tAPI [Discontinued] tAPI - A Mod To Make Mods

Status
Not open for further replies.
I right clicked it & opened properties, I don't see local files.
In Steam, not in the Terraria folder... The idea here is to get steam to redownload any missing files. That will effectively uninstall tAPI the easiest way possible.

To clarify what happens: When you install tAPI for a Steam version of Terraria it renames Terraria.exe to TerrariaOriginal.exe and puts tAPI in as Terraria.exe (Unless you are using Game Launcher, then it doesn't). This is done so you can launch tAPI through Steam by clicking Terraria in your Steam library.

As confusing as that sounds, to uninstall Terraria you can either rename TerrariaOriginal.exe back to Terraria.exe OR you can have steam verify the local game cache which will redownload any missing or unrecognized files.

Is there a way to modify the default AIs in a .cs file? Like say I wanted to make an antlion type monster that shot grenades instead of sand pellets. Would that be possible?

Is there a way to modify the default AIs in a .cs file? Like say I wanted to make an antlion type monster that shot grenades instead of sand pellets. Would that be possible?
Seriosly, last few pages contains discussion about exactly that.

Options are:
1. Write AI from scratch
2. Copy original AI and modify
3. Use dirty hack and replace projectiles
And final option just takes some in-memory patching of IL assembly at right places and clearing JIT cache in CLR runtime. Though it is also a hack.

In Steam, not in the Terraria folder... The idea here is to get steam to redownload any missing files. That will effectively uninstall tAPI the easiest way possible.

To clarify what happens: When you install tAPI for a Steam version of Terraria it renames Terraria.exe to TerrariaOriginal.exe and puts tAPI in as Terraria.exe (Unless you are using Game Launcher, then it doesn't). This is done so you can launch tAPI through Steam by clicking Terraria in your Steam library.

As confusing as that sounds, to uninstall Terraria you can either rename TerrariaOriginal.exe back to Terraria.exe OR you can have steam verify the local game cache which will redownload any missing or unrecognized files.
I still don't see "View game cache" or whatever. Let me just delete terraria completely then get a flashdrive & copy it from my other computer -.-

I still don't see "View game cache" or whatever. Let me just delete terraria completely then get a flashdrive & copy it from my other computer -.-
Why would you have to copy it from your other computer? Just reinstall it through steam...
https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=2037-QEUH-3335

Unless you don't have the steam version but I did say earlier "If you have steam"

Well, however you go about doing it - sorry you have to uninstall tAPI

Okay, I managed to get my own event working with the help of the GRealm code, but the visuals I planned I can't work out. First off, how do i make yellow rain particles spawn without actually setting the rain to true? Secondly, how do I change the color/image of the background during the event? And lastly, GRealm uses a GetMusic() method to change the music, but when I add it to my code, it doesn't work. I have tried multiple things for all three problems, but none of it worked. Is there someone who knows this perhaps?

Okay, I managed to get my own event working with the help of the GRealm code, but the visuals I planned I can't work out. First off, how do i make yellow rain particles spawn without actually setting the rain to true? Secondly, how do I change the color/image of the background during the event? And lastly, GRealm uses a GetMusic() method to change the music, but when I add it to my code, it doesn't work. I have tried multiple things for all three problems, but none of it worked. Is there someone who knows this perhaps?
For rain, if you can't /won't use existing code, obviously u need to write your own, or find a mod that does it. Perhaps see how vanilla rain code functions and mimic the pertinent parts.

Idk about bg. Checked custom biome in grealm?

Someone recently got music working in this topic, Mebbe u can text search somehow.

Last edited:
so arbitrary and intentional? (as an entry in the 'feature collumn'..i figured it was a function thing that made it impossible and was trying to think of what it would be lol thanks, nevermind then) (tiny bit odd a mod to enable mods would intentionally restrict people from what could easily be a voluntary option though. code would be an obvious reason, and I'd see it being shut off because while vanilla to tapi may work tapi back to vanilla would best case need to cleanse anything modded(even that more normally done with a popup and checkbox) but whatever, its your mod : -P
in that case anybody know a tapi friendly map editor?

Last edited:
so arbitrary and intentional? (as an entry in the 'feature' collumn? i figured it was a function thing that made it impossible and was trying to think of what it could be lol)
Well, it would require some code to convert a world over and then save it tAPI style (albeit simple code)... But yeah, it was intentionally left out. We didn't think there would be any real need to convert vanilla stuff over to tAPI. Especially since some mods change worldgen and character creation.

Long story short, completely intentional.

The idea was that vanilla and tAPI experiences should remain separate.

Not cool... We have enough going on in this thread, please try to keep your posts here useful as there are a lot of questions.
Not cool to make people feel like they might get in trouble for being critical of problems; that can create a bad atmosphere quickly. I think converting maps is a clearly "useful" feature; say I downloaded biome castle, or a favorite capture the gem map, and want to use in / convert to tapi. And it seems very reasonable someone might play through vanilla, finish / run out of content, THEN find out about TAPI, and want to try a new boss or some such without playing through the entire thing again.

I myself have an airship that I apparently cannot copy / paste into my TAPI world due to this.

Not cool to make people feel like they might get in trouble for being critical of problems; that can create a bad atmosphere quickly. I think converting maps is a clearly "useful" feature; say I downloaded biome castle, or a favorite capture the gem map, and want to use in / convert to tapi. And it seems very reasonable someone might play through vanilla, finish / run out of content, THEN find out about TAPI, and want to try a new boss or some such without playing through the entire thing again.

I myself have an airship that I apparently cannot copy / paste into my TAPI world due to this.

the "not cool" was in reference to someone making a useless post - not about the map thing. If you look back you will see I quoted someone... Sorry for the confusion. As for support for opening custom maps and characters I have added it as a requested feature for r15.

Hey, I'm new to Terraria modding or game modding in general, and I wanted to know if it was possible to rename an item and or alter its recipe. I looked around but couldn't find some tutorial and I don't know much about coding, I did watch a few videos about just adding items, can someone help me?

Uhh, for some odd reason, @Shockah, mind explaining to me what's going on? I'm trying to host a server using tAPI and play with my friend but me and my friend gets some error bugs while running the game.

how do you make a recipe that produces a item already in the game? i know how to write a item .json file and a recipe for item in the .json file but not for items already in the game.

Hey, I'm new to Terraria modding or game modding in general, and I wanted to know if it was possible to rename an item and or alter its recipe. I looked around but couldn't find some tutorial and I don't know much about coding, I did watch a few videos about just adding items, can someone help me?
Since pretty much everything in Terraria, apart from sounds and textures, are hardcoded (in other words - embedded right into program code), altering existing content is nearly impossible thing (rare programming language allows such runtime code manipulation). On the other hand, how do you think, what would happen if two or more mods will try to modify same items?

how do you make a recipe that produces a item already in the game? i know how to write a item .json file and a recipe for item in the .json file but not for items already in the game.
I would try direct way - add recipe using Recipe class methods in ModBase.OnLoad and remove them in ModBase.OnUnload. Maybe someone could shine some light on "Vanilla" prefix in JSONs, because i haven't check it out yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom