default Venom, Frozen or Blackout debuff simply have the reduced effect as long as you have buff immunity to the weaker version. That's the easiest way to check if you have the respective item equipped, though it'll bind Venom, Frozen and Blackout resistance to Poison, Chilled and Blindness immunity.

definitely a cool suggestion, i'm not sure about downgrading immunities, but gaining resistances/shortened (non immunities) durations would be a nice addition for things we're not immune to.

Back
Top Bottom