(Discussion) Wand of Sparking: A Blessing or a Curse?

Wand of Sparking is...

• a blessing.

• a curse.

• potato and pie.

• an OK mate weapon.

Results are only viewable after voting.
*casually looks at my mage loadouts*
I like the Wand of Sparking. A lot. It helps with exploration (easy cheap short light go brrr), it's surprisingly good during battles because it inflicts On Fire, it barely needs mana, and no idea why it does this or if it's supposed to but it's affected by the Frost Armor set bonus (at least it used to, haven't checked the newest version yet because I keep forgetting to), and that's just stupid.

Here’s the thing about Wand of Sparking.

Its stats are very good for a wood chest item, packing substantially more DPS than pretty much anything else you can get by running around on the surface except Enchanted Sword and Terragrim. It’s also the most mana-sustainable mage weapon in the game, because you’ll have much less mana by now.

However, it has no knockback. During this early stage of the game when you can’t outrun or outDPS most enemies, knockback is important. Wand of Sparking won’t help against demon eyes, bats, eaters, zombies approaching from both sides, or anything else of the sort. That’s a pretty big deal.

As far as wood chest items go, Blowpipe post-buff doesn’t even have that much less DPS than Wand of Sparking and actually has existant knockback, and I’d much rather get that then the Wand. I’d also take an Enchanted Boomerang over it - thing has very good range and a :red: ton of knockback, so even if its DPS is low it’s probably the best wood chest weapon for just getting things off of you.

That said I can’t call it a “curse” because it’s essential for mage runs. If you don’t get it, you end up stuck playing boxes until you get some gems. Overall though, due to its lack of knockback and that specifically, I can’t say I find it that good of a weapon.

Back
Top Bottom